Shelkunoff circle synthesis techniques are only effective for equispaced antenna arrays. These techniques are based on reorganizing the zeros on the Shelkunoff circle. We propose a technique based on locating complex-direction zeros to synthesize arbitrary on-board antenna arrays. It is based on the analytical continuation of Green's functions and on a new representation of the complex plane (analogous to the Shelkunoff circle).
1. Shelkunoff, S. A., "A mathematical theory of linear arrays," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 22, 80-107, 1943.
2. Woodward, P. M. and J. P. Lawson, The theoretical precision with which an arbitrary radiation pattern may be obtained from a source of finite size, Proc. IEEE, Vol. 95, No. 1, 120-126, 1948.
3. Orchard, H. J., R. S. Elliott, and G. J. Stern, Optimising the synthesis of shaped beam antenna patterns, IEE Proc., Vol. 132, No. 1, 63-68, 1985.
4. Ares-Pena, F., "A note on the limitations of Orchard's method," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 44, No. 1, 2002. doi:10.1109/74.997924
5. Cid, J. M., J. A. Rodriguez, F. Ares, and F. Moreno, "Synthesis of satellite footprints by perturbation of Woodward-Lawson solutions for planar array antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 14, 3-10, 2000. doi:10.1163/156939300X00527
6. Ares, F., S. R. Rengarajan, E. Villanueva, E. Skochinski, and E. Moreno, "Application of genetic algorithms and simulated annealing technique in optimising the aperture distributions of antenna array patterns," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 3, 148-149, 1996. doi:10.1049/el:19960157
7. Kedar, A., P. N. S. Kutiyal, M. Garg, and U. K. Revankar, "Wide band low profile linear microstrip antenna array with cosecant square-shaped beam pattern," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 4, 963-965, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22309
8. Vescovo, R., "Beam scanning with null and excitation constraints for linear arrays of antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 267-277, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378817
9. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05112801
10. Dessouky, M., H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, "Efficient sidelobe reduction technique for small-sized concentric circular arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 187-200, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06092503
11. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase synthesis of dual-pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06072301
12. Zhang, Y. F. and W. Cao, "Array pattern synthesis based on weighted biorthogonal modes," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1367-1376, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779276875
14. Obelleiro, F., L. Landesa, J. M. Taboada, and J. L. Rodriguez, "Synthesis of onboard array antennas including interaction with the mounting platform and mutual coupling effects," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 43, No. 2, 76-82, 2001. doi:10.1109/74.924606
15. Landesa, L., J. L. Rodriguez, F. Obelleiro, and A. G. Pino, "Pattern synthesis of array antennas in presence of dielectric bodies," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 35, No. 3, 1522-1525, 1999. doi:10.1109/20.767257
17. Lozano, M. V. and F. Ares, "Antenna array pattern synthesis in the presence of near-zone scatterers: Three-dimensional vector case," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, 1493-1507, 1999. doi:10.1163/156939399X00529
18. Su, T. and H. Ling, "Array beamforming in the presence of a mounting tower using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2011-2019, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848449
19. Capozzoli, A. and G. D'Elia, "Global optimization: Applications to advanced reflector antennas synthesis and diagnosis techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 195-232, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER04123001
20. Capozzoli, A. and G. D'Elia, "Global optimization and antennas synthesis and diagnosis, Part two: Applications to advanced reflector antennas synthesis and diagnosis techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 233-261, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05032503
21. Ayestaran, R. G., F. Las-Heras, and J. A. Martínez, "Nonuniform- antenna array synthesis using neural networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1001-1011, 2007.
22. Steyskal, H., "Synthesis of antenna patterns with imposed nearfield nulls," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 4, 2000-2001, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19941417
23. Allen, O. E. and W. Wasylkiwskyj, "Circularly polarized array pattern synthesis with electromagnetic compatibility constraints," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 48, No. 1, 251-254, 2006. doi:10.1109/TEMC.2005.861370
24. Landesa, L., F. Obelleiro, J. L. Rodriguez, J. A. Rodriguez, F. Ares, and A. G. Pino, "Pattern synthesis of array antennas with additional isolation of near field arbitrary objects," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 16, 1540-1542, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19981081
25. Harrington, R. F., Field Computations by Moment Method in Electromagnetics, Krieger, Malabar, Fla., 1982.