A novel design of a dual-polarized broadband 2-18 GHz horn antenna with VSWR≤2.2 is presented. The designed horn antenna is most suitable as a feed element in reflectors of the radar systems and EMC applications. A coaxial line to quadruple-ridged waveguide transition with a new conical cavity back and a technique for tapering the flared section of the horn is introduced to improve the return loss and matching of the impedance, respectively. In order to overcome the deterioration of the broadside radiation pattern at higher frequencies, common to broad band ridged horn antennas, a new modified horn antenna with arc shaped aperture is introduced. Results of simulation obtained via two different software packages, HFSS and CST, for VSWR, isolation, radiation patterns, and gain of the designed quad ridged horn antenna as well as the modified horn antenna are presented and discussed.
1. Li, H., B. Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "Novel broadband reflectarray antenna with compound-cross-loop elements for millimeter-wave application," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1333-1340, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239528
2. Ren, W., J. Y. Deng, and K. S. Chen, "Compact PCB monopole antenna for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1411-1420, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239401
3. Coulibaly, Y., T. A. Denidani, and L. Talbi, "Design of a broadband hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for X-band," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1629-1642, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292354
4. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Compact UWB bandnotch with transmission-line-fed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121407
5. Xioa, S., J. Chen, X.-F. Liu, and B. Z. Wang, "Spatial focusing characteristics of time reversal UWB pulse transmission with different antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 189-206, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07111812
6. Yin, X.-C., C. Ruan, Y.-C. Ding, and J.-H. Chua, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
7. Khan, S. N., J. Hu, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Circular fractal monopole antenna for low Vswr UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 19-25, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07110903
8. Jiao, J.-J., G. Zhao, F.-S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-FED T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07070904
9. Saed, M. A., "Broadband CPW-FED planar slot antennas with various tuning stubs," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 66, 199-212, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112703
10. Green, H. E., "The radiation pattern of a conical horn," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 9, 1149-1160, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306777442999
11. Milligan, T. A., Modern Antenna Design, John Wily & Sons, New Jersey, 2005.
12. Cohn, S. B., Properties of ridged waveguide, Proc. IRE, Vol. 35, No. 8, 783-778, 1947.
14. Walton, K. L. and V. C. Sundberg, "Broadband ridged horn design," Microwave Journal, No. 3, 96-101, 1964.
15. Reig, C. and E. Navarro, "FDTD analysis of E-sectoral horn antenna for broadband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1485-1487, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.633854
16. Bunger, R., R. Beyer, and F. Arndt, "FDTD analysis of Esectoral horn antennas for broadband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 11, 1641-1648, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.814943
17. Bruns, C., P. Leuchtman, and R. Vahldieck, "Analysisandsimulationofa1-18GHzbroadbanddouble-ridgedhornantenna," IEEE Trans. Electrmagn. Compat., Vol. 45, No. l, 55-60, 2003.
18. Rodriguez, V., "New broadband EMC double-ridged guide horn antenna," R. F. Des., No. 5, 44-47, 2004.
19. Abbas-Azimi, M., F. Arazm, J. Rashed-Mohassel, and R. Faraji- Dana, "Designandoptimizationofanew1-18GHzdoubleridgedguidehornantenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 501-516, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780616810
20. Joardar, S., "Two new ultra wideband dual polarized antennafeeds using planar log periodic antenna and innovative frequency independent reflectors," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1465-1479, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274318
21. Mallahzadeh, A. R., A. A. Dastranj, and H. R. Hassani, "A novel dual-polarized double-ridged horn antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 67-80, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07101602
22. Sun, W. and C. A. Balanis, "Analysis and design of quadruple ridged waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 42, No. 12, 2201-2207, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.339743
23. Soroka, S., A physically compact quad ridged horn design, IEEE Antenna and Propag. Society International Symposium, Vol. 24, No. 6, 903-904, 1986.
24. Shen, Z. and C. Feng, "A new dual-polarized broadband horn antenna," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 4, 270-273, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.852998
25. Dehdasht-Heydari, R., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "Quad ridged horn antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 79, 23-38, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091602