We use coordinate transformation theory to realize substrates that can modify the emission of an embedded source. Simulation results show that with proper transformation functions the energy radiated by a source embedded in these space variant media will be concentrated in a narrow beam. The thickness of the slab achieved with our transformations will no longer be restricted by the evanescent modes and the source can be placed at any position along the boundary of the substrate without affecting the radiation pattern. We also discuss the case where reduced parameters are used,whic h still performs well and is physically realizable.
1. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Con trolling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
2. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1133628
3. Cummer, S. A., B.-I. Popa, D. Schurig, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "F ull-wave simulations of electromagnetic cloaking structures," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.74.036621
4. Schurig, D., J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, "Calculation of material properties and ray tracing in transformation media," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.009794
5. Zolla, F., S. Guenneau, A. Nicolet, and J. B. Pendry, "Electromagnetic analysis of cylindrical invisibility cloaks and the mirage effect," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.001069
6. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Optical cloaking with metamaterials," Nat. Photonics, Vol. 1, 2007. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2007.28
7. Weder, R., "A rigorous time-domain analysis of full-wave electromagnetic cloaking," eprint ArXiv: 0704.0248, 2007.
8. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, B. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic wave interactions with metamaterial cloak," Phys. Rev. Letts., Vol. 99, 2007.
9. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Nonmagnetic cloak with minimized scattering," Appl. Phys. Letts., Vol. 91, 2007.
10. Weder, R., "A rigorous analysis of high order electromagnetic invisibility cloaks," eprint eprint ArXiv: 0711.0507, 2007.
11. Sihvola, A. H., "Peculiarities in the dielectric response of negativepermittivity scatters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 191-198, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112001
12. Rahm, M., D. Schurig, D. A. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, and D. R. Smith, "Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwell's equations," eprint ArXiv: 0706.2452, 2007.
13. Yaghjian, A. D. and S. Maci, "Alternative derivation of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators," eprint ArXiv 0710.2933, 2007.
14. Chen, H. and C. T. Chan, "Transformation media that rotate electromagnetic fields," Appl. Phys. Letts., Vol. 90, 2007.
15. Tsang, M. and D. Psaltis, "Magnifying perfect lens and superlens design by coordinate transformation," eprint ArXiv: 0708.0262, 2007.
16. Kildishev, A. V. and E. E. Narimanov, "Imp edance-matched hyperlens," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, 2007.
17. Zhang, J., J. Huangfu, Y. Luo, H. Chen, J. A. Kong, and B.- I. Wu, "Cloak for multilayered and gradually changing media," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, 2008.
18. Rahm, M., S. A. Cummer, D. Schurig, J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, "Optical design of reflectionless complex media by finite embedded coordinate transformations," eprint ArXiv: 0711.1846, 2007.
19. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04070701
20. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, J. Lu, T. Grzegorczyk, J. A. Kong, P . Kao, P . A. Theophelakes, and M. J. Hogan, "Anisotropic metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance directivity," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 2006.
21. Ouyang, J., F. Yang, S. W. Yang, and Z. P. Nie, "A novel single layer broadband interdigital microstrip antenna," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 21, No. 14, 2121-2127, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152876
22. Chen, K., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel microstrip dipole antenna with wideband and end-fire properties," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 21, No. 12, 1679-1688, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307781870925
23. Chen, Y. B., X. F. Liu, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "A frequency reconfigurable CPW-fed slot antenna," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 21, No. 12, 1673-1678, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307781870871
24. Peng, L. and C.-L. Ruan, "A microstrip fed monopole patch antenna with three stubs for dual-band WLAN applications," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 21, No. 15, 2359-2369, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134263
25. Gupta, R. C. and S. P. Singh, "Analysis of radiation patterns of compound box-horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 31-44, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07060301
26. Ain, M., S. Hassan, J. Mandeep, M. Othman, B. M. Nawang, S. Sreekantan, D. Hutagalung, and A. Z. Ahmad, "2.5 GHz Batio3 dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 201-210, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071102
27. Weng, Z.-B., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Design and experiment of one dimension and two dimension metamaterial structures for directive emission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 199-209, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07010301
28. Makki, S. V., T. Z. Ershadi, and M. S. Abrishamian, "Determining the specific ground conductivity aided by the horizontal electric dipole antenna near the ground surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 43-65, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07093003
29. Mallahzadeh, A. R., A. A. Dastranj, and H. R. Hassani, "A novel dual-polarized double-ridged horn antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 67-80, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07101602