Analysis of wave function intensity, eigen energy and transmission coefficients in GaN/AlGaN superlattice nanostructure has been carried out using Transfer Matrix Method (TMM). The effect of change in Aluminum mole fraction in AlxGa1−xN barrier region has been included through variable effective mass in the Schrödinger time independent equation. The behaviour of wave function intensity has been studied for superlattice structure by changing the barrier width. The effect of smaller barrier width on wave function intensity in case of superlattice is clearly observed due to interaction of wave functions in the adjacent wells and it provides a new insight in the nature of interacting wave functions for thin barriers in GaN/AlGaN superlattice structures. The barrier widths have been optimized for the varying number of wells leading to better quantum confinement. The iterative method (Secant Method) is used to determine value of electron energy E. The number of iterations need to converge the value of E has been simulated. Transmission coefficients have been determined as a function of energy E considering tunneling effect for three well structures using TMM. Analysis has been extended to show surface image of wave function intensity for 5 and 6 wells.
1. Yonenaga, I., "High-temperature strength of IIICV nitride crystals," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 14, 12947-12951, 2002. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/14/48/336
2. Mohammad, S. N., A. A. Salvador, and M. Hadis, Emerging gallium nitride based devices, Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 83, No. 10, 1306-1355, 1995.
3. Krishnan, M. S., N. Goldsman, and A. Christou, "Transport simulation of bulk AlxGa1—xN and the two-dimensional electron gas at the AlxGa1-xN/GaN," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 83, 1, 1998. doi:10.1063/1.366694
4. Franssen, G., P. Perlin, and T. Suski, "Photocurrent spectroscopy as a tool for determining piezoelectric fields in InxGa1-xN/GaN multiple quantum well light emitting diodes," Physical Review B, Vol. 69, 045310-045316, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.69.045310
5. Patil, D. S. and D. K. Gautam, "Analysis of effect of temperature on ZnSSe based blue laser diode characteristics at 507nm wavelength," Physica B, Vol. 344, 140-146, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.physb.2003.09.249
6. Patil, D. S. and D. K. Gautam, "Computer analysis and optimization of physical and material parameters of the blue laser diode," Optics Communications, Vol. 201, 413-423, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0030-4018(01)01703-5
7. Samuel, E. P., M. P. Bhole, and D. S. Patil, "Mode confinement and near field intensity analysis in a GaN-based blue-green laser diode," Semiconductor Science and Technology, Vol. 21, 993-997, 2006. doi:10.1088/0268-1242/21/8/001
8. Craven, M. D., P. Waltereit, J. S. Speck, and S. P. Den Baars, "Well-width dependence of photoluminescence emission from aplane GaNAlGaN multiple quantum wells," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 84, 2004.
9. Christiansen, K., M. Luenenbuerger, B. Schineller, M. Heuken, and H. Juergensen, "Advances in MOCVD technology for research, development and mass production of compound semiconductor devices," Opto-electronics Review, Vol. 10, No. 4, 237-242, 2002.
10. Ambacher, O., "Growth and applications of Group III-nitrides," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 31, 2653-2710, 1998. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/31/20/001
11. Polyakov, A. Y., N. B. Smirnov, A. V. Govorkov, A. V. Osinsky, P. E. Norris, S. J. Pearton, J. Van Hove, A. M. Wowchack, and P. P. Chow, "Optical properties of undoped n-AlGaN/GaN superlattices as affected by built-in and external-electric field and by Ar-implantation-induced partial disordering," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 90, 2001. doi:10.1063/1.1405819
12. Abdi-Ben, N. S., N. Sfina, N. Bouarissa, and M. Said, "Modelling of ZnSxSe1-xZnSySe1-y band offsets and QW for green-yellow applications," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, Vol. 18, 3005-3016, 2006. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/18/11/007
13. Ren, Z., R. Venugopal, S. Goasguen, S. Datta, and M. S. Lundstrom, "NanoMOS 2.5: A two-dimensional simulator for quantum transport in double-gate MOSFETs," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 50, No. 9, 1914-1925, 2003. doi:10.1109/TED.2003.816524
14. Glanemann, M., V. M. Axt, and T. Kuhn, "Transport of a wave packet through nanostructures: Quantum kinetics of carrier capture processes," Physical Review B, Vol. 72, 045354-045366, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.72.045354
15. Lindblad, H. and A. Soffer, "Scattering and small data completeness for the critical. nonlinear Schrodinger equation," Nonlinearity, Vol. 19, 345-353, 2006. doi:10.1088/0951-7715/19/2/006
16. Jonsson, B. and T. E. Sverre, "Solving the Schrodinger equation in arbitrary quantum-wellpotential profiles using the transfer matrix method," IEEE J. Quantum Elecrron, Vol. 26, No. 11, 2025-2035, 1990. doi:10.1109/3.62122
17. Talele, K., E. P. Samuel, and D. S. Patil, "InvestigationofnearfieldintensityinGaNMQWin300-375nanometerwavelengthranges," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 1122-1130, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784158823
18. Chen, C.-N., K.-F. Yarn, W.-J. Luo, J.-C. Chiang, I. Lo, W.- T. Wang, M.-H. Gau, H.-F. Kao, M.-E. Lee, W.-C. Chuang, W.- C. Chang, and T.-C. Cheng, "Effects of giant optical anisotropy in R-plane GaN/AlGaN quantum wells by valence band mixing," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 6, 562-566, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS060801054904
19. Garc, A., V. Grimalsky, A. Silva, P. Rivera, A. Morales, and F. Marroqu, "Amplifcation of acoustic-electromagnetic waves in GaN films," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1232-1235, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS070221003000
20. Chen, C. N., W. C. Chien, K. F. Yarn, S.-H. Chang, and M. Hung, "Intrinsic optical anisotropy in zinc-blende semiconductor quantum wells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, No. 26, 223-226, 2005.
21. Gaggero-Sager, L. M., N. Moreno-Martinez, I. Rodriguez-Vargas, R. Perez-Alvarez, V. V. Grimalsky, and M. E. Mora-Ramos, "Electronic structure as a function of temperature for Si doped quantum wells in GaAs," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 851-854, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061006210621
22. Ahmed, I. and A. R. Baghai-Wadji, "1D canonical and perturbed quantum potentialwell problem: A universal function approach," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 4, 481-485, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061202054627
23. Srivastava, R., S. Pati, and S. P. Ojha, "Enhancement of omnidirectional reflection in photonic crystal heterostructures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 197-208, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102903
24. Lu, J., B.-I. Wu, J. A. Kong, and M. Chen, "Guided modes with a linearly varying transverse field inside a lefthanded dielectric slab," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 689-697, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776137728
25. Fan, G. F., J. P. Ning, L. J. Shang, Q. Han, and Z. Q. Chen, "Theoretical analysis and design of non-collinear guided-wave acousto-optic devices," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1837-1844, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292255
26. Mora-Ramos, M. E., R. Perez-Alvarez, and V. R. Velasco, "The electrostatic potential associated to interface phonon modes in nitride single heterostructures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 27-33, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07111806
27. Samuel, E. P. and D. S. Patil, "Analysis of wavefunction distribution in quantum well biased laser diode using transfer matrix method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 119-128, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07111902
28. Tarkhanyan, R. H. and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves on the lateral surface of a ferrite/semiconductor superlattice at quantum Hall-effect conditions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 29, 321-335, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIER00011901