Design of a compact dual frequency microstrip antenna is presented. The structure consists of a slotted circular patch with a dielectric superstrate. The superstrate, not only acts as a radome, but improves the bandwidth and lowers the resonant frequency also. The proposed design provides an overall size reduction of about 60% compared to an unslotted patch along with good efficiency, gain and bandwidth. The polarization planes at the two resonances are orthogonal and can be simultaneously excited using a coaxial feed. Parametric study of this configuration showed that the frequency ratio of the two resonances can be varied from 1.17 to 1.7 enabling its applications in the major wireless communication bands like AWS, DECT, PHS, Wi.Bro, ISM, and DMB. Design equations are also deduced for the proposed antenna and validated.
"Compact Dual Band Slot Loaded Circular Microstrip Antenna with a Superstrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 83, 245-255, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08052201
1. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
2. Wong, K. L. and W. S. Chen, "Compact microstrip antenna with dual-frequency operation," Electronic Letters, Vol. 33, 646-647, April 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970433
3. Kaya, A., "Meandered slot and slit loaded compact microstrip antenna with integrated impedance tuning network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 219-235, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102601
4. Sim, C. Y. D., "Experimental studies of a shorted triangular microstrip patch antenna embedded with dual V-shaped slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 15-24, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391777
6. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Patch antennas with switchable slots (PASS) in wireless communications: Concepts,designs, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 2, 13-28, April 2005. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1487774
7. Khodaei, G. F., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "A practical miniaturized U-slot patch antenna with enhanced bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 47-62, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112201
8. Congiu, S. and G. Mazzarella, "A tri-band printed antenna based on a Sierpinski gasket," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2187-2200, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134416
9. Ataeiseresht, R., Ch. Ghobadi, and Nournia, "A novel analysis of Minikowski fractal microstrip patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 20, No. 8, 1115-1127, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930268
10. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Comparison of several novel annular-ring microstrip patch antennas for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 20, No. 11, 1427-1438, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274336
11. Jolani, F. and A. M. Dadgarpur, "Compact M-slot folded patch antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 35-42, 2006.
13. Costantine, J., K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, and M. Rammal, "New multi-band microstrip antenna design for wireless communications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 48, No. 6, 181-186, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.4455895
14. Ray, K. P. and D. D. Krishna, "Compact dual band suspended semi-circular microstrip antenna with half U-slot," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 10, 2021-2024, October 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.21844
16. Fiaz, M. M. and P. F. Wahid, "A high efficiency L-band microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Symposium, 272-275, 1999.
17. Row, J.-S., "Experimental study of circularly polarised microstrip antennas loaded with superstrate," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 21, 1155-1157, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20052065
18. Bilotti, F., M. Manzini, A. Alu, and L. Vegni, "Polygonal patch antennas with reactive impedance surfaces," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 20, No. 2, 169-182, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777260
19. Nie, X.-C., Y.-B. Gan, N. Yuan, and C.-F. Wang, "An efficient hybrid method for analysis of slot arrays enclosed by a large radome," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications , Vol. 20, No. 2, 249-264, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777215
20. Ansari, J. A., R. B. Ram, and P. Singh, "Analysis of a gap-coupled stacked annular ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 147-158, 2008.
21. IE3D 7.15, Zeland Software Inc., CA, USA, 2000.
22. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 1995.