In this paper, a novel stochastic approach, i.e., the electromagnetism-like (EM-like) algorithm, is applied to phase-only syntheses of antenna arrays. The goal is to minimize the pattern sidelobe under null-steering constraints by phase-only adjusting. The mechanism of EM-like algorithm results from the Coulomb's Law of Electromagnetics. It does not require gradient calculations, and can automatically converge at a good solution through the virtual charge of each particle. Simulation results show that the EM-like algorithm can well treat the phase-only optimization of antenna arrays. Although the null-steering constraints will affect the optimization in sidelobe reduction, it can be easily included in the EM-like based optimization scheme. The EM-like algorithm can be applied not only to problems of antenna arrays, but also to many other nonlinear optimization problems in electromagnetic waves.
"Application of Electromagnetism-Like Algorithm to Phase-Only Syntheses of Antenna Arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 83, 279-291, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08060402
1. Bucci, O. M., et al., "Antenna pattern synthesis: A new general approach," Proc. of IEEE, Vol. 82, No. 3, 358-371, 1994. doi:10.1109/5.272140
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.
3. Haupt, R. L. and D. H. Werner, Genetic Algorithms in Electromagnetics, Wiley, New York, 2007.
4. Bevelacqua, P. J. and C. A. Balanis, "Optimizing antenna array geometry for interference suppression," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 637-641, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891509
5. Bevelacqua, P. J. and C. A. Balanis, "Minimum sidelobe levels for linear arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3442-3449, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.910490
6. Rajo-lglesias, E. and O. Quevedo-Teruel, "Linear array synthesis using an ant-colony-optimization-based algorithm," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 49, No. 4, 70-79, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAP.2007.376644
7. Birbil, S. I. and S. C. Fang, "An electromagnetism-like mechanism for global optimization," J. Global Optimization, Vol. 25, No. 3, 263-282, 2003. doi:10.1023/A:1022452626305
8. Birbil, S. I., S. C. Fang, and R. L. Sheu, "On the convergence of a population-based global optimization algorithm," J. Global Optimization, Vol. 30, No. 2, 301-318, 2004. doi:10.1007/s10898-004-8270-3
9. Deford, J. F. and O. P. Gandhi, "Phase-only synthesis of minimum peak sidelobe patterns for linear and planar arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 36, No. 2, 191-201, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.1096
10. Guo, Y., Y. Xu, L. Xia, and R. Xu, "Efficient optimization of a ka-band branch waveguide power divider," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 17-26, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308783122698
11. Liu, X. F., Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Conformal array antenna design using modified particle swarm optimization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2/3, 207-218, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160820
12. Rattan, M., M. S. Patterh, and B. S. Sohi, "Optimization of Yagi-Uda antenna using simulated annealing," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2/3, 291-299, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160749
13. Mahmoud, K. R., et al., "Performance of circular Yagi-Uda arrays for beamforming applications using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2/3, 353-364, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160866
14. Kouveliotis, N. K., et al., "Optimizing a PIFA using a genetic algorithms approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2/3, 453-461, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160613
15. Zhou, S. G., "A new fitness function for optimizing the matching network of broadband antennas by genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 5/6, 759-765, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784159453
16. Zainud-Deen, S. H., W. M. Hassen, E. M. Ali, and K. H. Awadalla, "Breast cancer detection using a hybrid finite difference frequency domain and particle swarm optimization techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 35-46, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112703
17. Lim, T. S., V. C. Koo, H. T. Ewe, and H. T. Chuah, "A SAR autofocus algorithm based on particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 159-176, 2008.
18. Ngo Nyobe, E. and E. Pemha, "Shape optimization using genetic algorithms and laser beam propagation for the determination of the diffusion coefficient in a hot turbulent jet of air," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 211-221, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121005
19. Mangaraj, B. B., I. S. Misra, and A. K. Barisal, "Optimizing included angle of symmetrical V-dipoles for higher directivity using bacteria foraging optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 295-314, 2008.
20. Rocca, P., L. Manica, and A. Massa, "Directivity optimization in planar sub-arrayed monopulse antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 1-7, 2008.