The full MIMO radar and the partial MIMO one are introduced. The performance analysis of beamforming for MIMO (Multiple-input Multiple-output) radar and comparisons with the phased-array radar are given. The expressions of beamwidth, gain loss and detection range for MIMO radar are derived. Theoretical analysis and simulations show that the beam of the full MIMO utilizing all virtual array elements is identical to the two-way beam of the phasedarray radar, and that the beam of the partial MIMO selecting elements with different phase centers (phase shifts) is narrower, but has a gain loss. Additionally, the partial MIMO can avoid aliasing in space when the transmitting antennas are spaced at greater than half-wavelength spacing. As scanning radar, the partial MIMO radar has smaller detection range than the phased-array radar, and the full MIMO radar has the same range as the phased-array radar.
"Performance Analysis of Beamforming for MIMO Radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 84, 123-134, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08062306
1. Rocca, P., L. Manica, and A. Massa, "An effective excitation matching method for the synthesis of optimal compromises between sum and difference patterns in planar arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 115-130, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07120403
2. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude-only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of Bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07011204
3. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. Das, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable array antennas with fixed dynamic range ratio," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 97-106, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391768
4. Mohamed, M. A., E. A. Soliman, and M. A. El-Gamal, "Optimization and characterization of electromagnetically coupled patch antennas using RFB neural networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1101-1114, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930240
5. Babayigit, B., K. Guney, and A. Akdagli, "A clonal selection algorithm for array pattern nulling by controlling the positions of selected elements," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 6, 257-266, 2008.
6. Mouhamadou, M., P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05112801
7. Chen, T. B., et al., "Synthesis of circular antenna array using crossed particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1785-1795, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292273
8. Zhai, Y. W., X. W. Shi, and Y. J. Zhao, "Optimized design of ideal and actual transformer based on improved micro-genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1761-1771, 2007.
9. Fishler, E., et al., "Performance of MIMO radar systems: Advantages of angular diversity," Proc. 38th IEEE Asilomar Conf. on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Vol. 1, 305-309, 2004.
10. Fishler, E., et al., "Spatial diversity in radars-models and detection performance," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 3, 823-837, 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2005.862813
11. Rabideau, D. J. and P. Parker, "Ubiquitous MIMO multifunction digital array radar," Proc. 37th IEEE Asilomar Conf. on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Vol. 1, 1057-1064, 2003.
12. Bliss, D. W. and K. W. Forsythe, "Multiple-input multipleoutput (MIMO) radar and imaging: Degrees of freedom and resolution," Proc. 37th IEEE Asilomar Conf. on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Vol. 1, 54-59, 2003.
13. Li, J., et al., "On parameter identifiability of MIMO radar," IEEE Signal Processing Papers, Vol. 14, No. 12, 968-971, 2007. doi:10.1109/LSP.2007.905051
14. Forsythe, K., D. Bliss, and G. Fawcett, "Multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) radar: Performance issues," 38th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, Vol. 1, 310-315, Pacific Grove, CA, November 2004.
15. Forsythe, K. W. and D. W. Bliss, "Waveform correlation and optimization issues for MIMO radar," Proceedings of the 39th Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 1306-1310, November 2005.
16. Bekkerman, I. and J. Tabrikian, "Target detection and localization using MIMO radars and sonars," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 5, No. 10, 3873-3883, 2006. doi:10.1109/TSP.2006.879267
17. Robey, F. C., S. Coutts, and D. Weikle, "MIMO radar theory and experimental results," Conference Record of the Thirty-Eighth Asilomar Conference on Signals, System and Computers, Vol. 1, 300-304, 2004. doi:10.1109/ACSSC.2004.1399141
18. Manolakis, D. G., V. K. Ingle, and S. M. Kogon, Statistical and Adaptive Signal Processing, McGraw-Hill Companies, 2000.
19. David, K. B., Radar System Analysis and Modeling, Artech House Inc., 2005.