A novel technique to increase the bandwidth of the conventional planar triangular monopole antenna (PTMA) is presented. With two symmetrical corrugations extended from the flat ground plane, a significant improvement on the impedance bandwidth up to about 4:1 can be achieved. The proposed antenna design is a modification from the conventional volcano smoke antenna (VSA) and can be more compact and easily fabricated. The HFSS 3-D EM solver is employed for design simulation. The effects of the ridged ground plane on the impedance bandwidth are studied. A printed PTMA is fabricated on the FR-4 PCB substrate. Measured VSWR of the printed PTMA with the ridged ground plane is less than 2 from 3 to 12 GHz which covers the UWB frequency band. The measured antenna patterns also show the monopole-type omni-directional radiation patterns from 3 to about 10 GHz.
"A 3-12 GHz
UWB Planar Triangular Monopole Antenna with Ridged Ground-Plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08070502
1. Ammann, M. J., "Square planar monopole antenna," Inst. Elect. Eng. NCAP, No. 461, 37-40, IEE Publication, York, U.K., 1999.
2. Ammann, M. J., "Control of the impedance bandwidth of wideband planar monopole antennas using a beveling technique," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 4, 229-232, August 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1273
3. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband monopole antennas for multi-band wireless systems," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 2, 146-150, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1203133
4. Wu, X. H. and Z. N. Chen, "Comparison of planar dipoles in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 1973-1983, June 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848471
5. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, 294-295, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.660976
6. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
7. Eldek, A. A., "Numerical analysis of a small ultra-wideband microstrip-fed tap monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 199-212, 2006.
8. Liu, W. C. and C. F. Hsu, "CPW-fed notched monopole antenna for umts/imt-2000/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 841-851, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780749138
9. Gao, S. and A. Sambell, "A simple broadband printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 119-130, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05092603
10. Chen, X. and K. Huang, "Wideband properties of fractal bowtie dipoles," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1511-1518, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274345
11. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, J. F. Li, and J. L. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
12. Brown, G. H. and O. M. Woodward Jr., "Experimentally determined radiation characteristics of conical and triangular antennas," RCA Rev., Vol. 13, No. 4, 425-452, Dec. 1952.
13. Wong, K.-L. and Y.-F. Lin, "Stripline-fed printed triangular monopole," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 1428-1429, August 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970960
14. Lee, J.-P., S.-O. Park, and S.-K. Lee, "Bow-tie wideband monopole antenna with the novel impedance-bandwidth technique," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, 448-452, June 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10347
15. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "The tab monopole," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 187-188, Jan. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.554262
16. Verbiest, J. R. and G. A. Vandenbosch, "Small-size planar triangular monopole antenna for UWB WBAN applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 10, 566-567, May 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20060377
17. Evans, J. A. and M. J. Ammann, "Planar trapezoidal and pentagonal monopoles with impedance bandwidths in excess of 10:1," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 1558-1561, July 1999.
19. Ali, M., M. Okoniewski, M. A. Stuckly, and S. S. Stuchly, "Dual-frequency strip-sleeve monopole for laptop computers," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, 317-323, Feb. 1999. doi:10.1109/8.761072
23. Wu, J.-W., H.-M. Hsiao, J.-H. Lu, and Y.-D. Wang, "Dual-broadband T-shaped monopole antenna for wireless communication," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 470-473, July 2005.
24. Kraus, J. D., Antennas, 2nd Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 1988.
25. Taniguchi, T. and T. Kobayashi, "An omnidirectional and low-VSWR antenna for ultra-wideband systems," Proceedings of IEEE RAWCON 2002, 145-148, 2002. doi:10.1109/RAWCON.2002.1030138
26. Paulsen, L., J. B. West, W. F. Perger, and J. Kraus, "Recent investigations on the volcano smoke antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 845-848, June 2003.
27. Huang, C.-Y. and W.-C. Hsia, "Planar elliptical antenna for ultra-wideband communications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, 296-297, March 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057244
28. Eldek, A. A., "A small ultra-wideband planar tap monopole antenna with slit, tapered transition, and notched ground plane," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 8, 1650-1654, August 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21693
29. Kim, K.-H. and S.-O. Park, "Analysis of the small band-rejected antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, 1688-1692, June 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.875911
30. Liang, X.-L., S.-S. Zhong, W. Wang, and F.-W. Yao, "Printed annular monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, 71-72, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20063850
31. Kim, Y. and D.-H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch function," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 403-405, Apr. 2004. (D.-H. Kwon and Y. Kim, "CPW-fed planar ultra-wideband antenna with hexagonal radiating elements," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 2947-2950, June 2004). doi:10.1049/el:20040302
32. Chang, D.-C., M.-Y. Liu, and C.-H. Lin, "A CPW-fed U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 512-515, July 2005.
33. Choi, J.-H., K.-G. Chung, and Y.-W. Roh, "Parametric analysis of a band-rejection antenna for UWB application," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 3, 287-290, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21148
34. Gupta, S., M. Ramesh, and A. K. Kalghatgi, "Design of optimized CPW fed monopole antenna for UWB applications," Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf., Vol. 4, 1-4, Dec. 2005.
37. Simons, R. N., R. Q. Lee, and T. D. Perl, "Non-planar linearly tapered slot antenna with balanced microstrip feed," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 4, 2109-2112, July 1992.
38. Kuo, L.-C., M.-C. Tsai, and H.-R. Chuang, "3-D FDTD design simulation and experimental measurement of a Ka-band planar antipodal linearly-tapered slot antenna (ALTSA)," IEEE Guidedwave & Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 11, No. 9, 382-384, Sep. 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.950768