The measurement of inhomogeneity and irregularity of dielectric plate requires metering equipments with high spatial resolution power and contactless method. As we know, a measurement system with thin beam has high spatial resolution power. In this paper, a beam compressed system (BCS) is proposed to improve the spatial resolution power for measuring inhomogeneity and irregularity of dielectric plate at millimeter wave band. The beam shape of the BCS has to be carefully designed to achieve a very thin shape which has to be constant over a long range. The BCS can be applied to detect inhomogeneity and irregularity of a dielectric plate from cell to cell with its thin beam. Simulations with FDTD and FEM and experiments are carried out to confirm the performance of the designed BCS, both simulation and experimental results have good agreement. And the images of the permittivity or thickness variance of dielectric plate are given to demonstrate the advantages of the BCS over traditional Gaussian beam measuring method.
"Beam Compressed System for Measuring Inhomogeneity and Irregularity of Dielectric Plate with Higher Spatial Resolution Power," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 84, 105-122, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08070503
1. Afsar, M. N. and H. Ding, "A novel open-resonator system for precise measurement of permittivity and loss-tangent," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 50, 402-405, 2001. doi:10.1109/19.918152
2. Shimabukuro, F. I., S. Lazar, M. R. Chernick, and H. B. Dyson, "A quasi-optical method for measuring the complex permittivity of materials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 32, 659-665, 1984. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1984.1132750
3. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "A freespace method for measurement of dielectric constants and loss tangents at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 37, 789-793, 1989. doi:10.1109/19.32194
4. Gagnon, N., et al., "Low-cost free-space measurement of dielectric constant at Ka band," IEE Proc.-Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 151, 271-276, 2004.
7. Qian, C. and W. B. Dou, "A new approach for measuring permittivity of dielctric material," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 19, No. 6, 795-810, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393054069055
8. Dou, W. B., Millimeter Wave Quasi-Optical Theory and Technology, Publishing House of Electronics Industry, 2000.
9. Kume, E. and S. Sakai, "Properties of a dielectric probe for scanning near-field millimeter-wave microscopy," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 99, 056105, 2006. doi:10.1063/1.2174110
10. Rosner, B. T. and D. W. van der Weide, "High-frequency nearfield microscopy," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 73, No. 7, 2505-2525, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1482150
11. Kharkovsky, S. and R. Zoughi, "Microwave and millimeter wave nondestructive testing and evaluation: Overview and recent advances," IEEE Instrumentation & Measurement Magazine, Vol. 10, 26-38, 2007. doi:10.1109/MIM.2007.364985
12. Anlage, S. M., V. V. Talanov, and A. R. Schwartz, Scanning Probe Microscopy: Electrical and Electromechanical Phenomena at the Nanoscale, 215-253, 215-253, Springer, New York, 2007.
13. Chala, R. K., et al., "Permittivity measurement with a non-standard waveguide by using TRL calibration and fractional linear data filtering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 1-13, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102001
14. An, G. and W. B. Dou, "Analysis of sphere lens quasi-optical monopulse-antenna/feed structure," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 19, No. 1, 83-93, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393052955044
15. Wang, Z. X. and W. B. Dou, "Design and analysis of several kinds of dielectric lens antennas," J. of Electromang. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 12, 1643-1653, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292327
16. Tuz, V., "Three-dimensional scattering of Gaussian beam from a periodic sequence of bi-isotropic and material layers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 53-73, 2008.
17. Wang, M.-J., Z.-S. Wu, and Y.-L. Li, "Investigation of scattering characteristics of Gaussian beam from two dimensional dielectric rough surfaces based on the Kirchhoff approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 223-235, 2008.
18. Huang, C.-H., Y.-F. Chen, and C. C. Chiu, "Permittivity distribution reconstruction of dielectric object by a cascaded method," J. of Electromang. Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 2, 145-159, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378790
19. Liao, S.-L. and R. J. Vernon, "Sub-THz beam-beam-shaping mirror system designs for quasi-optical mode converters in highpower gyrotrons," J. of Electromagnetic Waves and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 4, 425-439, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367332
20. Yin, H. P. and W. B. Dou, "Analysis of an extended hemi-spherical lens antenna at millimeter wavelengths," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 16, No. 9, 1209-1222, 2002. doi:10.1163/156939302X00723
21. Mei, Z. L. and W. B. Dou, "Performances of hyperbolical and spherical lens imaging systems at millimeter wavelengths," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 16, No. 8, 1077-1093, 2002. doi:10.1163/156939302X00606
22. Rutledge, D. B. and M. S. Muha, "Imaging antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. AP, Vol. 30, 535-540, 1982.
23. Dou, W. B., X. D. Deng, and J. H. Pan, "Analysis of extending the field-of-view of reverse-microscope imaging system at millimeter-wavelengths," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, 469-479, 2004. doi:10.1163/156939304774113070
25. Jin, J.-M., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley, 2002.
26. Nicolson, A. M. and G. Ross, "Measurement of intrinsic properties of materials by time domain techniques," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 19, 377-382, 1970. doi:10.1109/TIM.1970.4313932
27. Weir, W. B., "Automatic measurement of complex dielectric constant and permeability at microwave frequencies," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, 33-36, 1974.
28. Boughriet, A. H., C. Legrand, and A. Chapoton, "Noniterative stable transmission/reflection method for low-loss material complex permittivity determination," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 245, 52-57, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.552032
29. Baker-Jarvis, J., E. J. Vanzura, and W. A. Kissick, "Improved technique for determining complex permittivity with the transmission/ reflection method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 38, 1096-1103, 1990. doi:10.1109/22.57336