The sensitivity of cylindrical and spherical transformation cloak to several factors has been carefully studied in this paper. We find that the performance of the transformation cloak is quite sensitive to the crevice in the shell. When an obstacle is not completely wrapped inside the cloaking shell,noticeable scattering will be induced outside. It is also shown that if the shape of the cloak is changed in certain ways while the material parameters remain the same,the backward scattering is still zero. In addition,the combination of parts of cylindrical cloak can only achieve perfect invisibility in one direction,while combining the cylindrical cloak with two halves of spherical cloak can still make a perfect 3-dimensional (3D) invisible cloak. The findings are verified with finite element based simulations as well as theoretical calculations. Our discussion results are valuable to the implementation of cloak in engineering.
Jing Jing Zhang,
"Sensitivity of Transformation Cloak in Engineering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 84, 93-104, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08071301
1. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 1780, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
2. Schurig, D., J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, "Calculation of material properties and ray tracing in transformation media," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, 9794, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.009794
3. Cummer, S. A., B.-I. Popa, D. Schurig, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Full-wave simulations of electromagnetic cloaking structures," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.74.036621
4. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1133628
5. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Optical cloaking with metamaterials," Nature Photon., Vol. 1, 2007. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2007.28
6. Zhang, J., J. Huangfu, Y. Luo, H. Chen, J. A. Kong, and B.- I. Wu, "Cloak for multilayered and gradually changing media," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, 035116, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.77.035116
7. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, B. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic wave interactions with a metamaterial cloak," Phys. Rev. Letts., Vol. 99, 063903, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.99.063903
8. Zolla, F., S. Guenneau, A. Nicolet, and J. B. Pendry, "Electromagnetic analysis of cylindrical invisibility cloaks and the mirage effect," Opt. Lett., Vol. 32, 1069, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.001069
9. Luo, Y., J. Zhang, L. Ran, H. Chen, and J. A. Kong, "Design and analytical full-wave validation of the invisibility cloaks, concentrators,and field rotators created with a general class of transformations," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, 125127, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.77.125127
10. Weder, R., "A rigorous analysis of high-order electromagnetic invisibility cloaks," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor., Vol. 41, 065207, 2008. doi:10.1088/1751-8113/41/6/065207
11. Xi, S., H. Chen, B.-I. Wu, B. Zhang, J. Huangfu, D. Wang, and J. A. Kong, "Effects of different transformations on the performance ofcylindrical cloaks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 1489, 2008.
12. Rahm, M., D. Schurig, D. A. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwell's equations," Photonics Nanostruct. Fundam. Appl., Vol. 6, 87, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.photonics.2007.07.013
13. Ma, H., S. Qu, Z. Xu, J. Zhang, B. Chen, and J. Wang, "Material parameter equation for elliptical cylindrical cloaks," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 77, 013825, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevA.77.013825
14. Kwon, D.-H. and D. H. Werner, "Two-dimensional electromagnetic cloak having a uniform thickness for elliptic cylindrical regions," Appl. Phys. Letts., Vol. 92, 113502, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2898205
15. Kwon, D.-H. and D. H. Werner, "Two-dimensional eccentric elliptic electromagnetic cloaks," Appl. Phys. Letts., Vol. 92, 013505, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2830698
16. Zhang, J., Y. Luo, S. Xi, H. S. Chen, L. Ran, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Directive emission obtained by coordinate transformation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 437, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011002
17. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Nonmagnetic cloak with minimized scattering," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, 111105, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2783266
18. Du, P ., B. Wang, H. Li, and G. Zheng, "Scattering analysis of large-scale periodic structures using the sub-entire domain basis function method and characteristic function method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 2085, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152957
19. Abd-El-Raouf, H. and R. Mittra, "Scattering analysis of dielectric coated cones," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1857, 2007.
20. Hady, L. K. and A. A. Kishk, "Electromagnetic scattering from conducting circular cylinder coated by meta-materials and loaded with helical strips under oblique incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 189, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121107
21. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic scattering from two eccentric metamaterial cylinders with frequency-dependent permittivities differing slightly each other," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 23, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112906
22. Li, X.-F., Y.-J. Xie, and R. Yang, "High-frequency method analysis on scattering from homogenous dielectric objects with electrically large size in half space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 177, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07103001
23. Illahi, A., M. Afzaal, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Scattering of dipole field by a perfect electromagnetic conductor cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 43, 2008.
24. Sun, X. and H. Ha, "Light scattering by large hexagonal column with multiple densely packed inclusions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 105, 2008.
25. Kokkorakis, G. C., "Scalar equations for scattering by rotationally symmetric radially inhomogeneous anisotropic sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 179, 2008.
26. Li, Y.-L., J.-Y. Huang, M.-J. Wang, and J. Zhang, "Scattering field for the ellipsoidal targets irradiated by an electromagnetic wave with arbitrary polarizing and propagating direction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 221, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07120610
27. Li, Y., J. Huang, and M. Wang, "Scattering cross section for airborne and its application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 2341, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134254
28. Choi, S., D. Seo, and N. Myung, "Scattering analysis of openended cavity with inner object," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1689, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307781870817