In this paper a novel ultra-thin radar absorbent material (RAM) using HIGP is presented and investigated. Owing to the high impedance property of the HIGP, the thickness of the RAM is about several tenths of the centre wavelengthof the absorption band, considerably thinner than conventional absorbers. The absorption band of the RAM is about several hundred megahertz. In the new RAM, lumped resistances are soldered between the patches of mushroom-like high-impedance surface (HIGP). And the metal ground plane of waveguide slot antenna is covered by this new type of RAM. As compared to the slot antenna with a metal ground plane, the measured results show that the radar cross section (RCS) of waveguide slot antenna reduces significantly. This proves that the new HIGP RAM has a good radar absorbing characteristics. The simulations and experiment results have shown that the RCS of antenna is reduced by 7.9 dB and gain is only reduced by 0.9 dB.
"High Impedance Ground Plane (Higp) Incorporated with Resistance for Radar Cross Section (RCS) Reduction of Antenna," ,
Vol. 84, 307-319, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08072003
1. Zharov, A. A., I. V. Shadrivov, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Nonlinear properties of left-handed metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 91, 037401, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.91.037401
2. Yang, R., Y.-J. Xie, P. Wang, and L. Li, "Microstrip antennas withleft-h anded materials substrates," J. of Eletromagn. Wave and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 9, 1235-1248, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306777442953
3. Li, Z. and T. Cui, "Novel waveguide directional couplers using lefthanded materials," J. of Eletromagn. Wave and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 8, 1053-1062, 2006.
4. Srivastava, R., S. Srivastava, and S. P. Ojha, "Negative refraction by photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-26, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08042302
5. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "On the study of left-handed coplanar waveguide coupler on FerriteRNsubstrare," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 69-75, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07111808
6. Sievenpiper, D., et al., "High-impedance electromagnetic surface witha forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
7. Zheng, Q.-R., Y.-Q. Fu, and N.-C. Yuan, "Characteristics of plannar PBG structures Witha cover layer," J. of Eletromagn. Wave and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 11, 1439-11453, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274264
8. Li, L., C.-H. Liang, and C. H. Chan, "Waveguide end-slot phased array antenna integrated with electromagnetic bandgap structure," J. of Eletromagn. Wave and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 2, 161-174, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378826
9. Zheng, Q.-R., B.-Q. Lin, and N.-C. Yuan, "Characteristics and applications of a novel compact spiral electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure," J. of Eletromagn. Wave and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 2, 199-213, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378844
10. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the HIGP ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 2691-2703, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817559
11. Sievenpiper, D., "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces," Ph.D. Thesis, 1999.
12. Zhang, G.-H. and N.-C. Yuan, "Radiation characteristics improvement in waveguide-fed slot antenna with a high-impedance ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 2, 176-179, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20762
13. Engheta, N., "Thin absorbing screens using metamaterial surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society (AP-S), 16-21, 2002.
14. Alu and Engheta, ``Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings, "Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, 016623, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.72.016623
15. Kern, D. J. and D. H. Werner, "A genetic algorithm approach to the design of ultra-thin electromagnetic bandgap absorbers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 1, 61-64, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10971
16. Valagiannnopoulos, ``Arbitrary currents on circular cylinder withinh omogeneous cladding, "Arbitrary currents on circular cylinder withinh omogeneous cladding and RCS optimization," J. of Eletromagn. Wave and Appl., Vol. 21, No. 5, 665-680, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780667337
17. Fante, R. L. and M. T. McCormack, "Reflection properties of the Salisbury screen," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, 1443-1454, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.8632
18. Vinoy, K. J. and R. M. Jha, "Radar absorbing materials: From theory to design and characterization," Kluwer Academic, 1996.
19. Salisbury, W. W., "Absorbent body for electromagnetic waves," US Patent, 1952.
20. Zheng, Q.-R., G.-H. Zhang, and N.-C. Yuan, "Single ridged waveguide slot phased antenna array integrated with high impedance ground plane," APMC2005 Proceedings, 2005.
21. Li, L., X.-J. Dang, B. Li, and C.-H. Liang, "Analysis and design of waveguide slot antenna array integrated withelectromagnetic band-gap structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 12, 111-115, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.872438
22. Li, B., B. Wu, and C.-H. Liang, "Highgain circular waveguide array antenna using electromagnetic bandgap structure," J. of Eletromagn. Wave and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 7, 955-966, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776149860