This paper presents a circularly polarized (CP) GPS/DCS loop-like antenna with a microstrip feed. The proposed antenna comprised of a quasi-C antenna, an inverted-L sleeve strip connected with the ground plane and an L-shaped slit embedded in the ground plane. The C-like antenna generates a resonant mode with a poor impedance matching condition. The inverted-L grounded strip and the embedded L-slit are not only capable of modifying two orthogonal electric fields with equal amplitude and phase difference of 90 degree for radiating circular polarization at 1.575 GHz, but the impedance characteristics is also improved and the operating frequency is reduced. Both simulated and measured results are provided to validate the impedance and CP performance of the proposed antenna. For the optimized antenna case, the measured bandwidth with an axial ratio (AR) of less than 3 dB is larger than 19% and the measured impedance bandwidth of reflection coefficient S11 < −10 dB is about 30.1%.
"A Circularly Polarized Quasi-Loop Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 84, 333-348, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081002
1. Koo, J. C., J. Shim, T. I. Suh, J. K. Bang, and H. T. Kim, "Size optimization of a microstrip GPS antenna for automobile glass with a genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, 1459-1470, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042954884
2. Chou, H. T., L. R. Kuo, and W. J. Liao, "Characteristic evaluation of an active patch antenna structure with an embedded LNA module for GPS reception," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 599-614, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780667283
3. Johnson, R. C. and H. Jasik, Antenna Engineering Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1984.
4. Chen, Z. N., M. J. Ammann, M. Y. W. Chia, and T. S. P. See, "Annular planar monopole antennas," IEE Proc. — Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 149, No. 4, 200-203, 2002.
5. Liu, W. C., W. R. Chen, and C. M. Wu, "Printed double Sshaped monopole antenna for wideband and multiband operation of wireless communications," IETMicr owave, Vol. 151, No. 6, 473-476, 2004.
6. Lin, C. C., Y. C. Kan, L. C. Kuo, and H. R. Chuang, "A planar triangular monopole antenna for UWB communication," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 10, 624-626, 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.856694
7. Ray, K. P. and Y. Ranga, "Ultra-wideband printed modified triangular monopole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 19, 1081-1082, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20061913
8. Liu, W. C. and C. F. Hsu, "CPW-FED notched monopole antenna for UMTS/IMT-2000/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 841-851, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780749138
9. Ren, W., J. Y. Deng, and K. S. Chen, "Compact PCB monopole antenna for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1411-1420, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239401
10. Gopikrishna, M., D. D. Krishna, A. R. Chandran, and C. K. Aanandan, "Square monopole antenna for ultra wide band communication applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1525-1537, 2007.
11. Zhang, H. T., Y. Z. Yin, and X. Yang, "A wideband monopole with G type structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 229-236, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07071004
12. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Modified microstripfed two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080701
13. Sim, C. Y. D., W. T. Chung, and C. H. Lee, "Novel bandnotch UWB antenna design with slit ground plane," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 8, 2229-2233, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23621
14. Wang, C. J. and Y. C. Lin, "A New CPW-fed monopole antenna with both linear and circular polarizations," IETMicr owaves, Vol. 2, No. 5, 466-472, 2008.
15. Jan, J. Y. and L. C. Tseng, "Small planar monopole antenna with a shorted parasitic inverted-L wire for wireless communications in the 2.4-, 5.2-, and 5.8-GHz bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1903-1905, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.831370
16. Morishita, H. and K. Hirasawa, "Wideband circularly-polarized loop antenna," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Antennas Propag. Symp., 1286-1289, 1994.