This paper presents a comprehensive Non Line of Sight (NLOS) localization scheme in a multipath environment where the scatterers with smooth surfaces are aligned parallel or perpendicular to each other. It leverages on the estimation of Angle of Arrival (AOA) and Time of Arrival (TOA) of the omni-directional mobile device's signal received at the reference devices. Unlike the conventional Line of Sight (LOS) localization schemes that rely on the various mitigation techniques to mitigate the multipaths that are mistaken as the LOS signal, our proposed two step localization scheme not only utilizes the LOS path but also any one bound scattering NLOS multipath arriving at the reference devices for localization. Channel experiment coupled with simulation results in a typical multipath environment has demonstrated that our proposed localization scheme outperforms the conventional localization schemes that are coupled with their own mitigation techniques. Robustness in performance of our proposed localization scheme towards different scatterers' orientation where they are not aligned parallel or perpendicular to each other are also investigated.
1. Patwari, N., J. N. Ash, S. Kyperountas, A. O. Hero III, R. L. Moses, and N. S. Correal, "Locating the nodes: Cooperative localization in wireless networks," IEEE Signal Processing Mag., Vol. 22, 54-69, 2005. doi:10.1109/MSP.2005.1458287
2. Sayed, A. H., A. Tarighat, and N. Khajehnouri, "Network-based wireless location: Challenges faced in developing techniques for accurate wireless location information," IEEE Signal Processing Mag., Vol. 22, 24-40, 2005. doi:10.1109/MSP.2005.1458275
3. Reed, J. H., K. J. Krizman, B. D. Woerner, and T. S. Rappaport, "An overview of the challenges and progress in meeting the E-911 requirement for location services," IEEE Commun. Mag., 30-37, 1998. doi:10.1109/35.667410
4. Yu, J. Y. and P. H. J. Chong, "An efficient clustering scheme for large and dense mobile ad hoc networks (MANETS)," Computer Communications, Vol. 30, 5-16, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.comcom.2006.07.014
5. Deasy, T. P. and W. G. Scanlon, "Stepwise algorithms for improving the accuracy of both deterministic and probabilistic methods in WLAN-based indoor user localization," Int. J. Wireless Information Networks, Vol. 11, 2004.
6. Jeong, Y.-S. and J.-H. Lee, "Estimation of time delay using conventional beamforming-based algorithm for UWB systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2413-2420, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134281
7. Soliman, M. S., T. Morimoto, and Z.-I. Kawasaki, "Three-dimensional localization system for impulsive noise sources using ultra-wideband digital interferometer technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 515-530, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776117027
8. Soliman, M. S., A. Hirita, T. Morimoto, and Z.-I. Kawasaki, "Numercial and experimental study on three dimensional localization for Ultra-wideband impulsive noise sources," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 2, 175-187, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393054497276
9. Lee, J. Y. and R. A. Scholtz, "Ranging in a dense multipath environment using an UWB radio link," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 20, 1677-1683, 2002.
10. Liew, S. C., K. G. Tan, and C. P. Tan, "Non-Taylor series based positioning method for hybrid GPS/Cellphone system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 717-729, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776143451
11. Chueng, K. W., H. C. So, W.-K. Ma, and Y. T. Chan, "Least square algorithms for time-of-arrival based mobile location," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 52, 1121-1128, 2004. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.823465
12. Wang, X., Z. X. Wang, and B. O. Dea, "A TOA-based location algorithm reducing the errors due to Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) propagation," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 52, 112-116, 2003. doi:10.1109/TVT.2002.807158
13. Liew, S. C., K. G. Tan, and T. S. Lim, "Investigation of direct A-GPS positioning for hybrid E-OTD/GNSS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 79-87, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777332
14. Chan, activate the application and K. C. Ho, "A simple and efficient estimator for hyperbolic location," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 42, 1905-1915, 1994. doi:10.1109/78.301830
15. Torrieri, D. J., "Statistical theory of passive location systems," IEEE Trans. on Aerosp. Electron. Syts., Vol. 20, 183-197, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAES.1984.310439
16. Alba, P. Z., V. Josep, and D. H. Brooks, "Closed form solution for positioning based on angle of arrival measurements," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Personal Indoor Mobile Radio Commun. Conf., Vol. 14, 1522-1526, 2002.
17. Patwari, N., A. O. Hero III, M. Perkins, N. S. Correal, and R J. O. Dea, "Relative location estimation in wireless sensor networks," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, 2137-2148, 2003. doi:10.1109/TSP.2003.814469
18. Cong, L. and W. H. Zhuang, "Hybrid TDOA/AOA mobile users location for wideband CDMA cellular system," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 1, 439-447, 2002. doi:10.1109/TWC.2002.800542
19. Cong, L. and W. H. Zhuang, "Nonline-of-sight error mitigation in mobile location," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 4, 560-572, 2005. doi:10.1109/TWC.2004.843040
20. Wang, X., P. R. P. Hoole, and E. Gunawan, "An electromagnetictime delay method for determining the positions and velocities of mobile stations in a GSM network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 23, 165-186, 1999. doi:10.2528/PIER98102603
21. Seow, C. K. and S. Y. Tan, "Non line of sight localization in multipath environment," IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing, Vol. 7, No. 5, 647-660, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMC.2007.70780
22. Seow, C. K. and S. Y. Tan, "Localisation of mobile device in multipath environment using bi-directional estimation," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 7, 485-486, 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20080196
23. Li, J., J. Connan, and S. Pierre, "Mobile terminal location for MIMO communication systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2417-2420, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901862
24. Miao, H. L., K. Yu, and M. J. Juntti, "Positioning for NLOS propagation: Algorithm derivations and Cramer-Rao bounds," Proc. ICASSP 2006, Vol. 4, 1045-1048, 2006.
25. Jiang, L., S. Y. Tan, and , "A simple analytical path loss model for urban cellular communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 8, 1017-1032, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042955405
26. Cramer, R. J.-M., R. A. Scholtz, and M. Z. Win, "Evaluation of an ultra-wideband propagation channel," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 561-570, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.1011221
27. Pahlavan, K., X. R. Li, and J. P. Makela, "Indoor geolocation science and technology," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 40, 112-118, 2002. doi:10.1109/35.983917
28. Spencer, Q. H., B. D. Jeffs, M. A. Jensen, and A. L. Swindlehurst, "Modeling the statistical time and angle of arrival characteristics of an indoor multipath channel," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 18, 347-360, 2000. doi:10.1109/49.840194
29. Khajehnouri, N. and A. H. Sayed, "A non-line-of-sight equalization scheme for wireless cellular location," Proc. ICASSP 2003, Vol. 6, 549-552, 2003.
30. Venkatraman, S., J. Caffery, Jr., and H. R. You, "Location using LOS range estimation in NLOS environments," Proc. IEEE Veh. Tech. Conf., Vol. 2, 856-860, 2002.
31. Chen, P. C., "A non-line-of-sight error mitigation algorithm in location estimation," Proc. IEEE Wireless Communications Networking Conf., Vol. 1, 316-320, 1999.
32. Chan, Y. T., W. Y. Tsui, H. C. So, and P. C. Ching, "Time-of-arrival based localization under NLOS conditions," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 55, 17-24, 2006. doi:10.1109/TVT.2005.861207
33. Borras, J., P. Hatrack, and N. B. Mandayam, "Decision theoretic framework for NLOS identification," Proc. IEEE Veh. Tech. Conf., Vol. 2, 1583-1587, 1998.
34. Xiong, L., "A selective model to suppress NLOS signals in angle of arrival (AOA) location estimation," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Commun.,, Vol. 1, 461-465, 1998.
35. Kaiser, T., A. Bourdoux, H. Boche, J. R. Fonollosa, J. B. Anderson, and W. Utschick, "Smart antennas state of the art," EURASIP Book Series on Signal Processing and Communications, Hindawi, 2005.
36. Gershman, A. B. and N. D. Sidiropoulous, Space Time Processing for MIMO Communications, John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
37. Alexiou, A. and M. Haardt, "Smart antenna technologies for future wireless systems: trends and challenges," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 42, 90-97, 2004. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2004.1336725
38. Guo, Y. C., X. W. Shi, and L. Chen, "Retrodirective array technology," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 5, 153-167, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021704
39. Hassani, H. R. and M. Jahanbakht, "Method of moment analysis of finite phase array of aperture coupled circular microstrip patch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 4, 197-210, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08010602
40. Zainud-Deen, S. H., H. A. Malhat, K. H. Awadalla, and E. S. El-Hadad, "Direction of arrival and state of polarization estimation using radial basis function neural network (RBFNN)," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 2, 137-150, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07111801
41. Kazemi, S., H. R. Hassani, G. R. Dadashzadeh, and F. Geran, "Performance improvement in amplitude synthesis of unequally spaced array using least mean square method," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 1, 135-145, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07103002
42. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Improving the performance of an antenna array by using radar absorbing cover," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters,, Vol. 1, 129-138, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07112503
43. Park, G.-M. and S.-Y. Hong, "Resolution enhancement of coherence sources impinge on uniform circular array with array expansion," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2205-2214, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134371
44. Landesa, L., I. T. Castro, J. M. Taboada, and F. Obelleiro, "Bias of the maximum likelihood DOA estimation from inaccurate knowledge of the antenna array response," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1205-1217, 2007.
45. Ayestaran, R. G., F. Las-Heras, and J. A. Martinez, "Non uniform-antenna array synthesis using neural networks," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 8, 1001-1011, 2007.
46. Huang, M. D. and S. Y. Tan, "Spheroidal phase mode processing for antenna arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 11, 1431-1442, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775701895
47. Sun, Q., S. Y. Tan, and K. C. Teh, "Analytical formulae for path loss prediction in urban street grid microcellular environments," IEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 54, 1251-1258, 2005. doi:10.1109/TVT.2005.851298
48. Tan, S. Y. and H. S. Tan, "A microcellular communications propagation model based on uniform theory of diffraction and multiple image theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 10, 1317-1326, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.537325
49. Tan, S. Y. and H. S. Tan, "Improved three-dimensional ray tracing techniques for microcellular propagation models," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, 1503-1505, 1995. doi:10.1049/el:19950991
50. Kay, S. M., Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing: Estimation Theory, Vol. 1, Prentice Hall, 1993.
51. Chandran, S., Advances in Direction of Arrival Estimation, Artech House Publishers, 2006.