A research of W band microstrip integrated high order frequency multiplier based on avalanche diode is presented. The associated nonlinear model of avalanche diode driven by external RF signals for high order frequency multiplication is presented and analyzed according to the physical property of avalanche diode. Subsequently the circuit of microstrip integrated high order multiplier is analyzed. In experiment, maximum output power of 6.5 mW with the efficiency of about 0.62% is obtained at output frequency of 94.5 GHz with 15th multiplication order. The phase noise of output 94.5 GHz signal is about −90.83 dBc/Hz and −95.67 dBc/Hz at 10 KHz and 100 KHz offset.
1. Vahdati, H. and A. Abdipour, "Nonlinear stability analysis of an oscillator with distributed element resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 241-252, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07111701
2. Vahdati, H. and A. Abdipour, "Nonlinear stability analysis of microwave oscillators using the periodic averaging method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 179-193, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100101
3. Shi, Z.-G., S. Qiao, and K. S. Chen, "Ambiguity functions of direct chaotic radar employing microwave chaotic colpitts oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 1-14, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072001
4. Mokari, H. and P. Derakhshan-Barjoei, "Numerical analysis of homojunction gallium arsenide avalanche," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 159-172, 2008.
5. Seyedi, M. H., "Numerical analysis of homojunction avalanche photodiodes (APDS)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 45-56, 2008.
6. Akbarzade, M., D. D. Ganji, and M. H. Pashaei, "Analysis of nonlinear oscillators with U force by He’s energy balance method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 57-66, 2008.
7. Zhang, H., J. Wang, and C. Tong, "Progress in theoretical design and numerical simulation of high power terahertz backward wave oscillator," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 3, 311-315, 2008. doi:10.2529/PIERS071001065701
8. Lin, M.-C. and P.-S. Lu, "An injection-locked millimeter wave oscillator based on field-emission cathodes," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 3, 371-375, 2008. doi:10.2529/PIERS070906183455
9. Peidaee, P. and A. Baghai-Wadji, "On the calculation of polynomially perturbed harmonic oscillators," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 4, 485-489, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061202155000
10. Lin, M.-C. and P. S. Lu, "Interaction mechanism of a field emission based THz oscillator," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 7, 1011-1015, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061007104929
11. Shi, Z. G. and L. X. Ran, "Microwave chaotic Colpitts activate the application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1335-1349, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779276802
12. Agarwal, P., M. J. Goossens, V. Zieren, and E. Aksen, "Impact ionization in thin silicon diodes," IEEE Electron. Device Letters, Vol. 25, No. 12, 807-809, 2004. doi:10.1109/LED.2004.838557
13. Schoellhorn, C. J. and M. Morschbach, "S-parameter measurements of the impedance of mm-wave IMPATT diodes in dependency on the current density," Journal of Microwaves and Optoelectronics, Vol. 3, No. 5, 81-96, 2004.
14. Rolland, P. A., J. L. Vaterkowski, E. Constant, and G. Salmer, "New modes of operation for avalanche diodes: Frequency multiplication and upconversion," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 24, 768-775, 1976. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1976.1128958
15. Constant, E., E. Allamando, and A. Semichon, "Transit-time operation of an avalanche diode driven by a subharmonic signal and its application to frequency multiplication," Proceeding of the IEEE, Vol. 58, 483-484, 1970. doi:10.1109/PROC.1970.7662
16. Ermak, G. P. and A. V. Varavin, "2-mm wave vector network analyzer upon high-order IMPATT multipliers," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 27, 681-686, 2006. doi:10.1007/s10762-006-9111-x
17. Ermak, G. P., A. V. Varavin, and E. A. Alekseev, "Phase locking of 2-mm wave sources upon high-order IMPATT multipliers," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 24, 1609-1615, 2003. doi:10.1023/A:1026079116516
18. Huang, J., T. Gan, and Y. Zou, "A novel W-band fully coherent solid-state radar transceiver," Proceedings of 2001 CIE International Conference on Radar, 907-911, 2001.
19. Rolland, P. A., G. Salmer, A. Derycke, and J. Michel, "Very-high-rank avalanche diode frequency multiplier," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 61, 1757-1758, 1973. doi:10.1109/PROC.1973.9365
20. Rolland, P. A., E. Constant, A. Derycke, and J. Michel, "Multiplication de frequence par diode a avalanche en ondes millimetriques," Acts Electronics, Vol. 17, 213-228, 1974.
21. Kramer, B. M., A. C. Derycke, A. Farrayre, and C. F. Masse, "High-efficiency frequency multiplication with GaAs avalanche diodes," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 24, 861-863, 1976. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1976.1128976
22. Venger, A. Z., A. N. Ermak, and A. M. Yakimenko, "Frequency multiplier based on an avalanche-and-transit diode," Instruments and Experimental Techniques, Vol. 23, 691-692, 1980.
23. Zhao, M., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "The W-band high order avalanche diode frequency multipliers," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 28, 663-669, 2007. doi:10.1007/s10762-007-9238-4
24. Haddad, G. I., P. T. Greiling, and W. E. Schroeder, "Basic principles and properties of avalanche transit-time devices," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 18, 752-772, 1970. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1970.1127352
25. Read, W. T., "A proposed high frequency negative resistance diode," Bell System Tech. Journal, Vol. 37, 400-446, 1958.
26. Gilden, M. and M. E. Hines, "Electronic tuning effects in the read microwave avalanche diode," IEEE Transactions on Electron. Devices, Vol. 13, 169-175, 1966. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1966.15652
27. Sze, S. M., Physics of Semiconductor Devices, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2006.
28. De La Cruz, R. and A. Zemliak, "Characteristics of the double avalanche region IMPATT diode in millimetric range," Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Electronics, Communications and Computers, 223-227, 2004.
29. Gannett, J. and L. Chua, "A nonlinear circuit model for IMPATT diodes," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 25, No. 5, 299-308, 1978. doi:10.1109/TCS.1978.1084476
30. Zhao, M., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "A nonlinear circuit model for avalanche diode in high order frequency multiplication mode," 5th International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 560-562, 2007.