In this paper, a high performance phased antenna array is designed. Compared with the traditional ones, this antenna array has a lower sidelobe characteristic of down to -16 dB. At different scanning angles, the comparison between calculated and measured results of S-parameters and E- and H-plane antenna patterns is made and a very good agreement is found. Moreover, the precorrected fast Fourier transform method is employed to accelerate the entire computational process to reduce significantly both the memory requirement and computational time, but to increase the design accuracy and optimization efficiency.
Joshua Le-Wei Li,
"Design and Analysis of Phased Antenna Array with Low Sidelobe by Fast Algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 87, 131-147, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08092401
1. Dolph, C. L., "A current distribution for broadside arrays which optimizes the relationship between beamwidth and side-lobe level," Proc. IRE, Vol. 34, 335-348, June 1946. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1946.225956
2. Riblet, H. J., "Discussion on `A current distribution for broadside arrays which optimizes the relationship between beamwidth and side-lobe level'," Proc. IRE, Vol. 35, 489-492, June 1947. doi:10.1109/JRPROC.1947.232940
3. Pritchard, R. L., "Optimum directivity patterns for linear point arrays," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 25, 879-891, Sept. 1953. doi:10.1121/1.1907212
4. Sainati, R. A., CAD of Microstrip Antennas for Wireless Applications, Artech House, Boston, London, 1996.
5. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley, New York, 1997.
6. Liu, Y.-X., L.-W. Li, T.-S. Yeo, and M.-S. Leong, "Automatic extraction of surface-wave poles and residuals of potential Green's functions for multilayered media," IEE Proceedings on Microwave, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 151, No. 2, 463-469, 2004.
7. Liu, Y.-X., L.-W. Li, T.-S. Yeo, and M.-S. Leong, "Application of DCIM to MPIE-MoM analysis of 3-D PEC objects in multilayered media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 2, 157-162, 2002. doi:10.1109/8.997985
8. Phillips, J. R. and J. K. White, "A precorrected-FFT method for capacitance extraction of complicated 3-D structures," Proc. Int. Conf. Computer-aided Design, Nov. 1994.
9. Yuan, N., T. S. Yeo, X. C. Nie, and L. W. Li, "Precorrected-FFT algorithm for solving combined field integral equations in electromagnetic scattering," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 8, 1171-1187, Aug. 2002. doi:10.1163/156939302X00697
10. Nie, X. C., L. W. Li, N. Yuan, and T. S. Yeo, "Fast analysis of scattering by arbitrarily shaped three-dimensional objects using the precorrected-FFT method," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 6, 438-442, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10488
11. Yuan, N., T. S. Yeo, X. C. Nie, and L. W. Li, "A fast analysis of scattering and radiation of large microstrip antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2218-2216, Sept. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811082
12. Nie, X. C., L. W. Li, N. Yuan, T. S. Yeo, and Y. B. Gan, "A fast analysis of electromagnetic scattering by arbitrarily shaped homogeneous dielectric objects," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 1, 30-34, July 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10962
13. Nie, X. C., N. Yuan, L.-W. Li, Y. B. Gan, and T. S. Yeo, "A fast combined field volume integral equation solution to EM scattering by 3D dielectric objects of arbitrary permittivity and permeability," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 961-969, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.869927
14. Yuan, N., T. S. Yeo, X. C. Nie, Y. B. Gan, and L.-W. Li, "Analysis of probe-fed conformal microstrip antennas on finite ground plane and substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 554-563, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863115
15. Nie, X. C., Y. B. Gan, N. Yuan, C.-F. Wang, and L.-W. Li, "An efficient hybrid method for analysis of slot array enclosed by a large radome," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 249-264, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777215
16. Fang, D. G., J. J. Yang, and G. Y. Delisle, "Discrete image theory for horizontal electric dipoles in a multilayered medium," Proc. IEEE, Pt. H, Vol. 135, No. 5, 297-303, Oct. 1988.
17. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surface of arbitrary shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 5, 409-418, May 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
18. Zhang, M., L. Bai, T. Yuan, L.-W. Li, and Z.-S. Wu, "Analysis of multilayered millimeter wave structure with via-holes connected," International Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 26, No. 2, 315-327, Feb. 2005. doi:10.1007/s10762-005-3009-x
19. Wang, C. F. and F. Ling, "A fast full-wave analysis of scattering and radiation from large finite arrays of microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 10, 1467-1474, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.725278
20. Chang, D. C. and J. X. Zheng, "Electromagnetic modeling of passive circuit elements in MMIC's," IEEE Transactions Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 9, 1741-1747, Sept. 1992. doi:10.1109/22.156600