Time Reversal Mirror (TRM) technique, in the virtue of its high resolution in the heterogeneous media, has been widely applied in the area of acoustics and electromagnetics. In this paper, the technique is developed to imaging targets in the contest of ultra-wideband (UWB) through wall radar (TWR) through numerical simulation. We firstly consider the technique to image targets behind a single-layered wall and then extend to the multi-layered wall. The simulation results have reported the imaging capability of the algorithm and its powerful use for TWRimaging. For concerning the image stability, we investigate the TRM images for the case in which there is a mismatch between the walls associated with the forward and inverse phases of time reversal. The back projection imaging algorithm is compared here at the same time for a contrast of the imaging quality. Finally, some conclusions are drawn.
"Application of TRM in the UWB through
Wall Radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 87, 279-296, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08101202
1. Ferris, Jr., D. D. and N. C. Currie, "A survey of current technologies for through-the-wall surveillance," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 3577, 62-72, 1998. doi:10.1117/12.336988
2. Hunt, A. R., "A wideband imaging radar for through-the-wall surveillance," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5403, 590-596, 2004. doi:10.1117/12.542718
3. Borek, S. E., "An overview of through the wall surveillance for homeland security," IEEE, Proceedings of the 34th Applied Imagery and Pattern Recognition Workshop, 6-11, 2005.
4. Zhuge, X., T. G. Savalyev, and A. G. Yarovoy, "Assessment of electromagnetic requirements for UWB through-wall radar," IEEE, Proc. ICEAA, 923-926, 2007.
5. Yang, Y. and A. E. Fathy, "See-through-wall imaging using ultra wideband short-pulse radar system," IEEE, Anten. and Propag. Society International Symposium, Vol. 38, 334-337, 2005. doi:10.1109/APS.2005.1552508
6. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact Vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08040601
7. Hunt, A. R., "A wideband imaging radar for through-the-wall surveillance," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5403, 590-596, 2004. doi:10.1117/12.542718
8. Beeri, A. and R. Daisy, "High-resolution through wall imaging," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6201, 62010J, 2006. doi:10.1117/12.673616
9. Hunt, A. R., "Image formation through walls using a distributed radar sensor array," Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition Workshop, 232-237, 2003. doi:10.1109/AIPR.2003.1284277
10. Fan, Z. G., L. X. Ran, and J. A. Kong, "Source pulse optimizations for UWB radio systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1535-1550, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274309
11. Zetik, R., S. Crabbe, J. Krajnak, P. Peyerl, J. Sachs, and R. Thoma, "Detection and localization of persons behind obstacles using Msequence through-the-wall radar," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6201, 62010I, 2006. doi:10.1117/12.667989
12. Song, L.-P., C. Yu, and Q. H. Liu, "Through-wall imaging (TWI) by radar: 2-D tomographic results and analyses," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, 2793-2798, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2005.857914
13. Cui, G., L. Kong, and J. Yang, "A back-projection algorithm to stepped-frequency synthetic aperture through-the-wall radar imaging," Process of 1st Asian and Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 123-126, 2007.
14. Abubakar, A., P. M. van den Berg, and S. Y. Semenov, "Two and three dimensional algorithms for microwave imaging and inverse three dimensional algorithms for microwave imaging and inverse," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 37, 57-79, 2002.
15. Song, L. P., Q. H. Liu, F. Li, and Z. Q. Zhang, "Reconstruction of three dimensional objects in layered media: Numerical experiments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 1556-1561, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842585
16. Ahmad, F., M. G. Amin, and G. Mandapati, "Autofocusing of through-the-wall radar imagery under unknown wall characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 16, 1785-1795, 2007. doi:10.1109/TIP.2007.899030
17. Fink, M., "Time reversal of ultrasonic fields-part I: Basic principles," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, Vol. 39, 555-566, 1992. doi:10.1109/58.156174
19. Derode, A., P. Roux, and M. Fink, "Robust acoustic time reversal with high-order multiple scattering," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 75, 4206-4209, 1995. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.75.4206
20. Kim, S., G. F. Edelmann, W. A. Kuperman, W. S. Hodgkiss, H. C. Song, and T. Akal, "Spatial resolution of time-reversal arrays in shallow water," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 110, 820-829, 2001. doi:10.1121/1.1382619
21. Borcea, L., C. Tsogka, G. Papanicolaou, and J. Berryman, "Imaging and time reversal in random media," Inverse Problems, Vol. 18, 1247-1279, 2002. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/18/5/303
22. Tsogka, C. and G. Papanicolaou, "Time reversal through a solid-liquid interface and super-resolution," Inverse Problems, Vol. 18, 1639-1657, 2002. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/18/6/314
23. Papanicolaou, G., L. Ryzhik, and K. Solna, "The parabolic wave approximation and time reversal," Matematica Contemporanea, Vol. 23, 139-160, 2002.
24. Lerosey, G., J. de Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, G. Montaldo, and M. Fink, "Time reversal of electromagnetic waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 92, 1939041-3, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.92.193904
25. Liu, D., G. Kang, L. Li, Y. Chen, S. Vasudevan, W. Joines, Q. H. Liu, J. Krolik, and L. Carin, "Electromagnetic time-reversal imaging of a target in a cluttered environment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 3058-3066, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.854563
26. Tortel, H., G. Micolau, and M. Saillard, "Decomposition of the time reversal operator for electromagnetic scattering," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 13, 687-719, 1999. doi:10.1163/156939399X01113
27. Liu, D., J. Krolik, and L. Carin, "Electromagnetic target detection in uncertain media: Time-reversal and minimum-variance," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, 934-944, 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2006.890411
28. Liu, D., S. Vasudevan, J. Krolik, G. Bal, and L. Carin, "Electromagnetic time-reversal source localization in changing media: Experiment and analysis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, 344-354, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889807
29. Chen, X., "Time-reversal operator for a small sphere in electromagnetic fields," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 1219-1230, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134434
30. Rao, T. and X. Chen, "Analysis of the time-reversal operator for a single cylinder under two-dimensional settings," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 2153-2165, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322503
31. Chambers, D. H. and J. G. Berryman, "Analysis of the time-reversal operator for a small spherical scatterer in an electromagnetic field," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 1729-1738, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.831323
32. Bal, G. and R. Verastegui, "Time reversal in changing environment," SIAM Mult. Mod. Simul., Vol. 2, 639-661, 2004. doi:10.1137/030600837
33. Blomgren, P., G. Papanicolaou, and H. Zhao, "Super-resolution in time-reversal acoustics," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 111, 230-248, 2002. doi:10.1121/1.1421342
35. Clouet, J. F. and J. -P. Fouque, "A time-reversal method for an acoustical pulse propagating in randomly layered media," Wave Motion., Vol. 25, 361-368, 1997. doi:10.1137/S1540345902414443
36. Fouque, J.-P. and K. Sqlna, "Time reversal aperture enhancement," SIAM Mult. Mod. Simul., Vol. 1, 239-259, 2003. doi:10.1142/S0219493702000522
37. Bal, G., G. Papanicolaou, and L. Ryzhik, "Self-averaging in time reversal for the parabolic wave equation," Stochastics and Dynamics, Vol. 2, 507-531, 2002. doi:10.1137/S0036139902411107
38. Papanicolaou, G., L. Ryzhik, and K. Solna, "Statistical stability in time reversal," SIAM J. on Appl. Math., Vol. 64, 1133-1155, 2004. doi:10.1137/S0036139902411107
39. Chen, G. P., W. B. Yu, Z. Q. Zhao, et al. "The prototype of microwave-induced thermo-acoustic tomography imaging by time reversal mirror," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, 2008.
40. Chen, G. P., Z. Q. Zhao, and Q. H. Liu, "Computational study of time reversal mirror technique for microwave-induced thermoacoustic tomography," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 2191-2204, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07082501
41. Xiao, S. Q., J. Chen, B.-Z. Wang, and X. F. Liu, "A numerical study on time-reversal electromagnetic wave for indoor ultra-wideband signal transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 329-342, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07102205
42. Liu, X., B.-Z. Wang, S. Xiao, and J. Deng, "Performance of impulse radio UWB communications based on time reversal technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 401-413, 2008. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1532538
43. Zhao, Z., N. Li, J. Smith, and L. Carin, "Analysis of scattering from very large three-dimensional rough surface using MLFMM and ray-based analyses," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, 20-30, 2005. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1532538