The PMCT probe, saying, one kind of open-ended coaxial probe adopted widely in microwave coagulation therapy of cancer, has been used to measure the complex permittivity of freshly excised specimens of normal animal tissues. The RFM model for PMCT probe is developed to extract the anticipant permittivity of specimens under test. In addition, the effects of several factors on the measurement results have been considered and discussed, including different temperature and reference materials, as well as the sampling frequency range and intervals of the rational function model. All the experiments have been conducted at the microwave frequency range from 450 MHz to 14.5 GHz.
1. Wang, Y. and M. Afsar, "Measurement of complex permittivity of liquids using waveguides techniques," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1311-1312, Sept. 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322520052
2. Fukes, P., G. Kristensson, and G. Larson, "Permittivity profile reconstruction using transient electromagnetic reflection data," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 12, No. 2, 245-248, Feb. 1998. doi:10.1163/156939398X00818
3. Stuchly, M. and S. Stuchly, "Coaxial line reflection methods for measuring dielectric properties of biological substances at radio and microwave frequencies: A review," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 29, No. 9, 176-183, 1980. doi:10.1109/TIM.1980.4314902
4. Athey, T., M. Stuchly, and S. Stuchly, "Measurement of radio frequency permittivity of biological tissues with an open-ended coaxial line: Part I," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 30, No. 1, 82-86, Jan. 1982. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1982.1131021
5. Fear, E. and M. Stuchly, "Microwave detection of breast cancer," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1854-1863, Nov. 2000.
6. Popovic, D. and M. Okoniewski, "Effects of mechanical flaws in open-ended coaxial probes for dielectric spectroscopy," IEEE Microwave Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 12, No. 10, 401-403, Oct. 2002. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2002.803192
7. Stuchly, S., C. Sibbald, and J. Anderson, "A new aperture admittance model for open-ended waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 2, 192-198, Feb. 1994. doi:10.1109/22.275246
8. Anderson, J., C. Sibbald, and S. Stuchly, "Dielectric measurements using a rational function model," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 2, 199-204, Feb. 1994. doi:10.1109/22.275247
10. Gabriel, C., T. Chan, and E. Grant, "Admittance models for open-ended coaxial probes and their places in the dielectric spectroscopy," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 39, No. 6, 2183-2200, Jun. 1994. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/39/12/004
11. Nyshadham, A., C. Sibbald, and S. Stuchly, "Permittivity measurements using open-ended sensors and reference liquid calibration | An uncertainty analysis," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 2, 305-315, Feb. 1992. doi:10.1109/22.120103
12. Hagl, D., D. Popovic, S. Hagness, J. Booske, and M. Okoniewski, "Sensing volume of open-ended coaxial probes for dielectric characterization of breast tissue at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 4, 1194-1207, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809626
13. Wang, Z. and W. Che, "In-vitro and in-vivo techniques to measure the dielectric constant of biological tissues at microwave frequencies," IEEE ICMMT Proc., Vol. 2, 922-926, Apr. 2008.
14. Olmi, R., M. Bini, R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, and C. Riminesi, "Improvement of the permittivity measurement by a 3D full-wave analysis of a finite flanged coaxial probe," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 2, 217-232, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1163/156939304323062103
15. Gabriel, S., R. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: Part III. Parametric models for the dielectric spectrum of tissue," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 41, No. 11, 2271-2293, Nov. 1996. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/41/11/003