In this paper, the design, simulation, and fabrication of a double-ridged antenna is presented. The designed double-ridged antenna is most suitable as a feed element in reflectors of the radar systems and EMC applications. The designed antenna has a voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) less than 2 for the frequency range of 8-18 GHz. Moreover, the proposed antenna exhibits satisfactory far-field radiation characteristics in the entire operating bandwidth. A coaxial line to rectangular double-ridged waveguide transition is introduced for coaxial feeding of the designed antenna. The proposed antenna is simulated with commercially available packages such as CST microwave studio and Ansoft HFSS in the operating frequency range. Simulation results for the VSWR, radiation patterns, and gain of the designed antenna over the frequency band 8-18 GHz are presented and discussed.
1. Li, H., B. Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "Novel broadband reflect array antenna with compound-cross-loop elements for millimeter-wave application," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1333-1340, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239528
2. Ren, W., J. Y. Deng, and K. S. Chen, "Compact PCB monopole antenna for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1411-1420, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239401
3. Coulibaly, Y., T. A. Denidani, and L. Talbi, "Design of a broadband hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for X-band," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1629-1642, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292354
4. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Compact UWB bandnotch with transmission-line-fed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121407
5. Khan, S. N., J. Hu, J. Xiong, and S. He, "Circular fractal monopole antenna for low VSWR UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 19-25, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07110903
6. Saed, M. A., "Broadband CPW-FED planar slot antennas with various tuning stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 199-212, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112703
7. Xioa, S., J. Chen, X.-F. Liu, and B. Z. Wang, "Spatial focusing characteristics of time reversal UWB pulse transmission with different antenna arrays ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 189-206, 2008.
8. Yin, X. C., C. Ruan, Y. C. Ding, and J. H. Chua, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07121405
9. Jiao, J. J., G. Zhao, F. S. Zhang, H. W. Yuan, and Y. C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-FED T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 76, 237-242, 2007.
10. Walton, K. L. and V. C. Sundberg, "Broadband ridged horn design," Microwave J., 96-101, March 1964.
11. Kerr, J. L., "Short axial length broad-band horns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 21, 710-714, September 1973. doi:10.1109/TAP.1973.1140561
12. Hopfer, S., "The design of ridged waveguides," IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 3, 20-29, October 1955.
14. Jarvis, D. A. and T. C. Rao, "Design of double-ridged rectangular wave guide of arbitrary aspect ratio and ridge height," IEE Proc. --- Microw. Antenna Propagat. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 147, 31-34, 2000. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20000013
15. Reig, C. and E. Navarro, "FDTD analysis of E-sectoral horn antenna for broadband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1484-1487, October 1997. doi:10.1109/8.633854
16. Bunger, R., R. Beyer, and F. Arndt, "Rigorous combined mode-matching integral equation analysis of horn antennas with arbitrary cross section," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 11, 1641-1648, November 1999. doi:10.1109/8.814943
17. Bruns, C., P. Leuchtmann, and R. Vahldieck, "Analysis and simulation of a 1–18 GHz broadband double-ridged horn antenna," IEEE Transaction on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 45, 55-59, February 2003.
18. Botello-Perez, M., H. Jardon-Aguilar, and I. Ruiz, "Design and simulation of a 1 to 14 GHz broadband electromagnetic compatibility DRGH antenna," ICEEE-ICE 2005, 2nd International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 118-121, September 2005. doi:10.1109/ICEEE.2005.1529587
19. Rodriguez, V., "New broadband EMC double-ridged guide horn antenna," R. F. Des., 44-47, May 2004.
20. Abbas-Azimi, M., F. Arazm, J. R. Mohassel, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Design and optimization of a new 1–18 GHz double ridged guide horn antenna ," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 501-506, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780616810