This paper presents a diagnosis method for articular cartilage damage using polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography (PS-OCT). Through signal analysis, the optical characteristics of intact cartilage and different types of mild lesions within cartilages can be quantified from measures such as the scattering coefficient (μs), effective anisotropy factor (geff), and birefringence coefficient (Δn). Our preliminary investigation using porcine articular cartilage indicated that both subsurface morphological changes and apparent variations in optical properties, which may be the early signs of cartilage degeneration, were found in three types of diseased cartilages.
1. Chan, W. P., P. Lang, M. P. Stevens, M. S. Sack, E. W. Stoller, C. Basch, and H. K. Genant, "Osteoarthritis of the knee: comparison of radiography, CT, and MR imaging to assess extent and severity," AJR Am. J. Roentgenol., Vol. 157, 799-806, 1991.
2. Huang, D., E. A. Swanson, C. P. Lin, J. S. Schuman, W. G. Stinson, W. Chang, M. R. Hee, T. Flotte, K. Gregory, C. A. Pufialito, and J. G. Fujimoto, "Optical coherence tomography," Science, Vol. 254, 1178-1181, 1991. doi:10.1126/science.1957169
3. Li, X., S. Martin, C. Pitris, R. Ghanta, D. L. Stamper, M. Harman, J. G. Fujimoto, and M. E. Brezinski, "High-resolution optical coherence tomographic imaging of osteoarthritic cartilage during open knee surgery," Arthritis Res. Ther., Vol. 7, R318-R323, 2005. doi:10.1186/ar1491
4. Adams, Jr., S. B., P. R. Herz, D. L. Stamper, M. J. Roberts, S. Bourquin, N. A. Patel, K. Schneider, S. D. Martin, S. Shortkroff, J. G. Fujimoto, and M. E. Brezinski, "High-resolution imaging of progressive articular cartilage degeneration," J. Orthop. Res., Vol. 24, 708-715, 2006. doi:10.1002/jor.20083
5. Herrmann, J. M., C. Pitris, B. E. Bouma, S. A. Boppart, C. A. Jesser, D. L. Stamper, J. G. Fujimoto, and M. E. Brezinski, "High-resolution imaging of normal and osteoarthritic cartilage with optical coherence tomography," J. Rheumatol., Vol. 26, 627-635, 1999.
6. Chu, C. R., D. Lin, J. L. Geisler, C. T. Chu, F. H. Fu, and Y. Pan, "Arthroscopic microscopy of articular cartilage using optical coherence tomography ," The American Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 32, 699-709, 2004. doi:10.1177/0363546503261736
7. Hee, M. R., D. Huang, E. A. Swanson, and J. G. Fujimoto, "Polarization sensitive low coherence reflectometer for birefringence characterization and ranging," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 9, 903-908, 1992. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.9.000903
8. Drexler, W., D. Stamper, C. Jesser, X. Li, C. Pitris, K. Saunders, S. Martin, M. B. Lodge, J. G. Fujimoto, and M. E. Brezinski, "Correlation of collagen organization with polarization sensitive imaging of in vitro cartilage: Implications for osteoarthritis," J. Rheumatol., Vol. 28, 1311-1318, 2001.
9. Ugryumova, N., D. P. Attenburrow, C. P. Winlove, and S. J. Matcher, "The collagen structure of equine articular cartilage, characterized using polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 38, 2612-2619, 2005. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/38/15/012
10. Xie, T., S. Guo, J. Zhang, Z. Chen, and G. M. Peavy, "Use of polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography to determine the directional polarization sensitivity of articular cartilage and meniscus," J. Biomed. Opt., Vol. 11, 064001∼1-064001∼8, 2006. doi:10.1117/1.2397574
11. Kuo, W. C., N. K. Chou, C. Chou, C. M. Lai, H. J. Huang, and J. J. Shyu, "Polarization-sensitive optical coherence tomography for imaging human atherosclerosis," Appl. Opt., Vol. 46, 2520-2527, 2007. doi:10.1364/AO.46.002520
12. Thrane, L., H. T. Yura, and P. E. Andersen, "Analysis of optical coherence tomography systems based on the extended Huygens-Fresenel principle," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 17, 484-490, 2000. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.17.000484
13. Clark, J. M., "The organization fo collagen fibrils in the superficial zones of articular cartilage," J. Anat., Vol. 171, 117-130, 1990.
14. Hayasaki, Y., "Holographic femtosecond laser processing and three-dimensional recording in biological tissues," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 115-123, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07122808
15. Mauriello, P. and D. Patella, "Resistivity tensor probability tomography," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 129-146, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08051604
16. Zainud-Deen, S. H., W. M. Hassen, E. M. Ali, and K. H. Awadalla, "Breast cancer detection using a hybrid finite difference frequency domain and particle swarm optimization techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 35-46, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112703
17. Yan, L., K. Huang, and C. Liu, "A noninvasive method for determining dielectric properties of layered tissues on human back," Journal of Eletromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1829-1843, 2007.
18. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On measuring the permittivity tensor of an anisotropic material from the transmission coefficients," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 105-116, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08072005