A deterministic method for detecting faulty elements in phased arrays is proposed and tested against experimental and numerical data. The solution approach assumes as input the amplitude and phase of the near-field distributions and allows to determine both positions and currents of radiating elements. The corresponding non linear inverse problem is properly solved by exploiting the distributional approach, which allows to cast the initial problem to the solution of a linear one, whose solution is made stable by adopting a proper regularization scheme based on the Truncated Singular Value Decomposition tool. The results fully confirm accuracy of the proposed technique.
2. Cailoce, Y., G. Caille, I. Albert, and J. M. Lopez, "A Ka-band direct radiating array providing multiple beams for a satellite multimedia mission," IEEE 2000 International Conference on Phased Array System and Technology Proceedings, 403-406, 2006.
3., Toso, G., C. Mangenot, and A. G. Roederer, "Sparse and thinned arrays for multiple beam satellite applications," Proc. of 29th ESA Antenna Workshop on Multiple Beams and Reconfigurable Antennas, 207-210, 2007.
4. Yang, S., Q. Liu, J. Yuan, and S. Zhou, "Fast and otimal design of a K-band transmitt-receive active antenna array," PIER Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 281-299, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08082205
5. Yuan, H. W., S. X. Gong, and P. F. Zhang, "Wide scanning phased array antenna using printed dipole antennas with parasitic element," PIER Progress in Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 187-193, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08011602
6., Patnaik, A., B. Chowdhury, P. Pradhan, R. K. Mishra, and C. Christodolou, "An ANN application for fault finding in antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, 775-777, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891557
7. Castaldi, G., V. Pierro, and I. Pinto, "Efficient faulty elements diagnostics of large antenna arrays by discrete mean field neural nets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 25, 53-76, 2000.
8. Yeo, B. and Y. Lu, "Array failure correction with a genetic algorithm," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 823-828, May 1999. doi:10.1109/8.774136
9. Rodriguez, J. A., F. Ares, H. Palacios, and J. Vassal'lo, "Finding defective elements in planar arrays using genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, J. A. Kong (ed.), PIER 29, Ch. 2, 25–37, EMW Publishing, Cambridge, MA, 2000.
10. Lee, J. J., E. M. Ferren, D. P. Woollen, and K. M. Lee, "Near-field probe used as a diagnostic tool to locate defective elements in an array antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36-6, 884-889, Jun. 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1192
11. Bucci, O. M., M. D. Migliore, G. Panariello, and P. Sgambato, "Accurate diagnosis of conformal arrays from near-field data using the matrix method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 1114-1120, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842656
12. Nemirovsky, A. S. and D. B. Yudin, Problem Complexity and Method Efficiency in Optimization, Interscience Series in Discrete Mathematics, Wiley, 1983.
13. Wolpert, D. H. and W. G. Macready, "No free lunch theorems for optimization," IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 1, 67-82, 1997. doi:10.1109/4235.585893
14. Bertero, M. and P. Boccacci, Introduction to Inverse Problems in Imaging, Institute of Physics, Bristol, UK, 1998.
15. Rodriguez, J. A., M. Fernandez-Delgado, J. Bregains, R. Iglesias, S. Barro, and F. Ares, "A comparison among several techniques for finding defective elements in antenna arrays," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2007, 1-8, Nov. 2007.
16. Pierri, R., R. Solimene, A. Liseno, and J. Romano, "Linear distribution imaging of thin metallic cylinders under mutual scattering," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Prop., Vol. 53, 3019-3029, Sept. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.854528
17. Solimene, R., A. Brancaccio, J. Romano, and R. Pierri, "Localizing thin metallic cylinders by a 2.5 D linear distributional approach: Experimental results," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Prop., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2630-2637, Aug. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.927506
18. Solimene, R., A. Buonanno, and R. Pierri, "Imaging small PEC spheres by a linear delta-approach," IEEE Trans. Geosc. Rem. Sen., Vol. 46, No. 10, 3010-3018, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.919273
19. D'Urso, M and T. Isernia, "Solving some array synthesis problems by means of an effective hybrid approach," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Prop., Vol. 55, No. 8, 750-759, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891554
20. Bucci, O. M., C. Gennarelli, and C. Savarese, "Representation of electromagnetic fields over arbitrary surfaces by a finite and non redundant number of samples," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Prop., Vol. 46, 351-359, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.662654
21. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 2nd edition, Wiley, New York, 1997.