This paper presents a method to construct composite right/left-handed transmission line using coupled lines. A general procedure to design a composite right/left-handed unit cell is presented. The procedure was used on a specific coupled line configuration, which is the coupled microstrip lines with slotted ground. It is shown that by proper design of the slotted ground, the coupling between the two microstrip lines can be increased dramatically keeping practical dimensions for the coupled line width and spacing. Moreover, with accurate slotted ground design, equal even and odd electrical lengths can be achieved. The performance of this composite right/left-handed line, which is characterized by backward waves with phase advance, is demonstrated by both simulated and measured results and they show good agreement. The realized composite right/left-handed transmission line has a broad bandwidth and small size.
1. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Transmission line approach of left handed LH materials and microstrip impelementation of an artificial LH transmission line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 1159-1166, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827249
2. Masot, F., F. Medina, and M. Horno, "Theoretical and experimental study of modified coupled strip coupler," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 4, 347-348, Feb. 1992. doi:10.1049/el:19920217
3. Velazquez-Ahumada, M., J. Martel, and F. Medina, "Parallel coupled microstrip filters with ground-plane aperature for spurious band suppression and enhanced coupling," band suppression and enhanced coupling Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 1082-1086, Mar. 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.823593
4. Jones, E. M. T. and J. T. Bolljahn, "Coupled-strip-transmission-line filters and directional couplers," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 75-81, Apr. 1956. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1956.1125022
5. Richard, P. I., "Resistor-transmission line circuits," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 36, 217-230, Feb. 1948.
6. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, JohnWiley and Sons, 1998.
7. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, 2006.