This paper presents an Extended Exact Transfer Function (EETF) algorithm for Bistatic Synthetic Aperture Radar (BiSAR) imaging of a Translational Invariant (TI) case. This algorithm adopts directly the 2D transfer function of monostatic SAR (MoSAR), instead of deriving a new one, by converting the BiSAR into an equivalent MoSAR. A new azimuth phase compensation function is constructed through exploiting this equivalency. Geometry distortion correction for BiSAR imaging result is considered in the proposed algorithm. In addition, the applying condition of the algorithm is also discussed. One desirable property of the proposed algorithm is that the computing flow and efficiency are the same as ETF algorithm for MoSAR. The effectiveness is validated by point target simulations with Tandem and forward-looking configuration.
1. Ben Kassem, M. J., J. Saillard, and A. Khenchaf, "BISAR mapping I. Theory and modeling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 39-65, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05092201
2. Ben Kassem, M. J., J. Saillard, and A. Khenchaf, "BISAR mapping II. Treatment, simulation and experimentation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 67-87, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06012403
3. Krieger, G. and A. Moreira, "Spaceborne bi- and multistatic SAR: Potentials and challenges," IEE Proc. Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 153, No. 3, 184-198, 2006. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20045111
4. Ender, J., "A step to bistatic SAR processing," Proc. of EUSAR, 356-359, 2004.
5. Ender, J., I. Walterscheid, and A. Brenner, "New aspects of bistatic SAR: Processing and experiments," Proc. of IGARSS, 1758-1762, 2004.
6. Walterscheid, I., J. Ender, A. Brenner, and O. Loffeld, "Bistatic SAR processing and experiments," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 44, No. 10, 2710-2717, 2006. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20045117
7. Dubois-Fernandez, P., H. Cantalloube, B. Vaizan, G. Krieger, R. Horn, M. Wendler, and V. Giroux, "ONERA-DLR bistatic SAR campaign: Planning, data acquisition, and first analysis of bistatic scattering behaviour of natural and urban targets," IEE Proc. Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 153, No. 3, 214-223, 2006. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20045091
8. Yates, G., A. M. Horne, A. P. Blake, R. Middleton, and D. B. Andre, "Bistatic SAR image formation," IEE Proc. Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 153, No. 3, 208-213, 2006. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2007.894144
9. Marcos, J., P. Dekker, J. Mallorqui, A. Aguasca, and P. Prats, "SABRINA: A SAR bistatic receiver for interferometric application," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 2, 307-311, 2007.
10. Ding, Y. and D. C. Munson Jr., "A fast back-projection algorithm for bistatic SAR imaging," IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Vol. 2, 449-452, 2002. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.835295
11. Loffeld, O., H. Nies, V. Peters, and S. Knedlik, "Models and useful relations for bistatic SAR," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 42, No. 10, 2031-2038, 2004.
12. Walterscheid, I., J. Ender, A. Brenner, and O. Loffeld, "Bistatic SAR processing using an omega-k type algorithm," Proc. of IGARSS, Vol. 2, 1064-1067, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2006.872725
13. Natroshvili, K., O. Loffeld, H. Nies, A. M. Ortiz, and S. Knedlik, "Focusing of general bistatic SAR configuration data with 2-D inverse scaled FFT," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 44, No. 10, 2718-2727, 2006.
14. Giroux, C., H. Cantalloube, and F. Daout, "An Omega-K algorithm for SAR bistatic systems," Proc. of IGARSS, Vol. 2, 1060-1063, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.917497
15. Qiu, X. L., D. H. Hu, and C. B. Ding, "An Omega-K algorithm with phase error compensation for bistatic SAR of a translational invariant case," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 8, 2224-2232, 2008. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.830166
16. D'Aria, D., A. M. Guarnieri, and F. Rocca, "Focusing bistatic synthetic aperture radar using dip move out," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 42, No. 7, 1362-1376, 2004. doi:10.1109/36.921412
17. Wong, F. H. and T. S. Yeo, "New applications of nonlinear chirp scaling in SAR data processing," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 39, No. 5, 946-953, 2001.
18. Bamler, R., F. Meyer, and W. Liebhar, "No math: Bistatic SAR processing using numerically computed transfer functions," Proc. of IGARSS, 1844-1847, 2006. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.895436
19. Bamler, R., F. Meyer, and W. Liebhart, "Processing of bistatic SAR data from quasi-stationary configurations," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 45, No. 11, 3350-3358, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAES.2004.1386870
20. Rigling, B. D. and R. L. Moses, "Polar format algorithm for bistatic SAR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 40, No. 4, 1147-1159, 2004. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2007.894144
21. Neo, Y., F.Wong, and I. Cumming, "A two-dimensional spectrum for bistatic SAR processing using series reversion," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 2, 307-311, 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2008.918015
22. Geng, X., H. Yan, and Y. Wang, "A two-dimensional spectrum model for general bistatic SAR," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 46, No. 8, 2216-2223, 2008.
23. Bamler, R., "A systematic comparison of SAR focusing algorithms," Proc. of IGARSS '91, 1005-1009, 1991.
24. Chang, C. Y., M. Y. Jin, and J. C. Curlander, "SAR processing based on the exact two-dimentional transfer function," Proc. of IGARSS '92, 355-359, 1992. doi:10.1109/TAES.2004.1292176
25. Eldhuset, K., "Ultra high resolution spaceborne SAR processing," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 4, No. 1, 370-378, 2004.
26. Raney, R. K. and P. W. Vachon, "A phase preserving SAR processor," Proc. of IGARSS, 2588-2591, 1989.
27. Cumming, I. G. and F. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2005.