The main aim of this paper is to accentuate the sensitivity of correlation length 'l' as an important roughness parameter in quantifying the moisture content of bare soil surfaces with specular scattering. For this purpose, an indigenously designed bistatic scatterometer has been used to generate co-polarized specular data at X-band (10 GHz) with incidence angle varied from 30°-- 70°in steps of 10 degrees. The moisture and roughness conditions of the bare soil surface were changed under controlled conditions. Twenty seven experimental fields specified on the ground of different roughness and moisture conditions have been analyzed. Higher level of moisture content with larger correlation lengths was found to be more suitable for observing the effect of increasing rms height on specular scattering. Kirchhoff approach (KA) considered under the stationary phase approximation (SPA) has been used as an inversion algorithm with the application of genetic algorithm for the retrieval of soil parameters. A good agreement was observed between the experimental and retrieved values of soil moisture content (mν) and roughness parameters (s and l).
1. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Active and Passive, Vol. 2-3, Addison-Wesley Publishing company, Reading, MA, USA, 1982.
2. Oh, Y., K. Sarabandi, and F. T. Ulaby, "An empirical model and an inversion technique for radar scattering from bare soil surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, 370-381, 1992. doi:10.1109/36.134086
3. Dubois, P., J. Van Zyl, and T. Engman, "Measuring soil moisture with imaging radars," IEEE Transations on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 33, 915-926, 1995. doi:10.1109/36.406677
4. Ceraldi, E., G. Franceschetti, A. Iodice, and D. Riccio, "Estimating the soil dielectric constant via scattering measurements along the specular direction," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 43, No. 2, 295-305, 2005. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.841357
5. Singh, D. and V. Dubey, "Microwave bistatic polarization measurements for retrieval of soil moisture using an incidence angle approach," Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, Vol. 4, 75-82, 2007. doi:10.1088/1742-2132/4/1/009
6. Khadra, K. B., "Surface parameter estimation using bistatic polarimetric X-band measurements,", Ph.D. thesis, German Aerospace Centre (DLR), Institute of Radio Frequency Technology, Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany, 2008.
7. Roo, R. D., "Theory and measuerement of bistatic scattering of X band microwaves from rough dielectric surfaces,", Ph.D. thesis, Michigan University, USA, 1996.
8. Macelloni, G., G. Nesti, P. Pampaloni, S. Sigismmondi, D. Tarchi, and S. Lolli, "Experimental validation of surface scattering and emission models," IEEE Transations on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 38, No. 1, 203-244, 2000.
9. Singh, D., "Polarization discrimination ratio approach to retrieve bare soil moisture at X-band," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium Proceedings, 408-411, Seoul, Korea, Jul. 25-29, 2005.
11. Yisok, O. H. and J. Y. Hong, "Effect of surface profile length on the backscattering coefficients of bare surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, 632-638, 2002.
12. Jun, Z. and S. Donglin, "Scattering signatures analysis using genetic algorithm," Asia-Pacific Conference on Environmental Electromagnetics, CEEM'2003, 514-517, Nov. 4-7, 2003.
13. Curie, N. C., Radar Reflectivity Measurement: Techniques and Applications, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1989.
14. Kuria, D., L. Hui, T. Koike, H. Tsutsui, and T. Graf, "Multi-frequency response to periodic roughness," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium Proceedings, 1744-1747, Denver, Colorado, Jul. 31-Aug. 4, 2006.
15. Rahman, M. M., M. S. Moran, D. P. Thoma, R. Bryant, E. E. Sano, C. D. Holifield Collins, S. Skirvin, C. Kreshner, and B. J. Orr, "A description of roughness correlation length for parameterizing backscatter models," IJRS, Vol. 28, 3995-4012, 2007. doi:10.1080/01431160601075533
16. Zribi, M., N. Baghdadi, N. Holah, and O. Fafin, "New methodology for soil surface moisture estimation and its application to ENVISAT-ASAR multi-incidence data inversion," Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 96, 485-496, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.rse.2005.04.005
17. Hajnsek, I., "Inversion of surface parameters using polarimetric SAR,", Ph.D. thesis, Friedrich-Schilller university Jena, Institute of geography, Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany, 2001.
18. Mardle, S. and S. Pascoe, "An overview of genetic algorithms for the solution of optimization problems," CHEER, Vol. 13, 1999.
19. Zribi, M. and M. Dechambre, "A new empirical model to retrieve soil moisture and roughness from C-band radar data," Remote Sensing of Environment, Vol. 84, 42-52, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0034-4257(02)00069-X
20. Mittal, G. and D. Singh, "Microwave response on surface roughness at X-band for remote sensing," ICRS (International Centre of Remote Sensing) Conference, Jodhpur (Rajasthan), India, Feb. 27-29, 2008.