This paper proposes an efficient and automatic means of achieving a reduced model of a transfer function for UWB antenna design. According to the formulation of a transfer function, we have derived two factors, which are critical in determining the radiation pattern and input impedance respectively. Their special formula allow us to establish a reduced model automatically using the Model Order Reduction (MOR) techniques of a second order system. The process is free of any human factors and suitable to any antenna systems, thus enabling a direct and efficient interface with the optimization process in the design of a UWB antenna system. In addition, the proposed way of establishing a transfer function of the whole antenna system has successfully cascaded the entire system into separate subsystems, thus offering deeper insights in analyzing a UWB antenna system.
Yee Hui Lee,
"An Automatic Model Order Reduction of a UWB Antenna System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 104, 267-282, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09103001
1. Zwierzchowski, S. and P. Jazayeri, "A systems and network analysis approach to antenna design for UWB communications," Journal Title Abbreviation, Vol. 1, 826-829, 2003.
2. Chen, Z. N., X. H. Wu, H. F. Li, N. Yang, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Considerations for source pulses and antennas in UWB radio systems," Journal Title Abbreviation, Vol. 52, 1739-1748, 2004.
3. Qing, X. M., Z. N. Chen, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Network approach to UWB antenna transfer functions characterization," The European Conference on Wireless Technology 2005, 293-296, 2005.
4. Zhang, Z. and Y. H. Lee, "A modified model-based interpolation method to accelerate the characterization of UWB antenna system," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, 475-479, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.889948
5. Rego, C. G. C., J. S. Nunes, and M. N. De Abreu Bueno, "Unified characterization of UWB antennas in time and frequency domains: An approach based on the singularity expansion method," IMOC 2007, 827-831, 2007.
6. Duroc, Y., R. Khouri, V. T. Beroulle, P. Vuong, and S. Tedjini, "Considerations on the characterization and the modelization of ultra-wideband antennas," ICUWB 2007, 491-496, 2007.
7. Licul, S. and W. A. Davis, "Unified frequency and time-domain antenna modeling and characterization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 2882-2888, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.854533
8. Antoulas, A. C., Approximation of Large-Scale Dynamical Systems, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematic, 2005.
9. Miller, E. K., "Model-based parameter estimation in electromagnetics. II. Applications to EM observables," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 40, 51-65, 1998. doi:10.1109/74.683542
10. Zhao, Z. Q., C.-H. Ahn, and L. Carin, "Nonuniform frequency sampling with active learning: Application to wide-band frequency-domain modeling and design," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 3049-3057, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.854540
11. Meerbergen, K., "The Quadratic Arnoldi method for the solution of the quadratic eigenvalue problem," SIAM. J. Matrix Anal. Appl., Vol. 30, No. 4, 1463-1482, 2008. doi:10.1137/07069273X
12. Makarov, S. N., Antenna and EM Modeling with Matlab, Wiley-Interscience, 2002.
13. Rao, S., D. Wilton, and A. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, 409-418, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
14. Duroc, Y., V. Tan-Phu, and S. Tedjini, "A time/frequency model of ultrawideband antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, 2342-2350, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901834
15. Virga, K. L. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Efficient wide-band evaluation of mobile communications antennas using [Z] or [Y ] matrix interpolation with the method of moments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, 65-76, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.752990
16. Newman, E. H., "Generation of wide-band data from the method of moments by interpolating the impedance matrix [EM problems]," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 36, 1820-1824, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.14404
18. Bai, Z. J. and Y. F. Su, "SOAR: A second-order arnoldi method for the solution of the quadratic eigenvalue problem," SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., Vol. 26, 640-659, 2004.
19. Rommes, J. and N. Martins, "Efficient computation of transfer function dominant poles of large second-order dynamical systems," SIAM J. Sci. Comput., Vol. 30, 2137-2157, 2008. doi:10.1137/070684562
20. Balmes, E., "Model reduction for systems with frequency dependent damping properties," International Modal Analysis Conference, 1996.