Ultra-Wide Band (UWB) technology is a new, useful and safe technology in the field of wireless body networks. This paper focuses on the feasibility of estimating vital signs --- specifically breathing rate and heartbeat frequency --- from the spectrum of recorded waveforms, using an impulse-radio (IR) UWB radar. To this end, an analytical model is developed to perform and interpret the spectral analysis. Both the harmonics and the intermodulation between respiration and heart signals are addressed. Simulations have been performed to demonstrate how they affect the detection of vital signs and also to analyze the influence of the pulse waveform. A filter to cancel out breathing harmonics is also proposed to improve heart rate detection. The results of the experiments are presented under different scenarios which demonstrate the accuracy of the proposed technique for determining respiration and heartbeat rates. It has been shown that an IR-UWB radar can meet the requirements of typical biomedical applications such as non-invasive heart and respiration rate monitoring.
1. Zhuang, W., X. Shen, and Q. Bi, "Ultra-wideband wireless communications," Wirel. Commun. Mob. Comput., Vol. 3, 663-685, 2003. doi:10.1002/wcm.149
2. Fontana, R. J., "Recent system applications of short-pulse ultra-wideband (UWB) technology," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, No. 9, 2087-2104, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.834186
3. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), "First report and order in the matter of revision of Part 15 of the commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems ,", ET Docket 98-153, FCC 02-48, Apr. 2002.
4. Lu, G., P. Spasojevic, and L. Greenstein, Antenna and pulse designs for meeting UWB spectrum density requirements, 2003 IEEE Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies, Reston, VA, USA, Nov. 2003.
5. Pozar, D. M., "Waveform optimization for ultrawideband radio systems ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 9, 2335-2345, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816313
6. Staderini, E. M., "UWB radars in medicine," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 1, 13-18, 2002. doi:10.1109/62.978359
7. McEwan, T. E., "Body monitoring and imaging apparatus and method,", US Patent 5,766,208.
8. Bilich, C. G., Bio-medical sensing using ultra wideband communications and radar technology: A feasibility study, IEEE Pervasive Health Conference and Workshops, 1-9, Nov. 2006.
9. Bond, E. J., L. Xu, S. C. Hagness, and B. D. Van Veen, "Microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early detection of breast cancer ," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1690-1704, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.815446
10. Ossberger, G., T. Buchegger, E. Schimback, A. Stelzer, and R. Weigel, "Non-invasive respiratory movement detection and monitoring of hidden humans using ultra wideband pulse radar," Proc. of the 2004 International Workshop on Ultra Wideband Systems Joint with Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technolo, 395-399, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2004. doi:10.1109/UWBST.2004.1321003
11. Chia, M. Y. W., S. W. Leong, C. K. Sim, and K. M. Chan, "Through-wall UWB radar operating within FCC's mask for sensing heart beat and breathing rate," IEEE European Microwave Conf. 2005, Vol. 3, 1-4, 2005.
12. Venkatesh, S., C. Anderson, N. V. Rivera, and R. M. Buehrer, Implementation and analysis of respiration-rate estimation using impulse-based UWB, 2005 IEEE Military Communications Conference (IEEE Milcom'05), Vol. 5, 3314-3320, Oct. 2005.
13. Immoreev, I. and T.-H. Tao, "UWB radar for patient monitoring," Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, No. 11, 11-18, 2008. doi:10.1109/MAES.2008.4693985
14. Ivashov , S. I., V. V. Razevig, A. P. Sheyko, and I. A. Vasilyev, Detection of human breathing and heartbeat by remote radar, Progress In Electromagnetic Research Symposium, 663-666, Pisa, Italy, Mar. 28-31, 2004.
15. Lubecke, O. B., P. W. Ong, and V. M. Lubecke, 10 GHz doppler radar sensing of respiration and heart movement, 2002 IEEE Proceedings of the IEEE 28th Annual Northeast Bioengineering Conference, 55-56.
16. Pinhasi, Y., A. Yahalom, and S. Petnev, "Propagation of ultra wide-band signals in lossy dispersive media," IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems, COMCAS 2008 , 1-10, May 13-14, 2008.
17. Safaai-Jazi, A., S. M. Riad, A. Muqaubel, and A. Bayram, "Report on through-the-wall propagation and material characterization," DARPA NETEX program \Ultrawideband propagation measurements and channel modeling , Nov. 2002.
18. Singh, M. and G. Ramachandran, "Reconstruction of sequential cardiac in-plane displacement patterns on the chest wall by laser speckle interferometry," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 38, No. 5, 483-489, 1991. doi:10.1109/10.81568