We have developed a proof-of-concept low power free electron maser that is compact and low cost. The design, set-up and results of a novel (without wiggler) low power X-band rectangular waveguide pre-bunched free electron maser (PFEM) are presented in this paper. Our device operates at 10 GHz, with 10 mWatt seeding input power and employs two rectangular waveguide cavities (one for velocity modulation and the other for energy extraction). The electron beam used in this experiment is produced by Thoria coated Iridium filament which can operate at 3 kV and up to 5 mA beam current. The effect of the aperture on the power leaking out of the waveguide is also analyzed. The TE10 mode propagation of the EM standing wave is used to pre-bunch the electron beams in the input cavity. The bunched electron beams are in the same phase as the TE10 mode propagation of the EM wave in the output cavity. This free electron maser could be useful industrially, as it could be used with the commercially available accelerating voltage supplies.
Mohd Fareq Bin Abd Malek,
"The Experimental Results of a Low Power X-Band Free Electron Maser by Electron Pre-Bunching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 101, 43-62, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09121604
1. Malek, F., J. Lucas, and Y. Huang, "Prototype design of compact and tuneable X-band pre-bunched free electron maser," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 85, 1-23, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08072404
2. Singh, G., "Analytical study of the interaction structure of vane-loaded gyro-travelling wave tube amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 41-66, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08010402
3. Motz, H., "Applications of the radiation from fast electron beams," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 22, 527-535, 1951. doi:10.1063/1.1700002
4. Sirkis, M. D. and P. D. Coleman, "The harmodotron --- A megavolt electronics millimeter wave generator," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 28, 944-950, 1957. doi:10.1063/1.1722918
5. Pantell, R. H., P D. Coleman, and R. C. Becker, "Dielectric slow-wave structures for the generation of power at millimeter and sub-millimeter wavelengths," IRE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 5, 167-173, 1958. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1958.14415
6. Sjoberg, D., "Determination of propagation constants and material data from waveguide measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 163-182, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08121304
7. Dwari, S., A. Chakraborty, and S. Sanyal, "Analysis of linear tapered waveguide by two approaches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 217-238, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06071902
8. Mondal, M. and A. Chakrabarty, "Resonant length calculation and radiation pattern synthesis of longitudinal slot antenna in rectangular waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 187-195, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08042204
9. De, A. and G. V. Attimarad, "Numerical analysis of two dimensional tapered dielectric waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 44, 131-142, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03062001
10. Lotfi Neyestanak, A. A. and D. Oloumi, "Waveguide band pass filter with identical tapered posts," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 17--18, 2475-2484, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787543804
11. Panda, D. K. K., A. Chakraborty, and S. R. Choudhury, "Analysis of co-channel interference at waveguide joints using multiple cavity modeling technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 91-98, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08042704
12. Hammou, D., E. Moldovan, and S. O. Tatu, "V-band microstrip to standard rectangular waveguide transition using a substrate integrated waveguide," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2--3, 221-230, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604319
13. Doria, A., G. P. Gallerano, E. Giovenale, S. Letardi, G. Messina, and C. Ronsivalle, "Enhancement of coherent emission by energy-phase correlation in a bunched electron beam," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 80, No. 13, 2841-2844, March 30, 1998. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.80.2841
14. Pinhasi, Y. and Y. Lurie, "Generalized theory and simulation of spontaneous and super-radiant emissions in electronic devices and free-electron lasers," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 65, 026501-1-8, 2002.
15. Doria, A., R. Bartolini, J. Feinstein, G. P. Gallerano, and R. H. Pantell, "Coherent emission and gain from a bunched electron beam," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 29, 1428-1436, 1993. doi:10.1109/3.236158
16. Oka, S., H. Togo, N. Kukutsu, and T. Nagatsuma, "Latest trends in millimeter-wave imaging technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 197-204, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07120604
17. Ku, H. S.-L. and T. Yusaf, "Processing of composites using variable and fixed frequency microwave facilities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 185-205, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08011304
18. Mizuno, M., C. Otani, K. Kawase, Y. Kurihara, K. Shindo, Y. Ogawa, and H. Matsuki, "Monitoring the frozen state of freezing media by using millimetre waves," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 341-349, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701687
19. Talaat Ibrahim, A., "Using microwave energy to treat tumors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 1-27, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07092504
20. Tiwari, K. C., D. Singh, and M. K. Arora, "Development of a model for detection and estimation of depth of shallow buried non-metallic landmine at microwave X-band frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 225-250, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100201
21. Moradi, G., A. Ghorbani, M. Rahdan, and H. Khadem, "Analysis of output power delay in coaxial vircator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 1-12, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07122501
22. Topa, A. L., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Guidance and leakage behaviour of uniaxial ridge waveguides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 13, 1675-1684, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789566923
23. Dearden, G., "The industrial free electron laser,", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics, The University of Liverpool, U.K., 1993.
24. Oatley, C. W., "The tungsten filament gun in the scanning electron microscope," Journal of Physics E: Scientific Instruments, Vol. 8, 1037-1041, 1975. doi:10.1088/0022-3735/8/12/018
25. Arbel, M., A. Abramovich, A. L. Eichenbaum, A. Gover, H. Kleinman, Y. Pinhasi, and I. M. Yakover, "Superradiant and stimulated superradiant emission in a prebunched beam free-electron laser," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 86, 2561-2564, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.86.2561
26. Wright, C. C., "Development of a free electron maser for industrial applications,", Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics, The University of Liverpool, U.K., 2000.
27. Schiler, S., U. Heisig, and S. Panzer, Electron Beam Technology, Series 1, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1982.
28. Someda, C. G., Electromagnetic Waves, Series 1, CRC Press, 1998.