The problem of determining the eigenmodes of a rectangular waveguide with one hard wall formed by longitudinal corrugations with grooves filled with dielectric is considered. The characteristic equation is derived by using the asymptotic boundary conditions for corrugated surfaces. It is shown analytically that if the groove depth is equal to the value 0.25λ/(ε-1)1/2 corresponding to the hard wall condition, the TE eigenmode spectrum of the waveguide contains an infinite set of new non-uniform quasi-TEM modes with different transverse propagation constants in the empty part and identical longitudinal propagation constants equal to the wavenumber k. Analytical solution for the case of excitation of the waveguide by a specified source is given, and an example of forming local quasi-TEM waves is considered and discussed.
Sergei P. Skobelev,
"A New Type of the Quasi-TEM Eigenmodes in a Rectangular Waveguide with One Corrugated Hard Wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 102, 143-157, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122305
1. Kildal, P.-S., "Definition of artificially soft and hard surfaces for electromagnetic waves," Electron. Lett., Vol. 24, 168-170, 1988. doi:10.1049/el:19880112
2. Kildal, P.-S., "Artificially soft and hard surfaces in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 38, 1537-1544, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.59765
3. Lier, E. and P.-S. Kildal, "Soft and hard horn antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 36, 1152-1157, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.7229
4. Lier, E., "Analysis of soft and hard strip-loaded horns using a circular cylindrical model ," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 38, 783-793, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.55573
5. Skobelev, S. P. and P.-S. Kildal, "Analysis of conical quasi-TEM horn with a hard corrugated section," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 51, 2723-2731, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817564
6. Skobelev, S. P. and P.-S. Kildal, "Mode-matching modeling of a hard conical quasi-TEM horn realized by an EBG structure with strips and vias ," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, 139-143, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840417
7. Skobelev, S. P., "An approach to the design of a two-frequency hard horn," Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 50, 1272-1276, 2005.
8. Skobelev, S. P. and P.-S. Kildal, "Modal solutions in dual-depth longitudinally corrugated hard waveguide," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, 827-831, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20060051
9. Kildal, P.-S., "Bandwidth of a square hard ," hornIEE Proc. H, Vol. 135, 275-278, 1988.
10. Skobelev, S. P. and P.-S. Kildal, "Characteristics of arrays of stepped horns with dielectric-loaded walls in one plane," Journal of Communications Technology and Electronics, Vol. 45, 964-969, 2000.
11. Epp, L. W., D. J. Hoppe, and D. T. Kelley, "A TE/TM modal solution for rectangular hard waveguides," IEEE Trans. Miscrowave Theory Techniques, Vol. 54, 1048-1054, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.864135
12. Sipus, Z., H. Merkel, and P.-S. Kildal, "Green's functions for planar soft and hard surfaces derived by asymptotic boundary conditions," IEE Proc. H, Vol. 144, 321-328, 1997.
13. Kildal, P.-S. and A. Kishk, "EM Modeling of surfaces with STOP or GO characteristics --- artificial magnetic conductors and soft and hard surfaces," ACES Journal, Vol. 18, 32-40, 2003.
14. Hirokawa, J. and M. Ando, "Efficiency of 76-GHz post-wall waveguide-fed parallel-plate slot arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 48, 1742-1745, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.900232
15. Sierra-Castaner, M., M. Vera-Isasa, M.Sierra-Perez, and J. L. Fernandez-Jambrina, "Double-beam parallel-plate slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, 977-984, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842607
16. Ettorre, M., A. Neto, G. Gerini, and S. Maci, "Leaky-wave slot array antenna fed by a dual reflector system," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 56, 3143-3149, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929457
17. Alfonso, E., A. Valero-Nogueira, J. I. Herranz, and D. Sanchez, "Oversized waveguides for TEM propagation using hard surfaces," Proc. of 2006 IEEE AP-S Symposium, 1193-1196, July 9-14, 2006.
18. Alfonso, E., A. Valero-Nogueira, J. I. Herranz, and V.-M. Rodrigo-Penarrocha, "Slot array fed by an oversized TEM waveguide," Proc. of the 1st European Conference on Antennas and Propagation: EuCAP 2006 , Nice, France, November 6-10, 2006.
19. Valero-Nogueira, A., E. Alfonso, J. I. Herranz, and M. Baquero, "Planar slot-array antenna fed by an oversized quasi-TEM waveguide ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, 1875-1877, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22586
20. Alfonso, E., P.-S. Kildal, A. Valero, and J. I. Herranz, "Study of local quasi-TEM waves in oversized waveguides with one hard wall for killing higher order global modes ," Proc of 2008. IEEE AP-S Symposium, San Diego, CA, July 2008.
21. Kildal, P.-S., E. Alfonso, A. Valero-Nogueira, and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Local metamaterial-based waveguides in gaps between parallel metal plates," Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 84-87, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2011147
22. Skobelev, S. P. and P.-S. Kildal, "Analysis of global eigenmodes in an oversized rectangular waveguide with a hard surface on one broad wall for planar slot array antenna applications ," Proc. of the 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation: EuCAP 2009, Berlin, Germany, March 23-7, 2009.