In this paper, the problem of designing linear antenna arrays for specific radiation properties is dealt with. The design problem is modeled as a single optimization problem. The objectives of this work are to minimize the maximum side lobe level (SLL) and perform null steering for isotropic linear antenna arrays by controlling different parameters of the array elements (position, amplitude, and phase). The optimization is performed using two techniques: Taguchi's optimization method and the self-adaptive differential evolution (SADE) technique. The advantage of Taguchi's optimization technique is the ability of solving problems with a high degree of complexity using a small number of experiments in the optimization process. Taguchi's method is easy to implement and converges to the desired goal quickly in comparison with gradient-based methods and particle swarm optimization (PSO). Results obtained using Taguchi's method are in very good agreement with those obtained using the SADE technique.
Nihad I. Dib,
Sotirios K. Goudos,
"Application of Taguchi's Optimization Method and Self-Adaptive Differential Evolution to the Synthesis of Linear Antenna Arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122306
1. Oliveri, G. and L. Poli, "Synthesis of monopulse sub-arrayed linear and planar array antennas with optimized sidelobes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 109-129, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092510
2. Perez Lopez, J. R. and J. Basterrechea, "Hybrid particle swarm-based algorithms and their application to linear array synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 63-74, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08122212
3. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, and Y. Q. Hei, "An improved particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of phased arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 319-332, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08030904
4. Guney, K. and S. Basbug, "Interference suppression of linear antenna arrays by amplitude-only control using a bacterial foraging algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 475-497, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110705
5. Mahanti, G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase only synthesis of dual-beam pattern linear antenna arrays using °oating-point genetic algorithms ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06072301
6. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, John Wiley and Sons, 1999.
8. Ciuprina, G., D. Ioan, and I. Munteanu, "Use of intelligent-particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 38, 1037-1040, 2002. doi:10.1109/20.996266
9. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 397-407, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823969
10. Feoktistov, V., Differential Evolution, in Search of Solutions, Springer Science, 2006.
11. Dorigo, M., M. Birattari, and T. StÄutzle, "Ant colony optimization," IEEE Comp. Intelligent Magazine, Vol. 1, 28-39, 2006.
12. Formato, R. A., "Central force optimization: A new metaheuristic with applications in applied electromagnetics ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 425-491, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07082403
13. Formato, R. A., "Central force optimization: A new nature inspired computational framework for multidimensional search and optimization ," Studies in Computational Intelligence (SCI), Vol. 129, 221-238, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2008. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-78987-1_21
14. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Differential evolution --- A simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces," Journal of Global Optimization, Vol. 11, No. 4, 341-359, Dec. 1997. doi:10.1023/A:1008202821328
15. Kurup, D. G., M. Himdi, and A. Rydberg, "Synthesis of uniform amplitude unequally spaced antenna arrays using the differential evolution algorithm," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2210-2217, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816361
16. Panduro, M. A. and C. del Rio Bocio, "Design of beam-forming networks for scannable multi-beam antenna arrays using corps," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 173-188, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08070403
17. Brest, J., S. Greiner, B. Boskovic, M. Mernik, and V. Zumer, "Self-adapting control parameters in differential evolution: A comparative study on numerical benchmark problems," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 10, No. 6, 646-657, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2006.872133
18. Goudos, S. K., "Design of microwave broadband absorbers using a self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm ," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 3, 364-372, 2009. doi:10.1002/mmce.20357
19. Taguchi, G., S. Chowdhury, and Y. Wu, Taguchi's Quality Engineering Handbook, John Wiley and Sons Inc., NJ, 2005.
20. Weng, W. C., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbini, Electromagnetics and Antenna Optimization Using Taguchi's Method, Morgan & Claypool, San Rafael, CA, 2007.
21. Weng, W., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "Linear antenna array synthesis using Taguchi's method: A novel optimization technique in electromagnetics ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 723-730, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891548
22. Weng, W. C. and C. Choi, "Optimal design of CPW slot antennas using Taguchi's method," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1542-1545, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012737
23. Vesterstrom, J. and R. Thomsen, "A comparative study of differential evolution, particle swarm optimization, and evolutionary algorithms on numerical benchmark problems," Proceedings of Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 1980-1987, Portland, USA, 2004.
24. Isernia, T. and G. Panariello, "Optimal focusing of scalar fields subject to arbitrary upper bounds," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, 162-164, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980212
25. Isernia, T., P. D. Iorio, and F. Soldovieri, "An effective approach for the optimal focusing of array fields subject to arbitrary upper bounds," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, 1837-1847, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.901272
26. Bucci, O. M., L. Caccavale, and T. Isernia, "Optimal far-field focusing of uniformly spaced arrays subject to arbitrary upper bounds in nontarget directions ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 1539-1554, 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.803959
27. Isernia, T., F. J. Ares Pena, O. M. Bucci, M. D'Urso, J. F. Gomez, and J. A. Rodriguez, "A hybrid approach for the optimal synthesis of pencil beams through array antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 2912-2918, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835130
28. Lanza Diego, M., J. R. Perez Lopez, and J. Basterrechea, "Synthesis of planar arrays using a modified particle swarm optimization algorithm by introducing a selection operator and elitism," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 93, 145-160, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09041303
29. Al-Aqil, M., Synthesis of antenna arrays using the particle swarm optimization method , Master Thesis, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Jan. 2009.
30. Lee, K.-C. and J.-Y. Jhang, "Application of electromagnetism-like algorithm to phase-only synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 279-291, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08060402