We introduce and investigate the applications of double zero (DZR) metamaterials (having the real parts of permittivity and permeability equal to zero) as radar absorbing materials (RAMs). We consider a perfectly electric conductor (PEC) plate covered by several layers of DZR metamaterial coatings under an oblique plane wave incidence of arbitrary polarization. Several analytical formulas are derived for the realization of zero reflection from such structures. The angle of reflection in the DZR metamaterials becomes complex, which leads to the dissociation of the constant amplitude and equiphase planes. Then several examples of the applications of DZR metamaterials (in nondispersive and dispersive conditions) as RAMs and zero reflection coatings are provided. The characteristics and parameters of the DZR metamaterial media are determined in each case. The method of least squares is used to optimize the DZR coatings for the minimization of reflected power, which uses the combination of genetic algorithm and conjugate gradient method (GA-CG) to benefit from their advantages and avert their short comings.
"Application of Double Zero Metamaterials as Radar Absorbing Materials for the Reduction of Radar Cross Section," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 101, 323-337, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10010603
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Marques, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters Theory, Design, and Microwave Applications, Wiley, 2008.
3. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials, Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, IEEE Press, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
4. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
5. Marques, R., F. Mesa, J. Martel, and F. Medina, "Comparative analysis of edge and broadside coupled split ring resonators for metamaterial design, theory and experiments," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2572-2581, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817562
6. Silveirinha, M., P. A. Belov, and C. R. Simovski, "Ultimate limit of resolution of subwavelength imaging devices formed by metallic rods," Opt. Lett., Vol. 33, 1726-1728, 2008. doi:10.1109/MMW.2004.1337766
7. Lai, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, 2004. doi:10.1163/156939306779322585
8. Chen, H., B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845188
9. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A positive future for double negative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1535-1556, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939309789932421
10. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Some aspects of radio wave propagation in double zero metamaterials having the real parts of epsilon and mu equal to zero," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1957-1968, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788355289
11. Zhou, H., Z. Pei, S. Qu, S. Zhang, J. Wang, Q. Li, and Z. Xu, "A planar zero-index metamaterial fordirective emission," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 953-962, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER01082101
12. Kong, J. A., "Electromagnetic wave interaction with stratified negative isotropic media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 1-52, 2002.
13. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Analytical determination of zero reflection conditions for oblique incidence on multilayer planar structures," Proc. IEEE MMS Mediterranean. Microwave Symposium, 196-199, Damascus, Syria, 2008. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0281
14. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Mathematical formulation for zero reflection from multilayer metamaterial structures an their notable applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation Journal, Vol. 3, No. 6, 987-996, 2009.
15. Kong, J. A., Theory of Electromagnetic Waves, EMW Pub., New York, 2005.
16. Ishimaru, A., Electromagnetic Wave Propagation, Radiation, and Scattering, Nglewood Cliffs, Prentice Hall, 1991. doi:10.1002/mop.20005
17. Cory, H. and C. Zach, "Wave propagation in metamaterial multilayered structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 6, 460-465, 2004. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.64.056625
18. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 64, No. 5, 056625, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER07090305
19. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Ultra wide band RCS optimization of multilayerd cylinderical structures for arbitrarily polarized incident plane waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 129-157, 2008. doi:10.1364/OE.17.008513
20. Sounas, D. L. and N. V. Kantartzis, "Systematic surface waves analysis at the interfaces of composite DNG/SNG media," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, No. 10, 8513-8524, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817553
21. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a Mu-negative slab: Resonance, tunneling and transparency," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2558-2571, 2003.
22. Vinoy, K. J. and R. M. Jha, Radar Absorbing Materials: From Theory to Design and Characterization, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, Massachusetts, 1996. doi:10.1006/jcph.1994.1159
23. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagneticwaves," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 114, 185-200, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.564092
24. Ziolokowski, R. W., "The design of Maxwellian absorbers for numerical boundary conditions and for practical applications using engineered artificial materials," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 4, 656-671, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.238519
25. Michielssen, E., J. M. Sajer, S. Ranjithan, and R. Mittra, "Design of lightweight, broad-band microwave absorbers using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 67, 1024-1031, 1993. doi:10.2528/PIERB07120803
26. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Combination of MLS, GA & CG for the reduction of RCS of multilayered cylindrical structures composed of dispersive metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 3, 227-253, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER06120801
27. Xu, Z., W. Lin, and L. Kong, "Controllable absorbing of metamaterial at microwave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 117-125, 2007. doi:10.1109/8.899676
28. Mosallaei, H. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "RCS reduction of canonical targets using genetic algorithm synthesized RAM," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 10, 1594-1606, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIERC08021906
29. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Design and optimization of planar multilayer antireflection metamaterial coatings at Ku band under circularly polarized oblique plane wave incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 1-18, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.69.2772
31. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructure," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, No. 25, 4773-4776, 1996. doi:10.1163/156939307783134452
32. Manzanares-Martinez, J. and J. Gaspar-Armenta, "Direct integration of the constitutive relations for modeling dispersive metamaterials using the finite difference time-domain technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2297-2310, 2007. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/10/22/007
33. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Low-frequency plasmons in thin wire structures," Phys. Condens. Matter, Vol. 10, 4785-4809, 1998. doi:10.2528/PIER09031306
34. Sabah, C. and S. Uckun, "Multilayer system of Lorentz/Drude type metamaterials with dielectric slabs and its application to electromagnetic filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 349-364, 2009.
35. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley, New York, 1999. doi:10.1109/MAP.2006.1645560
36. Oraizi, H., "Application of the method of least squaresto electromagnetic engineering problems," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 48, No. 1, 50-75, 2006.