Partial dischagre is the precursor of insulators breakdown. In this work the propagation of electromagnetic radiation emitted from partial discharge in high voltage insulating materials is investigated. Three common dielectric materials used in power industry: polymer, epoxy resin and ceramics are studied. The results obtained are envisaged to support the development of appropriate sensors for partial discharge detection. The radiation pattern is dependent on a multitude of parameters. Among these, the intensity distribution of the source as well as the dielectric material and its geometry are the main parameters. Significant differences in the radiation spectra are obtained for insulators made of ceramic material compare to non-ceramic insulators.
1. Kreuger, F. H., Partial Discharge Detection in High Voltage Equipment, Butterworths, London, 1989.
2. Gutfleisch, F. and L. Niemeyer, "Measurement and simulation of pd in epoxy voids," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 2, No. 5, 729-743, 1995. doi:10.1109/94.469970
3. Ficker, T., "Electron avalanches I --- Statistics of partial microdischarges in their pre-streamer stage," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 689-699, 2003. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2003.1219654
4. Ficker, T., "Electron avalanches II --- Fractal morphology of partial microdischarge spots on dielectric barriers," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 10, No. 4, 700-707, 2003. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2003.1219655
5. Kawada, M., A. Tungkanawanich, Z. Kawasaki, and K. Matsuura, "Detection of wide-band E-M signals emitted from partial discharge occurring in GIS using wavelet transform," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 15, No. 2, 467-471, 2000. doi:10.1109/61.852970
6. Wong, K. L., "Application of very-high-frequency (VHF) method to ceramic insulators," IEEE Transactions on Dielectrics and Electrical Insulation, Vol. 11, No. 6, 1057-1064, 2004. doi:10.1109/TDEI.2004.1387829
7. Oughstun, K. E. and G. C. Sherman, Electromagnetic Pulse Propagation in Causal Dielectrics, Springer, Berlin, 2002.
8. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, Artech House, Boston, 2000.
9. Tian, Y., M. Kawada, and K. Isaka, "Locating partial discharge source occurring on distribution line by using FDTD and TDOA methods," IEEJ Transactions on Fundamentals and Materials, Vol. 129, 89-96, 2009. doi:10.1541/ieejfms.129.89
10. Bojovschi, A., W. S. T. Rowe, and K. L. Wong, "Radiation spectra of partial discharge in dielectrics," IEEE Proceedings of the Australian Universities Power Engineering Conference, 1-6, 2009.
11. Wong, K. L., "WO 2007/070942 A1, assignee. Method and apparatus for detecting an event, International Patent patent WO 2007/070942 A1,", 2007. doi:10.1109/AUPEC.2007.4548085
12. Bojovschi, A., W. S. T. Rowe, and K. L. Wong, "Dynamcis of partial discharge in dielectrics: A computational approach," Proceedings of the 16th International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, 430-435, 2009.
13. Judd, M. D., L. Yang, and I. B. B. Hunter, "Partial discharge monitoring for power transformers using UHF sensors Part 1: Sensors and signal interpretation," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, Vol. 21, No. 2, 5-14, 2005. doi:10.1109/MEI.2005.1412214
14. Oussalah, N., Y. Zebboudj, and S. A. Boggs, "Partial discharge pulse propagation in shielded power cable and implications for detection sensitivity," IEEE Electrical Insulation Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 6, 5-10, 2007. doi:10.1109/MEI.2007.4389974
15. Cheldavi, A. and P. Nayeri, "Analysis of V transmission lines response to external electromagnetic fields," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 297-315, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06093003
16. Farjadpour, A., D. Roundy, A. Rodriguez, M. Ibanescu, P. Bermel, J. D. Joannopoulos, S. G. Johnsonm, and G. W. Burr, "Improving accuracy by subpixel smoothing in the finite-difference time domain," Optics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 20, 2972-2974, 2006. doi:10.1364/OL.31.002972
17. Yee, K. E., "Numerical solution of initial boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 17, 585-589, 1996.
18. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic-waves," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 114, No. 2, 185-200, 1994. doi:10.1006/jcph.1994.1159
19. Fernando, S., A. Bojovschi, W. S. T. Rowe, and K. L. Wong, "Detection of GHz frequency components of partial discharge in various media," Proceedings of the 16th International Symposium on High Voltage Engineering, 687-692, 2009.
20. Baldock, G. R. and T. Bridgeman, Mathematical Theory of Wave Motion, Halsted Press, Chichester, 1981.