A disk-loaded monopolee array antenna with coplanar waveguide (CPW) feeding systems that has the capability of beam switching has been successfully demonstrated. The antenna utilises the advantages of CPW and the transmission line of input impedance equation and is integrated with RF/Microwave devices to enable beam switching in the elevated and azimuthal planes. The measured gain of the antenna in the direction of the open-circuited parasite element is in the range of 5.10 to 5.60 dBi. It has good input return loss at 2.45 GHz and produces useful gain in the direction of the open circuited element. The E- and H-plane patterns show that the beam can be steered by pin diodes switching.
Muhammad Ramlee Kamarudin,
Peter S. Hall,
"Electronically Switched Beam Disk-Loaded Monopole Array Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 101, 339-347, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10010808
1. Ares-Pena, F. J., G. Franceschetti, and J. A. Rodriguez, "A simple alternative for beam reconfiguration of array antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 227-240, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08110303
2. Mitilineos, S. A., S. A. Papagianni, C. A. Verikaki, and C. N. Capsalis, "Design of switched beam planar arrays using the method of genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 46, 105-126, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03080802
3. Sotirio, A. I., P. K. Varlamos, P. T. Trakadas, and C. N. Capsalis, "Performance of a six-beam switched parasitic planar array under one path rayleigh fading environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 89-106, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06020204
4. Varlamos, P. K. and C. N. Capsalis, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic smart antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 101-119, 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER01100302
5. Kamarudin, M. R. and P. S. Hall, "Switched beam array antenna with parasitic element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 187-201, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09011603
6. Schlub, R. and D. V. Thiel, "Switched parasitic antenna on a finite ground plane with conductive sleeve," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1343-1347, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.827504
7. Kawakami, H. and T. Ohira, "Electrically steerable passive array radiator (ESPAR) antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 2, 43-49, April 2005. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1487777
8. Kamarudin, M. R., P. S. Hall, F. Colombel, and M. Himdi, "CPW-Fed switchable top disk-loaded monopole array antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1631-1638, 2009.
9. Jaw, J.-L., F.-S. Chen, and D.-S. Chen, "Compact dualband CPW-fed slotted patch antenna for 2.4/5 GHz wlan operation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1947-1955, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932584
10. Chen, J., G. Fu, G.-D. Wu, and S.-X. Gong, "Compact graded central feeder line CPW-fed broadband," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 2089-2097, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932467
11. Jiao, J.-J., G. Zhao, F.-S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-fed T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07070904
12. Soltani, S., M. N. Azarmanesh, and P. Lofti, "Design of band notched CPW-fed monopole antenna using two symmetric parasitic elements for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1407-1416, 2009.