Efficient embedded antennas are needed for future wireless structural health monitoring. The input return loss and transmission losses of a dipole, a planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA), a microstrip patch, and a loop antenna are studied at around 2.45 GHz when these antennas are embedded inside a concrete cylinder. Antenna performance is investigated in free-space, in air dried concrete and in saturated concrete with and without the presence of steel reinforcements. It is observed that the maximum transmission loss for a distance of 250 mm between antennas is around 50 dB which is acceptable for inside the bridge wireless communication between sensors.
"Embedded Antennas in Dry and Saturated Concrete for Application in Wireless Sensors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 102, 197-211, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011908
1. Moore, M., D. Rolander, B. Graybeal, B. Phares, and G. Washer, "Highway bridge inspection: State of the practice survey," Federal Highway Administration, Mc Lean, VA FHWA-RD-01-033, Apr. 2001.
2. Maierhofer, C., "Nondestructive evaluation of concrete infrastructure with ground penetrating radar," Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 15, No. 3, 287-297, May-Jun. 003. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0899-1561(2003)15:3(287)
4. Schulz, W. L., J. P. Conte, and E. Udd, "Long gauge fiber optic bragggrating strain sensors to monitor civil structures," SPIE, Vol. 4330, 56, 2001. http://www.bluerr.com/papers/BRR-2001 SPIE Vol4330 p56.pdf.
5. Nagayama, T., M. R. Sandoval, B. F. Spencer, Jr., K. A. Mechitov, and G. Agha, "Wireless strain sensor development for civil infrastructure,", http://osl.cs.uiuc.edu/docs/inss04nagayama/inss04nagayama.pdf.
6. Alleyne, D. N., B. Pavlakovic, M. J. S. Lowe, and P. Cawley, "Rapid long-range inspection of chemical plant pipework using guided waves ," Insight, Vol. 43, 93-96, 2001.
7. Cho, S., C.-B. Yun, J. P. Lynch, A. Zimmerman, B. Spencer, Jr., and T. Nagayama, "Smart wireless sensor technology for structural health monitoring of civil structures," International Journal of Steel Structures, Vol. 8, No. 4, 267-275, KSSC, 2008.
8. Loh, K., J. P. Lynch, and N. A. Kotov, "Passive wireless sensing using SWNT-based multifunctional thin film patches," International Journal for Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 28, No. 1-2, 87-94, IOS Press, 2009.
9. Bernhard, J. T., K. Hietpas, E. George, D. Kuchma, and H. Reis, "An interdisciplinary effort to develop a wireless embedded sensor system to monitor and assess corrosion in the tendons of prestressed concrete girders ," IEEE 2003 Topical Conference on Antennas for Wireless Communication, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2003.
10. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and A. M. Miah, "Characteristics of an embedded microstrip patch antenna for wireless infrastructure health monitoring ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium Digest, Albuquerque, NM, Jul. 2006.
11. Shams, K. M. Z., A. M. Miah, and M. Ali, "Gain and transmission properties of an embedded microstrip patch antenna for structural health monitoring application ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Honolulu, Hawaii, Jun. 2007.
12. Shams, K. M. Z., Novel Embedded Antennas and Engineered Materials for Wireless Communications and Sensing, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of South Carolina, Sep. 2007.
13. Shams, K. M. Z. and M. Ali, "Wireless power transmission to a buried sensor in concrete," IEEE Sensors Journal, 1573-1577, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2007.908230
14. Shaaria, A., S. G. Millardb, and J. H. Bungeyb, "Modelling the propagation of a radar signal through concrete as a low-pass filter," NDT & E International, Vol. 37, 237-242, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.ndteint.2003.09.009
15. Soutsos, M. N., J. H. Bungey, S. G. Millard, M. R. Shaw, and A. Patterson, "Dielectric properties of concrete and their influence on radar testing," NDT & E International, Vol. 34, 419-425, 2001. doi:10.1016/S0963-8695(01)00009-3
16. Tsui, F. and S. L. Matthews, "Analytical modeling of the dielectric properties of concrete for subsurface radar applications," Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 11, No. 3, 149-161, 1997. doi:10.1016/S0950-0618(97)00033-0
17. Maierhofer, C. and J. Wostmann, "Investigation of dielectric properties of brick materials as a function of moisture and salt content using a microwave impulse technique at very high frequencies," NDT & E International, Vol. 31, No. 4, 259-263, 1998. doi:10.1016/S0963-8695(98)00011-5
18. Buyukozturk, O., "Electromagnetic properties of concrete and their significance in nondestructive testing," Transportation Research Record No. 1574, Advances in Concrete and Concrete Pavement Construction, 10-17, 1997.
19. Robert, A., "Dielectric permittivity of concrete between 50 MHz and 1 GHz and GPR measurements for building materials evaluation ," Journal of Applied Geophysics, Vol. 40, 89-94, 1998. doi:10.1016/S0926-9851(98)00009-3
20. Courtney, C., W. Motil, T. Bowen, and S. Blocher, "Measurement note 48: Measurement methods and the characterization of the electromagnetic properties of materials,", Dec. 1996. http://www.ece.unm.edu/summa/notes/Measure/0048.pdf.
21. Sandrolini, L., U. Reggiani, and A. Ogunsola, "Modelling the electrical properties of concrete for shielding effectiveness prediction ," Journal Physics. D: Applied. Physics, Vol. 40, 5366-5372, 2007. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/40/17/053
22. Bourdi, T., J. E. Rhazi, F. Boone, and G. Ballivy, "Application of Jonscher model for the characterization of the dielectric permittivity of concrete," IOP Publishing Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 41, No. 20, 1-9, Oct. 21, 2008.
23. Laurens, S., M. E. Barrak, J. P. Balayssac, and J. Rhazi, "Aptitude of the near-field direct wave of ground-coupled radar antennas for the characterization of the concrete," Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 21, 2072-2077, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.05.058
24. Sbarti, Z. M., "Effect of concrete moisture on radar signal amplitude," ACI Materials Journal, ACI Materials Journal, Nov. Dec. 2006. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi qa5360/is 200611/ai n21404598/print?tag=artBody;col1.
25. Farr, E. G. and C. A. Frost, "Measurement notes, note 52: Impulse propagation measurements of the dielectric properties of water, dry sand, moist sand, and concrete ,", May 1997. http://www.farr-research.com/Papers/mn52.pdf.
26. Sbartai, Z. M., S. Laurens, J.-P. Balayssac, G. Arliguie, and G. Ballivy, "Ability of the direct wave of radar ground-coupled antenna for NDT of concrete structures ," NDT & E International, Vol. 39, 400-407, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ndteint.2005.11.003