Wide-band hybrid amplifier is theoretically proposed using a series configuration of Thulium-doped fiber amplifier (TDFA) and fiber Raman amplifier (FRA), which using the similar type of pump laser. The operating wavelength of this amplifier covers the bandwidth of entire short wavelength band (S-band) region by combining the gain spectrum of TDFA and FRA. The theoretical gain varies from 20 to 24 dB within a wavelength region from 1460 to 1525 nm and which is in a good agreement with the experimental result. The development of reliable high-power diode lasers in the 1420 nm wavelength range will make this type of wide-band hybrid amplifier an interesting candidate for S-band optical telecommunication systems.
1. Shahi, S., S. W. Harun, K. Dimyati, and H. Ahmad, "Brillouin fiber laser with significantly reduced gain medium length operating in L-band region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 8, 143-149, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09032501
2. Banerjee, A., "New approach to design digitally tunable optical filter system for wavelength selective switching based optical networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 93-100, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09050303
3. Prokopovich, D. V., A. V. Popov, and A. V. Vinogradov, "Analytical and numerical aspects of Bragg fiber design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 361-379, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031221
4. Mokari, H. and P. Derakhshan-Barjoei, "Numerical analysis of homojunction gallium arsenide avalanche photodiodes (GAAS-APDS)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 159-172, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08032702
5. Moghimi, M. J., H. Ghafoori-Fard, and A. Rostami, "Analysis and design of all-optical switching in apodized and chirped Bragg gratings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 87-102, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08041303
6. Makoui, S., M. Savadi-Oskouei, A. Rostami, and Z. D. Koozehkanani, "Dispersion flattened optical fiber design for large bandwidth and high-speed optical communications using optimization technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 21-40, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08110202
7. El Mashade, M. B. and M. N. Abdel Aleem, "Analysis of ultra-short pulse propagation in nonlinear optical fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 219-241, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08121603
8. Rostami, A. and A. Salmanogli, "Investigation of light amplification in Si-nanocrystal-Er doped optical fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 27-51, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08061303
9. Ahmad, H., X. S. Cheng, M. R. Tamjis, and S. W. Harun, "Effects of pumping scheme and double-propagation on the performance of ASE source using dual-stage Bismuth-based Erbium-doped fiber," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2--3, 373-381, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735660
10. Carena, A., V. Curri, and P. Poggiolini, "Comparison between different configurations of hybrid Raman/Erbium-doped fiber amplifiers," Proc. Optical Fiber Conference OFC2001, Vol. 2, TuA3-1-TuA3-3, 2001.
11. Luthi, S. R., G. F. Guimaraes, J. Freitas, and A. Gomes, "TDFA-FOPA hybrid for S-band amplification and S-to-C, S-to-L band wavelength conversion," Proc. Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference, 1-2, 2006.
12. Emami, S. D., S. W. Harun, F. Abd-Rahman, H. A. Abdul-Rashid, S. A. Daud, and H. Ahmad, "Optimization of the 1050nm pump power and fiber length in single-pass and double-pass thulium doped fiber amplifier," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 431-448, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09022503
13. Ahmad, H., S. F. Norizan, A. Hamzah, and S. W. Harun, "Double-pass Raman amplifier for gain enhancement and gain clamping," Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials --- Rapid Communication, Vol. 3, No. 9, 924-926, 2009.
14. Kani, J. and M. Jinno, "Wideband and flat-gain optical amplification from 1460 to 1510nm by serial combination of a thulium-doped fluoride fibre amplifier and fibre Raman amplifier," Electronics Lett., Vol. 35, No. 12, 1004-1006, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19990708
15. Yam, S. S. H. and J. Kim, "Ground state absorption in thulium-doped fiber amplifier: Experiment and modeling," IEEE J. Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 4, 797-803, 2006. doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2006.876588
16. Peterka, P., B. Faure, W. Blance, and M. Karasek, "Theoretical modeling of S-band thulium doped silica fiber amplifiers," Optical and Quantum Electron., Vol. 36, 201-212, 2004. doi:10.1023/B:OQEL.0000015640.82309.7d
17. Headley, G. and P. Agrawal, Raman Amplification in Fibre Optical Communication Systems, Elsevier Inc., 2005.
18. Islam, M. N., Raman Amplifiers for Telecommunications 1: Physical Principles, Springer, December 2003.
19. Islam, M. N., "Raman Amplifiers for Telecommunications 2: Sub-Systems and Systems," Springer, December 2003.
20. Yam, S. S. H., J. Kim, M. E. Marhic, Y. Akasaka, and L. G. Kazovsky, "Gain dynamics of 14xx-nm-pumped thulium-doped fiber amplifier," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 16, No. 7, 1646-1648, 2004. doi:10.1109/LPT.2004.829532
21. Desurvire, E., Erbium-doped Fiber Amplifiers: Principles and Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1994.
22. Kasamatsu, T., Y. Yano, and T. Ono, "1.49 μm band gain-shifted thulium doped fiber amplifier for WDM transmission system," Journal of Lightwave Technol., Vol. 20, No. 10, 1826, 1998. doi:10.1109/JLT.2002.804038