Up to now, the terahertz (THz) band is still an unexplored region in the sense that no practical application exists. New operating principles by traveling wave concept should be, therefore, appreciated for the real applications. In this paper, the generalized three-dimensional (3D) transverse magnetic (TM) mode analysis to analyze the characteristics of two-dimensional electron gas (2DEG) drifting plasma at the III-V high-electron-mobility-transistor (HEMT) hetero-interface such as AlGaAs/GaAs hetero-interface and its interaction with propagating electromagnetic space harmonic wave is presented. It includes, (1) the determination of electromagnetic fields in semiconductor drifting plasma using the combination of well-known Maxwell's equations and carrier kinetic equation based on semiconductor fluid model and the derivation of the effective permittivity of drifting plasma in 2DEG on semi-insulating substrate, and (2) the analysis to describe the presence of interactions using a so-called interdigital-gated HEMT plasma wave devices. To describe the interaction, the admittance of the interdigital gate is evaluated. The numerical procedures to solve the integral equations which are used in determining the admittance is explained. A negative conductance is obtained when drifting carrier velocity is slightly exceed the fundamental wave velocity indicates the significant condition of the interaction. A brief analysis and discussion on the Dyakonov-Shur THz surface wave in 2DEG is also presented.
Abdul Manaf Hashim,
"Generalized 3D Transverse Magnetic Mode Method for Analysis of Interaction Between Drifting Plasma Waves in 2deg-Structured Semiconductors and Electromagnetic Space Harmonic Waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 102, 315-335, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10012612
1. Solymar, L. and E. Ash, "Some travelling-wave interactions in semiconductors theory and design considerations," Int. J. Electronics, Vol. 20, No. 2, 127-148, 1966. doi:10.1080/00207216608937858
2. Hines, M. E., "Theory of space-harmonic traveling-wave interactions in semiconductors," IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 16, 88-97, 1969. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1969.16568
3. Sumi, M., "Traveling-wave amplification by drifting carriers in semiconductors," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 6, 688-698, 1967. doi:10.1143/JJAP.6.688
4., The special issue on plasma wave interactions in semiconductors in the March 1970 issue of IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 17, 1970.
5. Yamashita, Y., A. Endoh, K. Shinohara, K. Hikasaka, T. Matsui, S. Hiyamizu, and T. Mimura, "Pseudomorphic In0.52Al0.48As/In0.7Ga0.3As HEMTs with an ultrahigh fT of," IEEE Electron. Device Lett., Vol. 23, No. 10, 573-575, 2002. doi:10.1109/LED.2002.802667
6. Amano, Y., M. Kosugi, K. Kosemura, T. Mimura, and M. Abe, "Short-channel effects in subquarter-micrometer-gate HEMTs: Simulation and experiment," IEEE Trans. Elctron. Devices, Vol. 36, No. 10, 2260-2266, 1989. doi:10.1109/16.40908
7. Sano, E., "Simulation of nanoscale InAlAs/InGaAs high electron mobility transistors based on drift-diffusion model incorporating an effective potential," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 42, No. 7A, 4261-4263, 2003. doi:10.1143/JJAP.42.4261
8. Dyakonov, M. and M. Shur, "Shallow water analogy for a ballistic field effect transistor. New mechanism of plasma wave generation by DC current," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 71, 2465-2468, 1993. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.71.2465
9. Otsuji, T., Y. Kanamaru, H. Kitamura, M. Matsuoka, and O. Ogawara, "Effect of heterostructure 2-D electron confinement on the tunability of resonant frequencies of terahertz plasma-wave transistors," IEICE Trans. Electron., 1985-1993, 2003.
10. Hashim, A. M.Plasma waves in semiconductors and their interactions with electromagnetic waves up to THz region, Ph.D. Thesis, Hokkaido University, Japan, 2006.
11. Hashim, A. M., S. Kasai, and H. Hasegawa, "Observation of third harmonics response in two-dimensional AlGaAs/GaAs HEMT devices due to plasma wave interaction," Superlattices and Microstruct, Vol. 44, 754-760, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.spmi.2008.08.003
12. Iizuka, K., A. M. Hashim, and H. Hasegawa, "Surface plasma wave interactions between semiconductor and electromagnetic space harmonics from microwave to THz range," Thin Solid Films, Vol. 464--465, 464-468, 2003.
13. Hashim, A. M., T. Hashizume, K. Iizuka, and H. Hasegawa, "Plasma wave interactions in the microwave to THz range between carriers in a semiconductor 2DEG and interdigital slow waves," Superlattices Microstruct, Vol. 34, 531-537, 2003. doi:10.1016/j.spmi.2004.03.054
14. Hashim, A. M., S. Kasai, T. Hashizume, and H. Hasegawa, "Integration of interdigital-gated plasma wave device for proximity communication system application," Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 38, 1263-126, 2007.
15. Hashim, A. M., S. Kasai, K. Iizuka, T. Hashizume, and H. Hasegawa, "Novel structure of GaAs-based interdigital-gated HEMT plasma devices for solid-state THz wave amplifier," Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 38, 1268-1272, 2007.
16. Seki, S. and H. Hasegawa, "Analysis of crosstalk in very high-speed LSI/VLSI's using a coupled multiconductor MIS microstrip line mode," IEEE Trans. MTT, Vol. 32, 1715-1720, 1984. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1984.1132920
17. Dyakonov, M. and M. S. Shur, "Detection, mixing, and frequency multiplication of terahertzradiation by two-dimensional electronic fluid," IEEE Trans. Electron. Devices, Vol. 43, 380-387, 1996. doi:10.1109/16.485650
18. Knap, W., Y. Deng, S. Rumyantsev, J. Q. Lu, M. S. Shur, C. A. Saylor, and L. C. Brunel, "Resonant detection of subTHz radiation by plasma waves in a submicron field-effect transistor," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 80, 3433-3435, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1473685
19. Hashim, A. M., S. Kasai, and H. Hasegawa, "Observation of third harmonics response in two-dimensional AlGaAs/GaAs HEMT devices due to plasma wave interaction," Superlattices and Microstructures, Vol. 44, 754-760, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.spmi.2008.08.003
20. Hasegawa, H., M. Furukawa, and H. Yanai, "Properties of microstrip line on Si-SiO2 system," IEEE Trans. Microwave and Theory Technique, Vol. 19, 869-881, 1971. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1971.1127658