An analysis is presented of a three-layer tapered core liquid crystal optical fiber (TLCF) having the outermost clad section made of radially anisotropic liquid crystal. TE mode propagation through TLCF is demonstrated with maximum distribution of power in the liquid crystal section under the situation that the TLCF core and the inner clad regions are constructed of homogeneous and isotropic dielectric materials. Such a propagation feature is attributed to the radial anisotropy of the liquid crystal outer region, and attracts useful applications of TLCFs in evanescent field optical sensing and other coupling devices primarily used in integrated optics.
1. Cheng, Q. and T.-J. Cui, "Guided modes and continuous modes in parallel-plate waveguides excited by a line source," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1577-1587, 2007.
2. Mei, Z.-L. and F.-Y. Xu, "A simple, fast and accurate method for calculating cutoff wavelengths for the dominant mode in elliptical waveguide," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 367-374, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367440
3. Kumar, D., P. K. Choudhury, and O. N. Singh II, "Towards the dispersion relations for dielectric optical fibers with helical windings under slow- and fast-wave considerations --- A comparative analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 409-420, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07120302
4. Wang, Z.-Y., X.-M. Cheng, X.-Q. He, S.-L. Fan, and W.-Z. Yan, "Photonic crystal narrow filters with negative refractive index structural defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 421-430, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121002
5. Safie, A. H. B. M. and P. K. Choudhury, "On the field patterns of helical clad dielectric optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 69-84, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09020208
6. Siong, C. C. and P. K. Choudhury, "Propagation characteristics of tapered core helical clad dielectric optical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 663-674, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019877
7. Abd-Rahman, F., P. K. Choudhury, D. Kumar, and Z. Yusoff, "An analytical investigation of four-layer dielectric optical fibers with Au nano-coating --- A comparison with three-layer optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 900, 269-286, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09010706
8. Sjoberg, D., "Determination of propagation constants and material data from waveguide measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 163-182, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08121304
9. Qi, L.-M. and Z. Yang, "Modified plane wave method analysis of dielectric plasma photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 319-322, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09022605
10. Watanabe, K. and K. Yasumoto, "Accuracy improvement of the Fourier series expansion method for floquet-mode analysis of photonic crystal waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 209-222, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032704
11. Lee, H.-S., "A photon modeling method for the characterization of indoor optical wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 121-136, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09030506
12. Rahman, M. M. and P. K. Choudhury, "Polarized photon generation for the transport of quantum states: A closed-system simulation approach ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 249-261, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERM09081603
13. Wu, S.-T. and U. Efron, "Optical properties of thin nematic liquid crystal cells," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 48, 624-636, 1986. doi:10.1063/1.96724
14. Green, M. and S. J. Madden, "Low loss nematic liquid crystal cored fiber waveguides," Appl. Opt., Vol. 28, 5202-5203, 1989. doi:10.1364/AO.28.005202
15. Veilleux, C., J. Lapierre, and J. Bures, "Liquid-crystal-clad tapered fibers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 11, 733-735, 1986. doi:10.1364/OL.11.000733
16. Lin, H., P. P. Muhoray, and M. A. Lee, "Liquid crystalline cores for optical fibers," Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., Vol. 204, 189-200, 1991. doi:10.1080/00268949108046605
17. Sage, I. and D. Chaplin, "Low RI liquid crystals for integrated optics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 23, 1192-1193, 1987. doi:10.1049/el:19870829
18. Kashyap, R., C. S. Winter, and B. K. Nayar, "Polarization desensitized liquid-crystal overlay optical-fiber modulator," Opt. Lett., Vol. 13, 401-403, 1988. doi:10.1364/OL.13.000401
19. Ioannidis, Z. K., I. P. Giles, and C. Bowry, "All-fiber optic intensity modulators using liquid crystals," Appl. Opt., Vol. 30, 328-333, 1991. doi:10.1364/AO.30.000328
20. Yoshino, T., Y. Takahashi, H. Tamura, and N. Ohde, "Some special ¯bers for distributed sensing of uv light, electric field or strain," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 2071, 242-254, 1993. doi:10.1117/12.165912
21. Goldburt, E. S. and P. S. J. Russell, "Electro-optical response of a liquid-crystalline fiber coupler," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 48, 10-12, 1986. doi:10.1063/1.96772
22. Chen, S.-H. and T.-J. Chen, "Observation of mode selection in a radially anisotropic cylindrical waveguide with liquid-crystal cladding," Appl. Phys. Lett.,, Vol. 64, 1893-1895, 1994. doi:10.1063/1.111760
23. Black, R., J. F. Gonthier, S. Lacroix, and J. D. Love, "Tapered ingle-mode fibres and devices: I. Adiabaticity criteria," IEE Proc. J., Vol. 138, 343-354, 1991.
24. Ono, K. and H. Osawa, "Excitation characteristics of fundamental mode in tapered slab waveguides with nonlinear cladding," Electron. Lett., Vol. 27, 664-666, 1991. doi:10.1049/el:19910416
25. Lim, M. H., S. C. Yeow, P. K. Choudhury, and D. Kumar, "Towards the dispersion characteristics of tapered core dielectric optical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1597-1609, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292417
26. Yeow, S. C., M. H. Lim, and P. K. Choudhury, "A rigorous analysis of the distribution of power in plastic clad linear tapered fibers," Optik, Vol. 117, 405-410, 2006.
27. Choudhury, P. K. and D. Kumar, "Towards dispersion relations for tapered core dielectric elliptical fibers," Optik, Vol. 118, 340-344, 2007.
28. Choudhury, P. K. and T. Yoshino, "On the propagation of power through liquid crystal clad optical fibers," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5560, 380-385, 2004.
29. Snyder, A. W. and F. Ruhl, "Single-mode, single-polarization fibers made of birefringent material," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 73, 1165-1174, 1983. doi:10.1364/JOSA.73.001165