In this paper, a novel dual-band active filter topology is presented. The non-linear phase response of a composite right/left-handed cell is used to achieve the desired dual-band performance. Additionally, the proposed structure based on coupled ring resonators yields a very compact solution in which high-order implementations can be easily obtained by cascading multiple rings. The theoretical principles of this type of filters are analyzed in detail. Finally, three prototypes based on first-, second- and third-order structures validate the feasibility of this type of filters. Good agreement between simulations and measurements has been achieved.
Luis Enrique Garcia-Munoz,
"Multiple Order Dual-Band Active Ring Filters with Composite Right/Left-Handed Cells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 104, 201-219, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10022311
1. Lai, A., T. Itoh, and C. Caloz, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, September 2004. doi:10.1109/MMW.2004.1337766
2. Jie, X., C. Luo, and X. Zhao, "A dual-frequency microstrip antenna based on an unbalanced composite right/left-handed transmission line," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 3, 767-771, January 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23195
3. Herraiz-Martinez, F. J., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency and dual-mode patch antennas partially filled with left-handed structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2527-2539, August 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.927518
4. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A dual-band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07082902
5. Hsiang, L. I., M. De Vicentis, C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Arbitrary dual-band components using composite right/lefthanded transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 8, 1142-1149, April 2004.
6. Lin, X. Q., R. P. Liu, X. M. Yang, J. X. Chen, X. X. Yin, Q. Cheng, and T. J. Cui, "Arbitrarily dual-band components using simplified structures of conventional CRLH TLs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2902-2909, July 2006.
7. Castro-Galan, D., L. E. Garcia-Mu˜noz, D. Segovia-Vargas, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Diversity monopulse antenna based on a dual-frequency and dual-mode CRLH rat-race coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 87-106, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09030603
8. Hayati, M. and M. Nosrati, "Loaded coupled transmission line approach of left-handed (LH) structures and realization of a highly compact dual-band branch-line coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 10, 75-86, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09041508
9. Dupuy, A. A., K. M. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Class-F power amplifier using a multi-frequency composite right/left-handed transmission line harmonic tuner," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., June 2005.
10. Jimenez-Martin, J. L., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class CE power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071609
11. Mata-Contreras, J., T. M. Martin-Guerrero, and C. Camacho-Penalosa, "Distributed amplifiers with composite left/righthanded transmission lines," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 3, 609-613, January 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21422
12. Garcia-Perez, O., A. Garcia-Lamperez, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, M. Salazar-Palma, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual-band recursive active filters with composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1180-1187, May 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017348
13. Chang, C.-Y. and T. Itoh, "Microwave active filters based on coupled negative resistance method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 12, 1879-1884, December 1990. doi:10.1109/22.64569
14. Lucyszyn, S. and I. D. Robertson, "Monolithic narrow-band filter using ultrahigh-Q tunable active inductors," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 12, 2617-2622, December 1994. doi:10.1109/22.339805
15. Rauscher, C., "Microwave active filters based on transversal and recursive principles ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 33, No. 12, 1350-1360, December 1985. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1985.1133225
16. Matsuo, M., H. Yabuki, and M. Makimoto, "Dual-mode steppedimpedance ring resonator for bandpass filter applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 7, 1235-1240, July 2001. doi:10.1109/22.932241
17. Hsie, L.-H. and K. Chang, "Dual-mode quasi-elliptic-function band-pass filters using resonators with enhanced-coupling tuning stubs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1340-1345, May 2002. doi:10.1109/22.999148
18. Mohd-Salleh, M. K., G. Prigent, O. Pigaglio, and R. Crampagne, "Quarter-wavelength side-coupled ring resonator for bandpass filters ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 156-162, January 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912167
19. Huang, T.-H., H.-J. Chen, C.-S. Chang, L.-S. Chen, Y.-H. Wang, and M.-P. Houng, "A novel compact ring dual-mode filter with adjustable second-passband for dual-band applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 6, 360-362, June 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.875607
20. Garcia-Lamperez, A. and M. Salazar-Palma, "Dual band filter with split-ring resonators," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 519-522, June 2006. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2006.249625
21. Chen, Z.-X., X.-W. Dai, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel dual-mode dualband bandpass filter using double square-loop structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 409-416, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07082803
22. Fan, J.-W., C.-H. Liang, and X.-W. Dal, "Design of cross-coupled dual-band filter with equal length split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 285-293, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07060904
23. Xue, W., C.-H. Liang, X.-W. Dai, and J.-W. Fan, "Design of miniature planar dual-band filter with 0 feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 493-499, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07090502
24. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Design of novel dual-band bandpass filter with microstrip meanderloop resonator and CSRR DGS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 17-24, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07090301
25. Luo, S. and L. Zhu, "A novel dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter based on a single ring resonator," IEEE Microw. Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 8, 497-499, August 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2024826
26. Nenert, L., D. Denis, L. Billonnet, B. Jarry, and P. Guillon, "Actively compensated planar ring resonator structures suitable for bandstop and bandpass filters ," IEEE Russia Conf. High. Power Microw. Electron.: Measur., Identific. and Applic., MIAME'99, 1137-1142, September 1999.
27. Billonnet, L., B. Jarry, and P. Guillon, "Stability diagnosis of microwave recursive structures using the NDF methodology," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 1419-1422, May 1995.
28. Ezzedine, H., L. Billonnet, B. Jarry, and P. Guillon, "Optimization of noise performance for various topologies of planar microwave active filters using noise wave techniques," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 12, 2484-2492, December 1998. doi:10.1109/22.739238