We propose a hybrid finite-difference frequency-domain method to study the perpendicular crossing waveguide, dielectric and microwave, TE and TM modes, by exploiting built-in structural symmetries in these waveguide devices. In the plus (+) symmetry model, the complete solution is obtained by solving two rectangular-shaped quarter structures each with two transparent boundaries and two symmetry boundaries. For the cross (x) symmetry model, solutions of four triangular-shaped quarter structures are needed but each with only one transparent boundary. Numerical results are verified by comparison between these two models and with the power conservation test. We show the total and the fundamental-mode, coupling coefficients of the reflected, cross and through power in the crossing waveguide as functions of the normalized frequency.
2. Pavesi, L. and G. Guillot, "Optical Interconnect," Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2006.
3. Beausoleil, R. G., P. J. Kuekes, G. S. Snider, S.-Y. Wang, and R. S. Williams, "Nanoelectronic and nanophotonic interconnect ," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 96, 230-247, 2008. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2007.911057
4. Daly, M. G., P. E. Jessop, and D. Yevick, "Crosstalk reduction in intersecting rib waveguide," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 14, 1695-1698, 1996. doi:10.1109/50.507946
5. Johnson, S. G., et al., "Elimination of cross talk in waveguide intersections," Optics Letters, Vol. 23, 1855-1857, 1998. doi:10.1364/OL.23.001855
6. Manolatou, C., et al., "High-density integrated optics," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 17, 1682-1692, 1999. doi:10.1109/50.788575
7. Fukazawa, T., T. Hirano, F. Ohno, and T. Baba, "Low loss intersection of Si photonic wire waveguides," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 43, 646-647, 2004. doi:10.1143/JJAP.43.646
8. Liu, H., H. Tam, P. K. A. Wai, and E. Pun, "Low-loss waveguide crossing using a multimode interference structure," Optics Communications, Vol. 241, 99-104, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2004.07.008
9. Jamid, H. A., M. Z. M. Khan, and M. Ameeruddin, "A compact 90o three-branch beam splitter based on resonant coupling," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 23, 3900-3906, 2005. doi:10.1109/JLT.2005.855859
10. Chen, H. and A. W. Poon, "Low loss multimode interference based crossings for silicon wire waveguides," IEEE Photonics Tech. Letters, Vol. 18, No. 21, 2260-2262, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.884726
11. Bogaerts, W., P. Dumon, D. V. Thourhout, and R. Baets, "Low-loss, low-cross-talk crossings for silicon-on-insulator nanophotonic waveguides ," Optics Letters, Vol. 32, 2801-2803, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.002801
12. Sanchis, P., J. V. Galn, A. Griol, J. Mart, M. A. Piqueras, and J. M. Perdigues, "Low-crosstalk in silicon-on insulator waveguide crossings with optimized-angle," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 1583-1585, 2007. doi:10.1109/LPT.2007.904330
13. Menzel, W. and I. Wolff, "A method for calculating the frequency-dependent properties of microstrip discontinuities," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 25, 107-112, 1977. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1977.1129049
14. Li, J., D. A. Fattal, and R. G. Beausoleil, "Crosstalk-free design for the intersection of two dielectric waveguides," Optics Express , Vol. 17, 7717-7724, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.007717
15. Neyer, A., W. Nevenkamp, L. Thylen, and B. Lagerstrom, "A beam propagation method analysis of active and passive waveguide crossings," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 3, 635-642, 1985. doi:10.1109/JLT.1985.1074239
16. Hammer, M., "Hybrid analytical/numerical coupled-mode modeling of guided-wave devices," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, 2287-2298, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2007.901438
17. Chang, H. W., Y. H. Wu, S. M. Lu, and W. C. Cheng, "Field analysis of dielectric waveguide devices based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation --- Numerical investigation ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 159-176, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091402
18. Chang, H.-W. and M.-H. Sheng, "Field analysis of dielectric waveguide devices based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation | Mathematical and numerical formulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 329-347, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091002
19. Borges, B.-H. V. and P. R. Herczfeld, "Coupled-mode analysis of highly asymmetric directional couples with periodic perturbation," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 3, 215-226, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.661706
20. Hammer, M., "Quadridirectional eigenmode expansion scheme for 2-D modeling of wave propagation in integrated optics," Optics Communications, Vol. 235, 285-303, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2004.02.064
21. Mittra, R. and U. Pekel, "A new look at the perfectly matched layer (PML) concept for the reflectionless absorption of electromagnetic waves," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letter, Vol. 5, No. 3, 84-86, 1995. doi:10.1109/75.366461
22. Moerloose, J. D. and M. A. Stuchly, "Behavior of Berenger's ABC for evanescent waves," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letter, Vol. 5, No. 10, 344-346, 1995. doi:10.1109/75.465042
23. Cheng, W.-C. and H.-W. Chang, "Comparison of PML with layer-mode based TBC for FD-FD method in a layered medium," International Conference on Optics and Photonics in Taiwan, 1-170, Dec. 2008.
24. Chang, H. W., W.-C. Cheng, and S.-M. Lu, "Layer-mode transparent boundary condition for the hybrid FD-FD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 175-195, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09061606
25. Chang, H. W., "FD-FD analysis of dielectric waveguide crossings with two-fold symmetry ," he XVIIIth International Workshop on Optical Waveguide Theory and Numerical Modeling, Session 4, 21, 2009.
26. Cheng, W.-C., Finite-different frequency-domain analysis of a dielectric waveguide crossing, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Photonics, National Sun Yat-sen University, 2010.
27. Chang, H.-W. and S.-M. Wang, "Large-scale hybrid FD-FD method for micro-ring cavities," FWE6 Frontier in Optics,, 2005.