The novel characteristics of wave transmission and reflection in one-dimensional semi-infinite chiral photonics have been investigated theoretically. Waves in each region have been formulated for both normal and oblique incidences. At a given incident angle, the transmission or reflection is found to be easily adjusted to be equal to 1 for the chiral photonics using chiral nihility media. The wave tunneling and rejection properties in chiral nihility photonics, as well as their parametric dependences on periodicity, chiral nihility and incident angles, have been explicitly presented theoretically and verified numerically.
3. Kong, J. A., Theory of Electromagnetic Waves, Wiley, New York, 1975.
4. Jaggard, D. L., A. R. Michelson, and C. H. Papas, "On electromagnetic waves in chiral media," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 18, 211-216, 1979.
5. Engheta, N. and A. R. Mickelson, "Transition radiation caused by a chiral plate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, 1213-1216, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142941
6. Dong, W., L. Gao, and C. W. Qiu, "Goos-Hanchen shift at the surface of chiral negative refractive media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 255-268, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08122002
7. Bassiri, S., C. H. Papas, and N. Engheta, "Electromagnetic wave propagation through a dielectric-chiral interface and through a chiral slab," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 5, 1450-1459, 1988. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.5.001450
8. Lakhtakia, A., V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, "Scattering and absorption characteristics of lossy dielectric, chiral, nonspherical objects," Appl. Opt., Vol. 24, 4146-4154, 1985. doi:10.1364/AO.24.004146
9. Silverman, M. P. and R. B. Sohn, "Effects of circular birefringence on light propagation and reflection," Am. J. Phys., Vol. 54, 69-76, 1986. doi:10.1119/1.14745
10. Qiu, C.-W., et al., "Eigenfuctional representation of dyadic Green's functions in planarly multilayered general Faraday chiral media," J. Phys. A: Math. Theor., Vol. 40, 5751-5766, 2007. doi:10.1088/1751-8113/40/21/020
11. Jaggard, D. L., X. Sun, and N. Engheta, "Canonical sources and duality in chiral media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 36, 1007-1013, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.7205
17. Varadan, V. V., R. Ro, and V. K. Varadan, "Measurement of the electromagnetic properties of chiral composite materials in the 8-40 GHz range," Radio Sci., Vol. 29, 9-22, 1994. doi:10.1029/93RS00551
18. Tretyakov, S., I. Nefedov, A. Sihvola, S. Maslovski, and C. Simovski, "Waves and energy in chiral nihility," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 695-706, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322226356
19. Qiu, C.-W., N. Burokur, S. Zouhdi, and L.-W. Li, "Chiral nihility effects on energy fow in chiral materials," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, 55-63, 2008. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.25.000055
21. Dong, J. F. and C. Xu, "Surface polaritons in planar chiral nihility metamaterial waveguides," Opt. Commun., Vol. 282, 3899-3904, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2009.06.054
22. Naqvi, Q. A., "Planar slab of chiral nihility metamaterial backed by fractional dual/PEMC interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 381-391, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081201
23. Naqvi, Q. A., "Fractional dual solutions in grounded chiral nihility slab and their effect on outside field ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 773-784, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019958
24. Illahi, A. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Study of focusing of electromagnetic waves re°ected by a PEMC backed chiral nihility reflector using Maslov's method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 863-873, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788355216
25. Dong, J., "Exotic characteristics of power propagation in the chiral nihility fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 163-178, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09102801
26. Qiu, C.-W., et al., "Backward waves in magnetoelectrically chiral media: Propagation, impedance and negative refraction," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 175, 155120, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.75.155120
27. Qiu, C.-W., et al., "Routes to left-handed media by magnetoelectric couplings," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, 245214, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.75.245214
28. Jin, C. J., et al., "Photonic bandgap structure of face-centered cubic lattice in chiral medium," Acta Physica Sinica, Vol. 46, 2315-2319, 1997.
29. Wu, T. X. and D. L. Jaggard, "Scattering of chiral periodic structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 1859-1870, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.831378
30. Tuz, V. R. and V. B. Kazanskiy, "Depolarization properties of a periodic sequence of chiral and material layers," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, 2704-2709, 2008. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.25.002704
31. Flood, K. M. and D. L. Jaggard, "Distributed feedback lasers in chiral media," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 30, 339-345, 1994. doi:10.1109/3.283779
32. Lytvynenko, L. M. and S. L. Prosvirnin, "Wave reflection by a periodic metamaterial," Eur. Phys. J. Appl. Phys, Vol. 46, 32608, 2009.