The following paper deals with the problem of computing a safety perimeter, i.e., where the electromagnetic field due to a radiating system exceeds a certain electromagnetic value. The flexibility of the source reconstruction method (SRM) is employed to compute the fields almost everywhere around the antenna. Techniques for fast computing of the fields in the spectral and spatial domains exploiting the characteristics of the SRM are considered in order to avoid expensive integrations over the sources surface. Results for a logperiodic antenna and a base station antenna for cellular phone systems are shown, and compared with the usual far-field approximation.
1. Council recommendation of 12 July 1999 on the limitation of exposure of the general public to electromagnetic fields (0 Hz to 300 GHz), 59 Official J. European Community L1999, 1999.
2. Decree 10 september 1998, No. 381. regolamento recante norme per la determinazione dei tetti di radiofrequenza compatibili con la salute umana. Gazzetta Ufficiale della Repubblica Italiana , Vol. 257, 9-14, November 1998.
3., "ICNIRP guidelines for limiting time-varying electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields (up to 300 GHz) ," Health Phys., Vol. 74, No. 4, 494-522, April 1998.
4. Local Government Official's Guide to Transmitting Antenna RF Emission Safety: Rules, Procedures, and Practical Guidance , Federal Communication Commission/Local and State Government Advisory Committee, 2000.
5., "Real decreto 1066/2001, de 28 de septiembre, por el que se aprueba el reglamento que establece condiciones de proteccion del dominio publico radioelectrico, restricciones a las emisiones radioelectricas y medidas de proteccion sanitaria frente a emisiones radioelectricas," Boletn Oficial del Estado, Vol. 234, 36217-36227, September 2001.
6. Adane, Y., A. Gati, Man-Fa Wong, C. Dale, J. Wiart, and V. F. Hanna, "Optimal modeling of real radio base station antennas for human exposure assessment using spherical-mode decomposition ," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, 215-218, 2002. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2002.807960
7. Alvarez, Y., C. Cappellin, F. Las-Heras, and O. Breinbjerg, "On the comparison of the spherical wave expansion-to-plane wave expansion and the sources reconstructionmethod for antenna diagnostics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 245-262, November 2008.
8. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents distribution over arbitrary three-dimensional surfaces based on integral equation algorithms ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3460-3468, December 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.910316
9. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "On the comparison between the spherical wave expansion and the sources reconstruction method ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 10, 3337-3341, October 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.929519
10. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, M. R. Pino, and J. A. Lopez, Acceleration of the sources reconstruction method via the fast multipole method , IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2008, AP-S 2008, 1-4, July 2008.
11. Ziyyat, A., D. Picard, L. Casavola, and J. C. Bolomey, Prediction of BTS antennas safety perimeter from NF to NF transformation: An experimental validation, Proc. Antenna Measurement Techniques Association Symposium (AMTA 2001), Denver, Colorado, USA, October 2001.
12. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, 1989.
13. Bizzi, M. and P. Gianola, "Electromagnetic fields radiated by GSM antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 11, 855-857, May 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19990602
14. Van Bladel, J., "Electromagnetic Fields," John Wiley and Sons, New Jersey, NJ, 2007.
15. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and A. Cardama, "Near field in the vicinity of wireless base-station antennas: An exposure compliance approach ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 5, 685-692, May 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.1011235
16. Cappellin, C., O. Breinbjerg, and A. Frandsen, "Properties of the transformation from the spherical wave expansion to the plane wave expansion ," Radio Sci., Vol. 43, 2008.
17. Cappellin, C., A. Frandsen, and O. Breinbjerg, "Application of the SWE-to-PWE antenna diagnostics technique to an offset reflector antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 5, 204-213, October 2008.
18. Casavola, L., A. Ziyyat, D. Picard, and J. C. Bolomey, "Rapid evaluation of electric and magnetic field radiated by base station antennas for cellular communication," Proc. XXVIIth General Assembly of the International Union of Radio Science, Maastricht, Netherlands, August 2002.
19. Casavola, L., A. Ziyyat, D. Picard, and J.-C. Bolomey, "Rapid determination of safety distances of a base station antenna for cellular communications ," Proc. 5th International Congress of the European BioElectromagnetics Association, EBEA'2001, 133-135, Helsinki, Finland, September 2001.
20. Chao, H.-Y., C. Lin, K. Pirapaharan, and W. C. Chew, Fast field calculation by a multilevel fast multipole algorithm for large complex radiators and scatterers, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2003, Vol. 1, 35-38, Jun. 2003.
21. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Nostrand Reinhold, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1990.
22. Cicchetti, R., A. Faraone and Q. Balzano, "A uniform asymptotic evaluation of the field radiated from collinear array antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 1, 89-102, January 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.808540
23. Coifman, R., V. Rokhlin, and S. Wandzura, "The fast multipole method for the wave equation: A pedestrian prescription," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 3, 7-12, June 1993.
24. Catedra, M. F., R. P. Torres, J. Basterrechea, and E. Gago, The CG-FFT Method: Aplication of Signal Processing Techniques to Electromagnetics , Artech House, Boston, 1995.
25. Faraone, A., R. Y.-S. Tay, K. H. Joyner, and Q. Balzano, "Estimation of the average power density in the vicinity of cellular base-station collinear array antennas," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 49, No. 3, 984-996, May 2000. doi:10.1109/25.845115
26. Gatti, M. S. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "FFT applications to planepolar near-field antenna measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 36, No. 6, 781-791, June 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1180
27. Las-Heras, F., M. R. Pino, S. Loredo, Y. Alvarez, and T. K. Sarkar, "Evaluating near-field radiation patterns of commercial antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 8, 2198-2207, August 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.879190
28. Lopez, Y. A., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "Application of the adaptive cross approximation algorithm to the sources reconstruction method," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, EuCAP 2009, 761-765, March 2009.
29. Lopez, Y. A., F. L.-H. Andres, M. R. Pino, and T. K. Sarkar, "An improved super-resolution source reconstruction method," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3855-3866, November 2009. doi:10.1109/TIM.2009.2020847
30. Persson, K. and M. Gustafson, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents using a near-field data transformation --- With radome application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 179-198, November 2005.
31. Sarkar, T. K., E. Arms, and S. M. Rao, "Application of FFT and the conjugate gradient method for the solution of electromagnetic radiation from electrically large and small conducting bodies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, 635-640, May 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143871
32. Song, J. M., C. C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," EEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1488-1493, October 1997. doi:10.1109/8.633855
33. Taaghol, A. and T. K. Sarkar, "Near-field to near/far-field transformation for arbitrary near-field geometry, utilizing and equivalent magnetic current," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 38, 536-542, 1996. doi:10.1109/15.536088
34. Yaghjian, A., "An overview of near-field antenna measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 34, No. 1, 30-45, January 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143727