The study of a planar circular slot antenna for Ultrawideband (UWB) communications is presented. The integration on this antenna of a notch filter, to reduce the possible interferences with the 5 GHz WLAN communications, has been discussed in detail. Four different structures, achieved by etching a suitable pattern on the antenna circular stub, have been considered, and their features have been compared. The antenna with symmetrical and inverted-L cuts shows the best performance, and it has been therefore realized and fully characterized. It shows very good matching features over the UWB band, and notable rejection of the 5 GHz WLAN band.
"UWB Circular Slot Antenna Provided with an Inverted-L Notch Filter for the 5 GHz
WLAN Band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10040507
1. Schantz, H., The Art and Science of Ultrawideband Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, 2005.
2. Arslan, H., Z. N. Chen, and M.-G. Di Benedetto, Ultra-wideband Wireless Communication, John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, 2006.
3. Denidni, T. A. and M. A. Habib, "Broadband printed CPW-fed circular slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 3, 135-136, February 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20063988
4. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "Effect of the substrate permittivity on the features of a planar slot antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 4, 935-940, April 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25066
5. Yeo, J., "Wideband circular slot antenna with tri-band rejection characteristics at 2.45/5.45/8 GHz," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 7, 935-940, April 2010.
6. Yang, Z., L. Li, and H. Wang, "Investigation on ultra-wideband printed circular monopole antenna with frequency-notched," IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Vol. 4, 1858-1861, 2008. doi:10.1109/ICMMT.2008.4540844
7. Khan, S. N., J. Xiong, and S. He, "Low profile and small size frequency notched planar monopole antenna from 3.5 to 23.64 GHz," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 1, 235-236, January 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23030
8. Neyestanak, A. A. L. and A. A. Kalteh, "Band-notched elliptical slot UWB microstrip antenna with elliptical stub filled by the H-shaped slot," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1993-2002, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537973
9. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1997.
10. Consoli, F., F. Maimone, and S. Barbarino, "Study of a CPW-fed circular slot antenna for UWB communications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 11, 2272-2277, Nov. 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21900
11. Chen, Z. N., Antennas for Portable Devices, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, 2007.
12. Jiang, J.-B., Z.-H. Zhang, Y. Song, and W. Wu, "Band-notched UWB printed antenna with an inverted C-slotted ground," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 2015-2022, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537847
13. Song, Y., Y. C. Jiao, T. L. Zhang, J. B. Jang, X. Zhang, and F. S. Zhang, "Frequency notched UWB slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2-3, 321-327, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604481
14. Liu, R.-H., Z.-H. Yan, J.-B. Jang, and Y. Bai, "Small printed ultra-wideband antenna with an inverted F-slotted ground," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1497-1504, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789476383
15. Movahedinia, R. and M. N. Azarmanesh, "A novel planar UWB monopole antenna with variable frequency band-notch function based on etched slot-type elc on the patch," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 1, 229-232, January 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.24853
16. Lamensdorfr, D. and L. Susmad, "Baseband-pulse-antenna techniques," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 36, No. 1, 20-30, Feb. 1994. doi:10.1109/74.262629