In this paper, an innovative method for obtaining a pencil beam pattern is presented. Planar arrays of parasitic dipoles are used to modify the pattern of an active dipole above a ground plane, in order to obtain a pencil beam of moderate gain and bandwidth. Only one feed point and one active element provides a very simple feeding network that reduces the complexity of the antenna. The correct configuration of the elements of the parasitic arrays allows to obtain the desired pencil beam pattern. Three designs that use parasitic arrays fed by a λ/2-dipole and synthesize pencil beam patterns are shown: 1) an antenna designed at 1.645 GHz and composed by one layer of 49 parasitic elements; 2) an antenna designed at the same frequency but composed by two layers of 49 parasitic elements; 3) an antenna designed at 5 GHz, composed by one layer of 49 parasitic elements, and taking into account the dielectric substrate and teflon screws.
5. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Phased Array Antennas: Floquet Analysis, Synthesis, BFNs and Active Array Systems," Wiley-Interscience, 2006.
6. Yuan, H.-W., S.-X. Gong, P.-F. Zhang, and X. Wang, "Wide scanning phased array antenna using printed dipole antennas with parasitic element ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 187-193, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08011602
7. Chen, X., G. Fu, S. X. Gong, J. Chen, and X. Li, "A novel microstrip array antenna with coplanar parasitic elements for UHF RFID reader," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2491-2502, 2009.
8. Kamarudin, M. R. B. and P. S. Hall, "Switched beam antenna array with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 187-201, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09011603
9. Alvarez-Folgueiras, M., J. A. Rodrguez-Gonzalez, and F. Ares-Pena, "Low-sidelobe patterns from small, low-loss uniformly fed linear arrays illuminating parasitic dipoles ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1583-1585, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2016804
10. Rodriguez, J. A., A. Trastoy, J. C. Bregains, F. Ares, and G. Franceschetti, "Beam reconfiguration of linear arrays using parasitic elements," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 1, 131-133, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20063674
11. Ares-Pena, F. J., G. Franceschetti, and J. A. Rodriguez, "A simple alternative for beam reconfiguration of array antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 227-240.
12. Skobelev, S. P., "Performance of Yagi-Uda elements in planar array antennas for limited-scan applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 2, 141-145, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10397
13. Jones, E. A. and W. T. Joines, "Design of Yagi-Uda antennas using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 9, 1386-1392, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.623128
14. Bemani, M. and S. Nikmehr, "A novel wide-band microstrip Yagi-Uda array antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 389-406, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09053101
15. Sun, B.-H., S.-G. Zhou, Y.-F. Wei, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Modified two-element Yagi-Uda antenna with tunable beams," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 175-187, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09111501
16. Bayderkhani, R. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband and low sidelobe linear series FED Yagi-like antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 153-167, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09072502
17. Mahmoud, K. R., M. El-Adawy, S. M. M. Ibrahem, R. Bansal, K. R. Mahmoud Visiting, and S. H. Zainud-Deen, "Performance of circular yagi-uda arrays for beamforming applications using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2-3, 353-364, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160866
18. Guerin, N., S. Enoch, G. Tayeb, P. Sabouroux, P. Vicent, and H. Legay, "A metallic Fabry-Perot directive antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 1, 220-224, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861578
19. Killen, W. D. and H. J. Delgado, "Printed circuit board-configured dipole array having matched impedance-coupled microstrip feed and parasitic elements for reducing sidelobes ," Patent application US 2001/0050654 A1, Dec. 2001.
20. Zhang, S., S.-X. Gong, and P.-F. Zhang, "A modified PSO for low sidelobe concentric ring arrays synthesis with multiple constraints," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1535-1544, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789476239
21. Poyatos, D., D. Escot, I. Montiel, I. Gonzalez, F. Saez de Adana, and M. F. Catedra, "Evaluation of particle swarm optimization applied to single snapshot direction of arrival estimation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 16, 2251-2258, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787522528
22. Pathak, N., G. K. Mahanti, S. K. Singh, J. K. Mishra, and A. Chakraborty, "Synthesis of thinned planar circular array antennas using modified particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 87-97, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09090606
23. Mangoud, M. A.-A. and H. M. Elragal, "Antenna array pattern synthesis and wide null control using enhanced particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 1-14, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09070205
24. Khodier, M. M. and M. Al-Aqeel, "Linear and circular array optimization: A study using particle swarm intelligence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 347-373, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09033101
25., , EM Software and Systems, FEKO Suite 5.4, www.feko.info, 2008.