Based on the active coupled line concept, a novel approach for efficient noise performance modeling of millimeter-wave field-effect transistors is proposed. This distributed model considers the effect of wave propagation along the device electrodes, which can significantly affect the noise performance especially in the millimeter-wave range. By solving the multi-conductor transmission line equations, using the Finite-Difference Time-Domain technique, this procedure can accurately determine the noise correlation matrix of the transistor and then its noise performance.
1. Imtiaz, S. M. S. and S. M. Ghazaly, "Global modeling of millimeter-wave circuits: Electromagnetic simulation of amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, 2208-2216, 1997. doi:10.1109/22.643818
2. Li, J., L. X. Guo, and H. Zeng, "FDTD investigation on bistatic scattering from a target above two-layered rough surfaces using UPML absorbing condition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 197-211, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08110102
3. Lei, J. Z., C. H. Liang, W. Ding, and Y. Zhang, "EMC analysis of antennas mounted on electrically large platforms with parallel FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 205-220, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08071303
4. Wang, M. Y., J. Xu, J. Wu, B. Wei, H. L. Li, T. Xu, and D. B. Ge, "FDTD study on wave propagation in layered structures with biaxial anisotropic metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 253-265, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07122602
5. Mirzavand, R., A. Abdipour, G. Moradi, and M. Movahhedi, "Full-wave semiconductor devices simulation using adi-FDTD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 191-202, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERM10010604
6. Goasguen, S., M. Tomeh, and S. M. Ghazaly, "Electromagnetic and semiconductor device simulation using interpolating wavelets," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 2258-2265, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.971608
7. Hussein, Y. A. and S. M. Ghazaly, "Modeling and optimization of microwave devices and circuits using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 329-336, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.820899
8. Movahhedi, M. and A. Abdipour, "Efficient numerical methods for simulation of high-frequency active devices," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2636-2645, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.872937
9. Abdipour, A. and G. Moradi, "A CAD-oriented simultaneous signal and noise modeling and analysis of mm-wave FET structures," AEU --- Int. J. of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 58, 65-71, 2004. doi:10.1078/1434-8411-54100208
10. Abdelaziz, A. F., T. M. Abuelfadl, and O. L. Elsayed, "Realization of composite right/left-handed transmission line using coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 299-315, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09040305
11. Tafove, A., Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite Difference Time-domain Method, Artech House, Norwood, 1996.
12. Gaoua, S., S. Asadi, M. C. E. Yagoub, and F. A. Mohammadi, "CAD tools for efficient RF/microwave transistor modeling and circuit design," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing J., Vol. 63, 59-70, 2010. doi:10.1007/s10470-009-9381-z
13. Cheldavi, A., D. Ansari, and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Electromagnetic coupling to circulant symmetric multi-conductor microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 189-201, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER04031301
14. Pospieszalski, M. W., "Modeling of noise parameters of MESFETs and MODFETs and their frequency and temperature dependence," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 37, 385-388, 1989.
15. Fu, Y., K. Li, and F. Kong, "Analysis of the optical transmission through the metal plate with slit array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 109-125, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08022013
16. Dobrowolski, J. A., Introduction to Computer Methods for Microwave Circuit Analysis and Design, Artech House, Boston, 1991.
17. Dobrowolski, J. A., Computer-aided Analysis, Modeling, and Design of Microwave Networks (Wave Approach), Artech House, Boston, 1996.
18. Movahhedi, M. and A. Abdipour, "Accelerating the transient simulation of semiconductor devices using filter-bank transforms," Int. J. Numer. Mod., Vol. 19, 4767, 2006.
19. Kung, F. and H. T. Chuah, "A finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) software for simulation of printed circuit board (PCB) assembly," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 299-335, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04071401
20. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of nonuniform transmission lines using the equivalent sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 95-107, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07020801