This work presents a quadrature voltage-controlled oscillator (QVCO) realized by on-chip trans-directional (TRD) couplers. The TRD coupler is implemented by sections of parallel-coupled lines connected by shunt capacitors periodically. The TRD couplers allow decoupling the DC path between input and output. Thus, it can make connections with active circuits easier, eliminating some off-chip biasing circuits. Since the quadrature signals are generated by 90°hybrid couplers, the oscillator core can be optimized for circuit performance without considering the generation of quadrature signals. A Ka band QVCO fabricated in CMOS 0.18 μm technology was designed to verify the effectiveness of the proposed QVCO structure. The measurement results reveal that the quadrature output signals of QVCO have about -1.52 dBm output powers with less than 1 dB amplitude imbalance and less than 6°phase difference in the frequency range of 31.9 to 32.7 GHz. The best measured phase noise of the QVCO is -110.6 dBc/Hz at 1 MHz offset from the center frequency. The figure-of-merit of the circuit is 187.5 dBc/Hz.
1. Van der Tang, J., P. van de Ven, D. Kasperkovitz, and A. van Roermund, "Analysis and design of an optimally coupled 5-GHz quadrature LC oscillator," EEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 37, 657-661, May 2002. doi:10.1109/4.997861
2. Hadziabdic, D., T. K. Johansen, V. Krozer, A. Konczykowska, M. Riet, F. Jorge, and J. Godin, "47.8 GHz InP HBT quadrature VCO with 22% tuning range," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 3, 153-154, Feb. 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20073347
3. Chan, W. L., H. Veenstra, and J. R. Long, "A 32 GHz quadrature LC-VCO in 0.25 mm SiGe BiCMOS technology," Dig. Tech. Pap. IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf., Vol. 1, 538-616, 2005.
4. Ellinger, F. and H. Jackel, "38-43 GHz quadratureVCO on 90 nm VLSI CMOS with feedback frequency tuning," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1701-1703, Jun. 2005. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2005.1517042
5. Zhou, H.-F., Y. Han, S. R. Dong, and C. H. Wang, "An ultra-low-voltage high-performance VCO in 0.13-μm CMOS," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 17-18, 2417-2426, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787543778
6. Chen, J.-X., J. Shi, Z.-H. Bao, and Q. Xue, "A parallel-strip line differential oscillator with high suppression of second harmonics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 16, 2219-2228, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309790109207
7. Ibrahim, S. H., "Design and analysis considerations of 4-GHz integrated antenna with negative resistance oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 111-131, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08122901
8. Butt, K. A., A. E. Nadeem, and A. Hasan, "A low cost RF oscillator incorporating a folded parallel coupled resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 75-88, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09062505
9. Wood, J., T. C. Edwards, and S. Lipa, "Rotary traveling-wave oscillator arrays: A new clock technology," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 36, No. 11, 1654-1665, Nov. 2001. doi:10.1109/4.962285
10. Cho, Y.-H., M.-D. Tsai, H.-Y. Chang, C.-C. Chang, and H.Wang, "A low phase noise 52-GHz push-push VCO in 0.18-μm bulk CMOS technologies," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symp. Dig., 131-134, Jun. 2005.
11. Wei, C.-C., H.-C. Chiu, and Y.-T. Yang, "A novel compact complementary colpitts differential CMOS VCO with low phase-noise performance," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symp. Dig., 541-544, Jun. 2008.
12. Tsai, M. D., Y. H. Cho, and H. Wang, "A 5-GHz low phase noise differential colpitts CMOS VCO," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 5, 327-329, May 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.847696
14. Vogel, R. W., "Analysis and design of lumped- and lumped-distributed element directional couplers for MIC and MMIC applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 2, 253-262, Feb. 1992. doi:10.1109/22.120097
15. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, 2nd edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1992.
16. Mongia, R., I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, RF and Microwave Coupled-line Circuits, 2nd edition, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2007.
17. De Castro-Galan, D., L. E. Garcia Munoz, D. Segovia-Vargas, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Diversity monopulse antenna based on a dual-frequency and dual mode CRLH rat-race coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 87-106, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09030603
18. Abdalla, M. A. and Z. Hu, "On the study of left-handed coplanar waveguide coupler on ferrite substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 69-75, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07111808
19. Shamsinejad, S., M. Soleimani, and N. Komjani, "Novel enhanced and miniaturized 90°coupler for 3G EH mixers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 43-50, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08012702
20. Zhang, J. and X.-W. Sun, "Harmonic suppression of branch-line and rat-race coupler using complementary spilt ring resonators (CSRR) cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 73-79, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07122702
22. Ishihara, N., "Vdd gate biasing RF CMOS amplifier design technique based on the effect of carrier velocity saturation," APMC 2006, Japan, 2006.
23. Chang, Y.-C., Y.-C. Chiu, S.-G. Lin, Y.-Z. Juang, and H.-K. Chiou, "High phase accuracy on-wafer measurement for quadrature voltage-controlled oscillator," 37th European Microwave Conference, 340-343, Munich, Germany, Oct. 2007.
24. Chang, H.-Y., Y.-H. Cho, M.-F. Lei, C.-S. Lin, T.-W. Huang, and H.Wang, "A 45-GHz quadrature voltage controlled oscillator with a re°ection-type IQ modulator in 0.13-μm CMOS technology," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 739-742, San Francisco, 2006.
25. Ng, A. W. L. and H. C. Luong, "A 1V 17 GHz 5mW quadrature CMOS VCO based on transformer coupling," Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf. Dig., 711-720, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/ISSCC.2006.1696110
26. Hsieh, H.-H., Y.-C. Hsu, and L.-H. Lu, "A 15/30-GHz dual-band multiphase voltage-controlled oscillator in 0.18-μm CMOS," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 3, 474-483, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.890518