A thin Artificial Magnetic Conductor (AMC) structure for Radar Cross-Section (RCS) reduction applications is presented. The manufactured prototype, which combines two unit-cell metallization sizes, presenting two resonant frequencies, shows broad AMC operation bandwidth, polarization angle independency, and its angular margin when operating under oblique ncidence is also tested. It is shown that significant RCS reduction can be achieved with the proposed AMCs combination even if a 180º phaseshift between reflected waves is not met. Two designs are considered: the already mentioned design combining AMCs with overlapped frequency bands and the second one combining Perfect Electric Conductor (PEC) and AMC surfaces. A comparison between these two designs regarding RCS reduction, supported by measurements in an anechoic chamber, is presented.
1. Lee, K.-C., C.-W. Huang, and M.-C. Fang, "Radar target recognition by projected features of frequency-diversity RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 121-133, 2008.
2. Li, N.-J., C.-F. Hu, L.-X. Zhang, and J.-D. Xu, "Overview of RCS extrapolation techniques to aircraft targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 249-262, 2008.
3. Pouliguen, P., R. Hemon, C. Bourlier, J.-F. Damiens, and J. Saillard, "Analytical formulae for radar cross section of flat plates in near field and normal incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 263-279, 2008.
4. Alexopoulos, A., "Effect of atmospheric propagation in RCS predictions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 277-290, 2010.
5. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Improving the performance of an antenna array by using radar absorbing cover ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 129-138, 2008.
6. Hebeish, A. A., M. A. Elgamel, R. A. Abdelhady, and A. A. Abdelaziz, "Factors affecting the performance of the radar absorbant textile materials of different types and structus," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 219-226, 2008.
7. Hemming, L. H., Electromagnetic Anechoic Chambers: A Fundamental Design and Specification Guide, Vol. 8, IEEE Press, John Wiley Interscience, 2002.
8. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, 2nd Ed., 269-276, Artech House, 1993.
9. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Combination of MLS, GA & CG for the reduction of RCS of multilayered cylindrical structures composed of dispersive metamaterials ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 227-253, 2008.
10. Chen, H.-Y., P. Zhou, L. Chen, and L. Deng, "Study on the properties of surface waves in coated ram layers and monostatic rcs performances of the coated slab ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 123-135, 2010.
11. Salisbury, W. W., Absorbent body for electromagnetic waves, U. S. Patent 2 599 944, Jun. 10, 1952.
12. Kazem, A. Z. and A. Karlsson, "Capacitive circuit method for fast and e±cient design of wideband radar absorbers," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2307-2314, 2009.
13. Abdelaziz, A. A., "A novel technique for improving the performance of salisbury screen," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 1-8, 2008.
14. Fante, R. L. and M. T. McCormack, "Reflection properties of the Salisbury screen," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 36, No. 10, 1443-1454, Oct. 1988.
15. Engheta, N., "Thin absorbing screens using metamaterial surfaces," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Societ Int. Symp., 392-395, 2002.
16. Zheng, Q.-R., Y.-M. Yan, X.-Y. Cao, and N.-C. Yuan, "High impedance ground plane (HIGP) incorporated with resistance for radar cross section (RCS) reduction of antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 307-319, 2008.
17. Zainud-Deen, S. H., A. Z. Botros, and M. S. Ibrahim, "Scattering from bodies coated with metamaterial using FDFD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 279-290, 2008.
18. Hady, L. K. and A. A. Kishk, "Electromagnetic scattering from conducting circular cylinder coated by meta-materials and loaded with helical strips under oblique incidence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 189-206, 2008.
19. Chen, H. T., G.-Q. Zhu, and S.-Y. He, "Using genetic algorithm to reduce the radar cross section of three-dimensional anisotropic impedance object," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 231-248, 2008.
20. Zhang, Y., R. Mittra, B. Z. Wang, and N. T. Huang, "AMCs for ultra-thin and broadband RAM design," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 10, 484-485, 2009.
21. Zhang, Y., R. Mittra, and B. Z. Wang, "Novel design for low-RCS screens using a combination of Dual-AMC," Antennas and Propagation Society Intl. Symposium, 2009. APSURSI'09, 1-4, Jun. 1-5, 2009.
22. Paquay, M., J. C. Iriarte, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Thin AMC structure for radar cross section reduction," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3630-3638, Dec. 2007.
23. Iriarte, J. C., et al., "RCS reduction in a chessboard-like structure using AMC cells," Proceedings EUCAP 2007, 1-4, Nov. 11-16, 2007.
24. Yang, F., K. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A uniplanar compact photonic-bandgap (UC-EBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, 1509-1514, Aug. 1999.
25. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras, "Planar artificial magnetic conductor: Design and characterization setup in the RFID SHF band ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1467-1478, 2009.
26. Luukkonen, O., O., C. R. Simovski, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Grounded uniaxial material slabs as magnetic conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 267-283, 2009.
27. Iriarte, J. C., et al., Dual band RCS reduction using planar technology by combining AMC structures, Proc. Eucap, 2009.
28. Li, Y., et al., Prototyping dual-band artificial magnetic conductors with laser micromachining, Proc. of WARS2006 Conference, Leura, NSW, Australia, Feb. 2006.