This paper proposes a new electronic-continuously variable transmission (E-CVT) system for power-split hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs). The key is to integrate two permanent magnet motor/generators (M/Gs) together with a coaxial magnetic gear (CMG). By designing the modulating ring of the CMG to be rotatable, this integrated machine can achieve both power splitting and mixing, and therefore, can seamlessly match the vehicle road load to the engine optimal operating region. With the one-side-in and one-side-out structure and the non-contact transmission of the CMG, all the drawbacks aroused by the mechanical gears and chain existing in the traditional E-CVT system can be overcome. Moreover, the proposed E-CVT system possesses the merits of small size and light weight, which are vitally important for extending the full-electric drive range of HEVs. The working principle and the design details are elaborated. By using the finite element method (FEM), the electromagnetic characteristics are analyzed.
1. Chan, C. C. and K. T. Chau, Modern Electric Vehicle Technology, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2001.
2. Chau, K. T. and C. C. Chan, "Emerging energy-efficient technologies for hybrid electric vehicles," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 95, No. 4, 821-835, 2007.
3. Sasaki, S., "Toyota's newly developed hybrid powertrain," IEEE International Symposium on Power Semiconductor Devices and ICs, 17-22, 1997.
4. Miller, J. M., "Hybrid electric vehicle propulsion system architectures of the e-CVT type," IEEE Trans. on Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 3, 756-767, 2006.
5. Hoeijmakers, M. J. and J. A. Ferreira, "The electric variable transmission," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 42, No. 4, 1092-1100, 2006.
6. Eriksson, S. and C. Sadarangani, "A four-quadrant HEV drive system," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 1510-1514, 2002.
7. Atallah, K., S. Calverley, and D. Howe, "Design, analysis and realization of a high-performance magnetic gear," IEE Proc. Electric Power Appl., Vol. 151, No. 2, 135-143, 2004.
8. Jian, L. and K. T. Chau, "Analytical calculation of magnetic field distribution in coaxial magnetic gears," Progress In Eletromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 1-16, 2009.
9. Chau, K. T., D. Zhang, J. Z. Jiang, C. Liu, and Y. Zhang, "Design of a magnetic-geared outer-rotor permanent-magnet brushless motor for electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Mag., Vol. 43, No. 6, 2504-2506, 2007.
10. Jian, L., K. T. Chau, and J. Z. Jiang, "A magnetic-geared outer-rotor permanent-magnet brushless machine for wind power generation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appli., Vol. 45, No. 3, 954-962, 2009.
11. Faiz, J. and B. M. Ebrahimi, "Mixed fault diagnosis in three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor using analysis of air-gap magnetic field," Progress In Eletromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 239-255, 2006.
12. Vaseghi, B., N. Takorabet, and F. Meibody-Tabar, "Transient finite element analysis of induction machines with stator winding turn fault," Progress In Eletromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 1-18, 2009.
13. Faiz, J., B. M. Ebrahimi, and M. B. B. Sharifian, "Time stepping finite element analysis of broken bars fault in a three-phase squirrel-cage induction motor," Progress In Eletromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 53-70, 2007.
14. Chari, M., G. Bedrosian, J. D'Angelo, A. Konrad, G. Cotzas, and M. Shah, "Electromagnetic field analysis for electrical machine design," Progress In Eletromagnetics Research, Vol. 04, 159-211, 1991.
15. Jian, L. and K. T. Chau, "A coaxial magnetic gear with Halbach permanent magnet arrays," IEEE Trans. Energy Conv., Vol. 25, No. 2, 319-328, 2010.
16. Liu, J. and H. Peng, "Modeling and control of a power-split hybrid vehicle," IEEE Trans. Control System Technol., Vol. 57, No. 1, 1242-1251, 2008.
17. Jian, L., K. T. Chau, Y. Gong, J. Z. Jiang, C. Yu, and W. Li, "Comparison of coaxial magnetic gears with different topologies," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 10, 4526-4529, 2009.
18. EL-Refaie, A. M., "Fractional-slot concentrated-windings synchronous permanent magnet machines: Opportunities and challenges," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 1, 107-121, 2010.
19. Sun, Z., J. Wang, G. Jewell, and D. Howe, "Enhanced optimal torque control of fault-tolerant PM machine under flux-weakening operation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 1, 344-353, 2010.