In this paper, based on different influences of the lattice symmetry, the geometry of dielectric rod, and the structure of unit cell to absolute gaps we propose a so-called three-order-effect method for the construction of two-dimensional (2D) photonic crystals (PCs) with larger absolute gaps. As an example, by means of our approach we fabricate a 2D hexagonal lattice of cylinder with an optimal rod adding at the center of the unit cell, where the absolute gap is larger than that of the PC with similar structure studied by other group previously. On the other hand, we also find that many of the 2D PCs with larger absolute gaps reported previously possess optimal first-order and second-order substructures. Our three-order-effect method would be useful for the design of 2D PCs with larger absolute gaps.
"Larger Absolute Band Gaps in Two-Dimensional Photonic Crystals Fabricated by a Three-Order-Effect Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 108, 385-400, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10072505
1. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 20, 2059-2062, 1987.
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 23, 2486-2489, 1987.
3. Jensen, J. S. and O. Sigmund, "Systematic design of photonic crystal structures using topology optimization: Low-loss waveg-uide bends," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 12, 2022-2024, 2004.
4. Bjarklev, A., J. B. Jensen, J. Riishede, J. Broeng, J. Laegsgaard, T. Tanggaard Larsen, T. Sorensen, K. Hougaard, and O. Bang, "Photonic crystal structures in sensing technology," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 5502, 9-16, 2004.
5. Maka, T., D. N. Chigrin, S. G. Romanov, and C. M. Sotomayor Torres, "Three dimensional photonic crystals in the visible regime," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 307-335, 2003.
6. Srivastava, R., S. Srivastava, and S. P. Ojha, "Negative refraction by photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-26, 2008.
7. Wu, J. J., D. Chen, K. L. Liao, T. J. Yang, and W. L. Ouyang, "The optical properties of Bragg fiber with a fiber core of 2-dimensional elliptical-hole photonic crystal structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 87-95, 2009.
8. Qi, L. M., Z. Q. Yang, X. Gao, W. X. Liu, and Z. Liang, "Research on three types of rhombus lattice photonic band structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1115-1164, 2008.
9. Ozbay, E., B. Temelkuran, and M. Bayindir, "Microwave applications of photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 185-209, 2003.
10. Anderson, C. M. and K. P. Giapis, "Larger two-dimensional photonic band gaps," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 77, No. 14, 2949-2952, 1996.
11. Kee, C. S., J. E. Kim, and H. Y. Park, "Absolute photonic band gap in a two-dimensional square lattcie of square dielectric rods in air," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 56, No. 6, R6291-R6293, 1997.
12. Shen, L. F., S. L. He, and S. S. Xiao, "Large absolute band gaps in two-dimensional photonic crystals formed by large dielectric pixels," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 66, No. 16, 165315-1-165315-6, 2002.
13. Chern, R. L., C. C. Chang, C. C. Chang, and R. R. Hwang, "Large full band gaps for photonic crystals in two dimensions computed by an inverse method with multigrid acceleration," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 68, No. 2, 026704-1-026704-5, 2003.
14. Anderson, C. M. and K. P. Giapis, "Symmetry reduction in group 4mm photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 56, No. 12, 7313-7320, 1997.
15. Malkova, N., S. Kim, T. Dilazaro, and V. Gopalan, "Symmetrical analysis of complex two-dimensional hexagonal photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 67, No. 12, 125203-1-125203-9, 2003.
16. Zaccaria, R. P., P. Verma, S. Kawaguchi, S. Shoji, and S. Kawata, "Manipulating full photonic band gap in two dimensional birefringent photonic crystals," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, No. 19, 14812-14820, 2008.
17. Sigmund, O. and K. Hougaard, "Geometric properties of optimal photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, No. 15, 153904-1-153904-4, 2008.