In this paper we study the optimization process of a novel hybrid antenna, formed by a Planar Inverted-F Antenna (PIFA) and a coplanar patch in the same structure, and intended to be used in mobile communications and WIFI applications simultaneously. This hybrid device has been recently proposed and characterized in the literature, and it has been shown that it allows a bandwidth of 850 MHz (49%) in the lower band and 630 MHz (11.25%) in the upper band. In spite of these good performance results, the fine tuning of the joint PIFA-patch parameters in the hybrid antenna is a hard task, not easy to automatize. In this paper we propose the use of an Evolutionary Programming (EP) approach, an algorithm of the Evolutionary Computation family, which has been shown to be very effective in continuous optimization problems. We use a real encoding of the antenna's parameters and the CST Microwave Studio simulator to obtain the performance of the antenna. The simulator is therefore incorporated to the EP algorithm as a part of the antenna's evaluation process. We will show that the EP is able to obtain very good sets of parameters in terms of the designer necessities, usually a larger bandwidth at the design frequencies. In this case, the bandwidth of the EP optimized antenna results in 980 MHz (55%) for the lower band and 870 MHz (17%) for the upper band.
J. A. Portilla-Figueras,
Richard J. Langley,
"Hybrid PIFA-Patch Antenna Optimized by Evolutionary Programming," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 108, 221-234, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10072804
1. Dimousios, T. D., C. D. Nikolopoulos, S. A. Mitilineos, and C. N. Capsalis, "A new low-profile and cost SPA-PIFA for mobile 2.4 GHz ISM applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 881-891, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285272
2. Xiao, H.-L. and Z.-P. Nie, "Design of compact planar inverted-L diversity antenna for handheld terminals," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 1, 185-189, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERC08021803
3. Chang, T. N., G. Y. Shen, and J. M. Lin, "CPW-fed antenna covering Wimax 2.5/3.5/5.7 GHz bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 189-197, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735589
4. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and Y.-Y. Chang, "Flower-like CPW-FED monopole antenna for quad-band operation of mobile handsets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2271-2278, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309790416116
5. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3 Ed., John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
6. Mahattanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "A bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot fed by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09061603
7. Kashiwa, T., N. Yoshida, and I. Fukai, "Analysis of radiation characteristics of planar inverted-F antenna on conductive body of hand-held transceiver by spatial network method," Electronic Letter, Vol. 25, No. 16, 1044-1045, 1989. doi:10.1049/el:19890697
8. Saidatul, N. A., A. A. H. Azremi, R. B. Ahmad, P. J. Soh, and F. Malek, "Multiband fractal planar inverted F antenna (F-PIFA) for mobile phone application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 127-148, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09030802
9. Deng, S. M., C. L. Tsai, C. K. Yeh, and S. S. Bor, "CPW-fed PIFAS with a capacitively coupling slot for dual wide-band operations," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 721-733, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036467
10. Vazquez Antuna, C., G. Hotopan, S. Ver Hoeye, M. Fernandez Garcia, L. F. Herran Ontanon, and F. Las Heras, "Microstrip antenna design based on stacked patches for reconfigurable to dimensional planar array topologies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 95-104, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072107
11. Dahele, J. S., K. F. Lee, and D. P. Wond, "Dual frecuency stacked annular ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, 1094-1100, 2001.
12. Secmen, M. and A. Hizal, "A dual-polarized wide-band patch antenna for indoor mobile communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 189-200, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09112607
13. Kouveliotis, N. K., S. C. Panagiotou, P. K. Varlamos, T. D. Dimousios, and C. N. Capsalis, "Optimizing a PIFA using a genetic algorithms approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2-3, 453-461, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160613
14. Zhou, S. G., B. H. Sun, J. L. Guo, Q. Z. Liu, and Y. Hua, "A new fitness function for optimizing the matching network of broadband antennas by genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 5-6, 759-765, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784159453
15. Luo, Z., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel electrically-small microstrip genetic antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 4, 513-520, 2010.
16. IEEE 802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee, http:ieee802.org., Last visit September 3, 2010.
17. Yao, X., Y. Liu, and G. Lin, "Evolutionary programming made faster," IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., Vol. 3, No. 2, 82-102, 1999. doi:10.1109/4235.771163
18. Price, K., R. Storn, and J. Lampinen, Differential Evolution --- A Practical Approach to Global Optimization, Springer-Verlag, 1998.
19. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, Swarm Intelligence, Morgan Kaufmann, 2001.
20. Kim, B. C., et al., "Tapered type PIFA design for mobile phones at 1800 MHz," The 57th IEEE Semiannual Vehicular Technology Conference, 1012-1014, April 2003.
21. Fujimoto, K., A. Henderson, K. Hirasawa, and J. R. James, Small Antennas, Research Studies Press Ltd., 1987.
22. Goldberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning, Reading, Addison-Wesley, MA, 1989.
23. Bäck, T. and H. P. Schwefel, "An overview of evolutionary algo-rithms for parameter optimization," Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-23, 1993. doi:10.1162/evco.1918.104.22.168
24. Lee, C. Y. and X. Yao, "Evolutionary programming using mutations based on the Levy probability distribution," IEEE Transaction on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 8, No. 1, 1-13, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2003.816583