We present a rigorous 2D numerical study of the transmission, reflection and crosstalk coefficients of the perpendicular, identical dielectric crossing waveguide with various core-cladding index contrasts for both TE and TM polarizations. Our method is based on a hybrid frequency-domain finite-difference (FD-FD) technique computed with the cross-symmetry model. By varying the intersection profile, such as the circular, filleted, tapered and elliptical shapes, we achieve, even for a large 3.5 to 1.5 index ratio, a low 0.25dB insertion loss, a nontrivial reduction over the straight direct crossing case.
"Analysis of Perpendicular Crossing Dielectric Waveguides with Various Typical Index Contrasts and Intersection Profiles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 108, 323-341, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10081008
3. Beausoleil, R. G., P. J. Kuekes, G. S. Snider, S.-Y. Wang, and R. S. Williams, "Nanoelectronic and nanophotonic interconnect," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 96, 230-247, 2008. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2007.911057
4. Daly, M. G., P. E. Jessop, and D. Yevick, "Crosstalk reduction in intersecting RIB waveguide," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 14, 1695-1698, 1996. doi:10.1109/50.507946
5. Johnson, S. G., et al., "Elimination of cross talk in waveguide intersections," Optics Letters, Vol. 23, 1855-1857, 1998. doi:10.1364/OL.23.001855
6. Manolatou, C., et al., "Highdensity integrated optics," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 17, 1682-1692, 1999. doi:10.1109/50.788575
7. Fukazawa, T., T. Hirano, F. Ohno, and T. Baba, "Low loss intersection of Si photonic wire waveguides," Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 43, 646-647, 2004. doi:10.1143/JJAP.43.646
8. Liu, H., H. Tam, P. K. A. Wai, and E. Pun, "Low-loss waveguide crossing using a multimode interference structure," Optics Communications, Vol. 241, 99-104, 2004. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2004.07.008
9. Jamid, H. A., M. Z. M. Khan, and M. Ameeruddin, "A compact 90°three-branch beam splitter based on resonant coupling," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 23, 3900-3906, 2005. doi:10.1109/JLT.2005.855859
10. Bogaerts, W., P. Dumon, D. V. Thourhout, and R. Baets, "Lowloss, low-cross-talk crossings for silicon-on-insulator nanophotonic waveguides," Optics Letters, Vol. 32, 2801-2803, 2007. doi:10.1364/OL.32.002801
11. Sanchis, P., J. V. Galn, A. Griol, J. Mart, M. A. Piqueras, and J. M. Perdigues, "Low-crosstalk in silicon-on insulator waveguide crossings with optimized-angle," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 1583-1585, 2007. doi:10.1109/LPT.2007.904330
12. Menzel, W. and I.Wolff, "A method for calculating the frequency-dependent properties of microstrip discontinuities," IEEE MTT, Vol. 25, 107-112, 1977. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1977.1129049
13. Li, J., D. A. Fattal, and R. G. Beausoleil, "Crosstalk-free design for the intersection of two dielectric waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 7717-7724, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.007717
14. Chen, H. and A. W. Poon, "Low loss multimode interference based crossings for silicon wire waveguides," IEEE Photonics Tech. Letters, Vol. 18, No. 21, 2260-2262, 2006. doi:10.1109/LPT.2006.884726
15. Neyer, A., W. Nevenkamp, L. Thylen, and B. Lagerstrom, "A beam propagation method analysis of active and passive waveguide crossings," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 3, 635-642, 1985. doi:10.1109/JLT.1985.1074239
16. Gharib, M., E. Mehrshahi, and M. Tayarani, "An accurate design of E-septum waveguide filters with improved stop band based on mode matching method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 2003-2013, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537991
17. Kusiek, A. and J. Mazur, "Analysis of scattering from arbitrary configuration of cylindrical objects using hybrid FD mode-matching method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 105-127, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072804
18. Chang, H.-W., Y.-H. Wu, S.-M. Lu, and W.-C. Cheng, "Field analysis of dielectric waveguide devices based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation --- Numerical investigation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 159-176, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091402
19. Chang, H.-W. and M.-H. Sheng, "Field analysis of dielectric waveguide devices based on coupled transverse-mode integral equation --- Mathematical and numerical formulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 329-347, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091002
20. Hammer, M., "Quadridirectional eigenmode expansion scheme for 2-D modeling of wave propagation in integrated optics," Optics Communications, Vol. 235, 2004.
21. Hammer, M., "Hybrid analytical/numerical coupled-mode modeling of guided-wave devices," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 25, 2287-2298, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2007.901438
22. Borges, B.-H. V. and P. R. Herczfeld, "Coupled-mode analysis of highly asymmetric directional couples with periodic perturbation," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 3, 215-226, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.661706
23. Mittra, R. and U. Pekel, "A new look at the perfectly matched layer (PML) concept for the reflectionless absorption of electromagnetic waves," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letter, Vol. 5, No. 3, 1995.
24. Moerloose, J. D. and M. A. Stuchly, "Behavior of Berenger's ABC for evanescent waves," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letter, Vol. 5, No. 10, 1995.
25. Zheng, K., W. Y. Tam, D. B. Ge, and J. D. Xu, "Uniaxial PML absorbing boundary condition for truncating the boundary of DNG metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 8, 125-134, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09030901
26. Ali, M. and S. Sanyal, "FDTD analysis of rectangular waveguide in receiving mode as EMI sensors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 291-303, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112901
27. Swillam, M. A., M. H. Bakr, and X. Li, "Full wave sensitivity analysis of guided wave structures using FDTD," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 16, 2135-2145, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787522474
28. Khajehpour, A. and S. A. Mirtaheri, "Analysis of pyramid EM wave absorber by FDTD method and comparing with capacitance and homogenization methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 3, 123-131, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08021802
29. Sani, N. V., A. Mohammadi, A. Abdipour, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Analysis multiport receivers using FDTD technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 635-643, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019921
30. Dai, S. Y., C. M. Zhang, and Z. S. Wu, "Electromagnetic Scattering of objects above ground using MRTD/FDTD hybrid method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 16, 2187-2196, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309790109306
31. Chatterjee, A. and R.-S. Myong, "Efficient implementation of higher-order finite volume time-domain method for electrically large scatterers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 233-254, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09073102
32. Shao, W., S.-J. Lai, and T. Z. Huang, "Compact 2-D full-wave order-marching time-domain method with a memory-reduced technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 157-164, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08111811
33. Chang, H.-W. and W.-C. Cheng, "Analysis of dielectric waveguide termination with tilted facets by analytic continuity method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1621-1630, 2007.
34. Hua, Y., Q. Z. Liu, Y. L. Zou, and L. Sun, "A hybrid FE-BI method for electromagnetic scattering from dielectric bodies partially covered by conductors," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 12, 423-430, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160802
35. Liau, J.-J., N.-H. Sun, S.-C. Lin, R.-Y. Ro, J.-S. Chiang, C.-L. Pan, and H.-W. Chang, "A new look at numerical analysis of uniform fiber Bragg gratings using coupled mode theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 385-401, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09031102
36. Fan, Z. H., D. Z. Ding, and R. S. Chen, "The efficient analysis of electromagnetic scattering from composite structures using hybrid CFIE-IEFIE," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 10, 131-143, 2009.
37. Zhao, W., H. W. Deng, and Y. J. Zhao, "Application of 4-component compact 2-D FDFD method in analysis of lossy circular metal waveguide," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 17-18, 2297-2308, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787543930
38. Chang, H.-W., W.-C. Cheng, and S.-M. Lu, "Layer-mode transparent boundary condition for the hybrid FD-FD method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 175-195, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09061606
39. Zainud-Deen, S. H., E. El-Deen, M. S. Ibrahim, K. H. Awadalla, and A. Z. Botros, "Electromagnetic scattering using gpu-based finite difference frequency domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 157-164, 2009.
40. Zheng, G., B.-Z.Wang, H. Li, X.-F. Liu, and S. Ding, "Analysis of finite periodic dielectric gratings by the finite-difference frequency-domain method with the sub-entire-domain basis functions and wavelets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 453-463, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09111502
41. Chang, H.-W., Y.-H. Wu, and W.-C. Cheng, "Hybrid FD-FD analysis of crossing waveguides exploiting plus and cross symmetry," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 217-240, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10030202
42. Wu, T.-L. and H.-W. Chang, "Guiding mode expansion of a TE and TM transverse-mode integral equation for dielectric slab waveguides with an abrupt termination," J. Opt. Soc. Amer. A, Vol. 18, 2823-2832, 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.18.002823
43. Bock, P. J., P. Cheben, J. H. Schmid, J. Lapointe, A. Delâge, D.-X. Xu, S. Janz, A. Densmore, and T. J. Hall, "Subwavelength grating crossings for silicon wire waveguides," Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 15, 16146-16155, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.016146