A novel method based on the hybrid volume-surface integral equation (VSIE) and the impedance matrix interpolation technique is presented for the fast analysis of microstrip antennas in frequency sweeps. A novel impedance matrix interpolation scheme is extended to the impedance matrix associated with VSIE, thus providing high accuracy, high efficiency, and large interpolation bandwidth for metal-dielectric composite problems. To demonstrate the effectiveness and accuracy of the proposed technique, numerical results for typical rectangular patch antennas and a broadband U-slot rectangular patch antenna are presented. Good agreement among the interpolation results, the exact method of moments (MoM) solutions, the finite element method (FEM) solutions, and measured data is observed over the bandwidth. The interpolation bandwidth is further investigated through a scattering problem. Numerical results show that high accuracy is obtainable within 10:1 bandwidth.
"Fast Analysis of Microstrip Antennas Over
a Frequency Band Using an Accurate MoM
Matrix Interpolation Technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 109, 301-324, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10081107
1. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, IEEE Press, New York, 1993.
2. Chew, W. C., J. Jin, C. Lu, E. Michielssen, and J. M. Song, "Fast solution methods in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 3, 533-543, Mar. 1997.
3. Chew, W. C. and Q. H. Liu, "Resonance frequency of a rectangular microstrip patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 36, No. 8, 1045-1056, Aug. 1988.
4. Wilton, D. R., "Review of current status and trends in the use of integral equations in computational electromagnetics," Electromagn., Vol. 12, 287-341, 1992.
5. Chen, C. and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Modeling microstrip line fed slot antennas with arbitrary shape," Electromagn., Vol. 15, No. 5, 567-586, Sept./Oct. 1995.
6. Lu, C. C., "Volume-surface integral equation," Fast and Efficient Algorithms in Computational Electromagnetics, W. C. Chew, J. M. Jin, E. Michielssen, and J. M. Ming (eds.), 487-540, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
7. Ebadi, S. and K. Forooraghi, "Green's function derivation of an annular waveguide for application in method of moment analysis of annular waveguide slot antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 101-119, 2009.
8. Papakanellos, P. J., "Accuracy and complexity assessment of sub-domain moment methods for arrays of thin-wire loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 1-15, 2008.
9. Lashab, M., F. Benabdelaziz, and C.-E. Zebiri, "Analysis of electromagnetics scattering from reflector and cylindrical antennas using wavelet-based moment method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 357-368, 2007.
10. Zhao, J., W. C. Chew, C. Lu, E. Michielssen, and J. Song, "Thin-stratified medium fast-multipole algorithm for solving microstrip structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 4, 395-403, Apr. 1998.
11. Millard, X. and Q. H. Liu, "A fast volume integral equation solver for electromagnetic scattering from large inhomogeneous objects in planarly layered media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2393-2401, Sep. 2003.
12. Yeo, J. and R. Mittra, "An algorithm for interpolating the frequency variations of method-of-moments matrices arising in the analysis of planar microstrip structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 3, 1018-1025, 2003.
13. Liu, Z.-F., P.-S. Kooi, L.-W. Li, M.-S. Leong, and T.-S. Yeo, "A method of moments analysis of a microstrip phased array in three-layered structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 31, 155-179, 2001.
14. Li, L.-W., Y. Dan, M.-S. Leong, T.-S. Yeo, and J. A. Kong, "Plane wave scattering by an achiral multilayered sphere in an infinitely extended chiral host medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 261-298, 2001.
15. Poggio, A. J. and E. K. Miller, Integral Equation Solution of Three Dimensional Scattering Problems, Permagon, Elmsford, NY, 1973.
16. Chang, Y. and R. F. Harrington, "A surface formulation for characteristic modes of material bodies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 25, 789-795, 1977.
17. Wu, T. K. and L. L. Tsai, "Scattering from arbitrarily-shaped lossy dielectric bodies of revolution," Radio Science, Vol. 12, 709-718, 1977.
18. Ylä-Oijala, P., M. Taskinen, and J. Sarvas, "Surface integral equation method for general composite metallic and dielectric structures with junctions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 81-108, 2005.
19. Mohsen, A. A. K. and A. K. Abdelmageed, "The uniqueness problem of the surface integral equations of a conducting body in a layered medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 23, 277-300, 1999.
20. Usner, B. C., "Generalized hybrid methods for modeling complex electromagnetic structures,", Ph.D. dissertation, The Ohio State University, 2006.
21. Sarkar, T. K., S. M. Rao, and A. R. Djordjević, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation from finite microstrip structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 38, No. 11, 1568-1575, Nov. 1990.
22. Rao, S. M., C. C. Cha, R. L. Cravey, and D. L. Wilkes, "Electromagnetic scattering from arbitrary shaped conducting bodies coated with lossy materials of arbitrary thickness," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 5, 627-631, May 1991.
23. Kishk, A. A., A. W. Glisson, and P. M. Goggans, "Scattering from conductors with materials of arbitrary thickness," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, No. 1, 108-111, Jan. 1992.
24. Medgyesi-Mitschang, L. N., J. M. Putnam, and M. B. Gedera, "Generalized method of moments for three-dimensional penetrable scatterers," J. Opt. Soc. of Amer. A, Vol. 11, No. 4, 1383-1398, Apr. 1994.
25. Kolundžija, B. M., "Electromagnetic modeling of composite metallic and dielectric structures," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 7, 1021-1032, Jul. 1999.
26. He, S., Z. Nie, J. Wei, and J. Hu, "A highly efficient numerical solution for dielectric-coated PEC targets," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 19, No. 1, 65-79, Feb. 2009.
27. Virga, K. L. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Efficient wide-band evaluation of mobile communications antennas using [Z] or [Y ] matrix interpolation with the method of moments," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 1, 65-76, Jan. 1999.
28. Newman, E. H. and D. Forrai, "Scattering from a microstrip patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, No. 3, 245-251, Mar. 1987.
29. Karwowski, A. and A. Noga, "On the interpolation of the frequency variations of the MoM-PO impedance matrix over a wide bandwidth," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 3, 738-741, Mar. 2008.
30. Zhou, H. X. and W. Hong, "Fast generation of [Z] matrix in the method of moments over a wide frequency band by means of Hermite polynomial interpolation," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microw. Conf. (APMC' 02), Vol. 2, 1196-1199, Kyoto, Japan, Nov. 19-22, 2002.
31. Newman, E. H., "Generation of wide-band data from the method of moments by interpolating the impedance matrix," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, No. 12, 1820-1824, Dec. 1988.
32. Li, W., H. Zhou, W. Hong, and T. Weiland, "An accurate interpolation scheme with derivative term for generating MoM matrices in frequency sweeps," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2376-2385, Aug. 2009.
33. Gennarelli, C., G. Riccio, C. Savarese, and V. Speranza, "Fast and accurate interpolation of radiated fields over a cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 8, 349-375, 1994.
34. Zeng, Z. and C. C. Lu, "Discretization of hybrid VSIE using mixed mesh elements with zeroth-order galerkin basis functions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1863-1870, Jun. 2006.
35. Wandzura, S., "Electric current basis functions for curved surfaces," Electromagn., Vol. 12, No. 1, 77-91, Jan. 1992.
36. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surfaces of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, May 1982.
37. Havé, P., "A parallel implementation of the fast multipole method for Maxwell's equations," Int. J. Numer. Meth. Fluid, Vol. 43, 839-864, 2003.
38. Makarov, S., S. Kulkarni, A. Marut, and L. Kempel, "Method of moments solution for a printed patch/slot antenna on a thin finite dielectric substrate using the volume integral equation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1174-1184, Apr. 2006.
39. Makarov, S., S. Kulkarni, A. Marut, and L. Kempel, "Design and analysis of wideband planar monopole antennas using the multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 15, 95-112, 2009.
40. Tong, K., K. Luk, K. Lee, and R. Lee, "A broad-band Uslot rectangular patch antenna on a microwave substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 6, 954-960, Jun. 2000.
41. Yuan, N., T. Yeo, X. Nie, Y. Gan, and L. Li, "Analysis of probe-fed conformal microstrip antennas on finite grounded substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 2, 554-563, Feb. 2006.