This paper presents a new unequally spaced and excited resonant slotted-waveguide antenna array. It is realized by employing an improved resonant-slot coupled cavity chain composite right/left-handed (CRLH) waveguide. As the CRLH waveguide works at the infinite wavelength frequency, all the slot elements along the waveguide wall are excited in-phase. Thus both the element spacings and excitation amplitudes are introduced into the synthesis to realize a resonant slotted-waveguide antenna array. A seven-element unequally spaced and excited antenna array which generates pencil beam is synthesized, simulated and fabricated. The results show, with comparison to the equally spaced but unequally excited resonant slotted-waveguide antenna array, the proposed unequally spaced and excited array produces a lower peak sidelobe level (PSLL).
1. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471754323
2. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative-Refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471744751
3. Eshrah, I. A., et al., "Rectangular waveguide with dielectric-filled corrugations supporting backward waves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3298-3304, Nov. 2005.
4. Liao, S., et al., "Left-handed transmission line based on resonant slot coupled cavity chain," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 292-294, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.892970
5. Ueda, T., et al., "Dielectric-resonator-based composite right/left-handed transmission lines and their application to leaky wave antenna," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 10, 2259-2269, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.2003524
6. Ikeda, T., et al., "Beam-scanning performance of leaky-wave slot-antenna array on variable stub-loaded left-handed waveguide," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3611-3618, Dec. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2007278
7. Abdelaziz, A. F., et al., "Realization of composite right/left-handed transmission line using coupled lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 299-315, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09040305
8. Monti, G., R. De Paolis, and L. Tarricone, "Design of a 3-state reconfigurable CRLH transmission line based on MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 283-297, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071109
9. Jimenez-Martin, J. L., et al., "Dual band high efficiency class CE power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071609
10. De Castro-Galan, D., L. E. Garcia Munoz, D. Segovia-Vargas, and V. Gonzalez-Posadas, "Diversity monopulse antenna based on a dual-frequency and dual mode CRLH ratrace coupler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 87-106, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09030603
11. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08050404
12. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07082902
13. Liao, S., Y. Chen, J. Wei, and J. Xu, "Unequally spaced resonant slotted-waveguide antenna array based on the infinite wavelength propagation property of composite right/left-handed waveguide," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 451-454, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2050132
14. Hrabar, S., H. Kumric, and D. Zaluski, "Investigation of guiding and radiating properties of resonant-slot coupled cavity chain," 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 3147-3150, 2009.
15. Unz, H., "Linear arrays with arbitrarily distributed elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propaga., Vol. 8, 222-223, Mar. 1960.
16. Kumar, B. P. and G. R. Branner, "Design of unequally spaced arrays for performance improvement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 3, 511-523, Mar. 1999. doi:10.1109/8.768787
17. Allen, M. A. and G. S. Kino, "On the theory of strongly coupled cavity chains," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 8, No. 3, 362-372, May 1960. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1960.1125246
18. Bevensee, R. M., "Propagation in the helical and narrow-band slow wave structures," IRE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 8, No. 6, 549-558, 1961. doi:10.1109/T-ED.1961.14875
19. Ramo, S., J. R. Whinnery, and T. V. Duzer, Fields and Waves in Communication Electronics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1994.
20. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook: Four-terminal Structures, Peter Peregrinus, 1986.
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3 Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
22. HFSS, Version 12.0.0, Ansoft Corporation, Pittsburgh, USA, 2009.